-   -   After logging out in gnome3 or xfce, I still see some of the user's processes (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/539440-after-logging-out-gnome3-xfce-i-still-see-some-users-processes.html)

Ed Greshko 06-14-2011 05:41 AM

On 06/14/2011 01:32 PM, Joachim Backes wrote:
> If a user runs a gnome3 or xfce session and then logs out, not all
> processes are killed. I see at least pulseaudio running.
>
> The most processes I saw after having logged out, were:
>
> 9371 ? 00:00:00 menu-cached
> 12441 ? 00:00:00 pulseaudio
> 12448 ? 00:00:00 gconf-helper
> 12592 ? 00:00:00 gnome-keyring-d
>
> Somebody sees this too?

Well, I see it...and then I don't......

After logout these processes hang around for maybe 15~30 seconds after
the login screen is presented.
But do go away....

Do yours remain?

Joachim Backes 06-14-2011 05:52 AM

On 06/14/2011 07:41 AM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 06/14/2011 01:32 PM, Joachim Backes wrote:
>> If a user runs a gnome3 or xfce session and then logs out, not all
>> processes are killed. I see at least pulseaudio running.
>>
>> The most processes I saw after having logged out, were:
>>
>> 9371 ? 00:00:00 menu-cached
>> 12441 ? 00:00:00 pulseaudio
>> 12448 ? 00:00:00 gconf-helper
>> 12592 ? 00:00:00 gnome-keyring-d
>>
>> Somebody sees this too?
>>

> Well, I see it...and then I don't......
>
> After logout these processes hang around for maybe 15~30 seconds after
> the login screen is presented.
> But do go away....
>
> Do yours remain?

1. pulseaudio and gconf-helper disappear after about 30 secs
2. gnome-keyring-daemon and menu-cached remain. It seems they are immune
against logout.

Kind regards

http://www.rhrk.uni-kl.de/~backes

Joe Zeff 06-14-2011 04:53 PM

On 06/13/2011 10:52 PM, Joachim Backes wrote:
> 1. pulseaudio and gconf-helper disappear after about 30 secs
> 2. gnome-keyring-daemon and menu-cached remain. It seems they are immune
> against logout.

I don't know about Gnome3, but under XFCE wallpapoz survives a logout.
I've mentioned it to the author, but he doesn't think it's that
important because "most people don't log out and in." I suspect that he
doesn't actually use XFCE because that's the only way to get some
setting changes to take effect.