FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 06-13-2011, 08:22 PM
Aaron Konstam
 
Default Still some mysteries about FC15

TO FIX A MANGLED SUBJECT LINE

Well I was on vacation so I only installed FC15 today.
And some strange tings occurred.
1, The wiki pages on systemd say that chkconfig --less
does not work. That is not true. I know its a wiki and I can make
changes. Well maybe sometime.
2. The method for making the cursor's focus become active when you move
the cursor onto a window is well hidden. Why should that be. As far as I
can find the only way to do that is to install gconf-editor and change
/apps/metacity/general/focus_mode from clean to sloppy. That is not too
obvious. Does anyone know another way to do it?
3. Someone needs to give the Gnome3 people a lesson on instructional
videos. They go too fast so the use of workspaces and lining up 2 widows
next to each other are still a mystery. Does anyone have better
explanation of these topics.
4. Why are things like gnotes not installed by default?

That is enough for now. I will keep working on it.
--
================================================== =====================
Sanity is the trademark of a weak mind. -- Mark Harrold
================================================== =====================
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam@sbcglobal.net

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines

--
================================================== =====================
When among apes, one must play the ape.
================================================== =====================
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam@sbcglobal.net

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 06-13-2011, 09:55 PM
Antonio Olivares
 
Default Still some mysteries about FC15

Aaron,

--- On Mon, 6/13/11, Aaron Konstam <akonstam@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> From: Aaron Konstam <akonstam@sbcglobal.net>
> Subject: Still some mysteries about FC15
> To: "users" <users@lists.fedoraproject.org>
> Date: Monday, June 13, 2011, 1:22 PM
>
> TO FIX A MANGLED SUBJECT LINE

> 3. Someone needs to give the* Gnome3 people a lesson
> on instructional
> videos. They go too fast so the use of workspaces and
> lining up 2 widows
> next to each other* are still a mystery. Does anyone
> have better
> explanation of these topics.

``lining up 2 widows`` for who? 2 widows, I would bet that you meant windows right? You can set one running program and with the mouse move it to the left till you can see it going to the middle and then you can do something similarly with another program in another windows but to the right and have two windows side by side. This is what you mean right?


They do this so we can switch between two applications quickly and/or view two things at once?, others can share more. I don't have too many windows open at once

> That is enough for now. I will keep working on it.
> --

Regards,

Antonio
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 06-14-2011, 02:53 AM
Rahul Sundaram
 
Default Still some mysteries about FC15

On 06/14/2011 01:52 AM, Aaron Konstam wrote:FC15 today.
> 1, The wiki pages on systemd say that chkconfig --less
> does not work. That is not true. I know its a wiki and I can make
> changes. Well maybe sometime.

Please be more specific.

> 4. Why are things like gnotes not installed by default?

You mean Gnote? It needs to ported to GTK 3 and integrate better with
the shell

Rahul
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 06-14-2011, 07:21 AM
Michael Schwendt
 
Default Still some mysteries about FC15

On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 08:23:01 +0530, RS wrote:

> On 06/14/2011 01:52 AM, Aaron Konstam wrote:FC15 today.
> > 1, The wiki pages on systemd say that chkconfig --less
> > does not work. That is not true. I know its a wiki and I can make
> > changes. Well maybe sometime.
>
> Please be more specific.

Can it be more specific than this?
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Systemd#Does_chkconfig_command_work_with_systemd.3 F

If Aaron wants a longer explanation, he should raise a clear question
instead of what he has done above.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 06-14-2011, 07:29 AM
Mike Williams
 
Default Still some mysteries about FC15

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 3:21 AM, Michael Schwendt <mschwendt@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 08:23:01 +0530, RS wrote:
>
>> On 06/14/2011 01:52 AM, Aaron Konstam wrote:FC15 today.
>> > 1, The wiki pages on systemd say that chkconfig --less
>> > does not work. That is not true. I know its a wiki and I can make
>> > changes. Well maybe sometime.
>>
>> Please be more specific.
>
> Can it be more specific than this?
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Systemd#Does_chkconfig_command_work_with_systemd.3 F

I don't have f15, yet... does chkconfig --list still output the SysV
services? If so, maybe that is what caused Aaron's confusion, if it
outputs the things that are in init.d then maybe that is leading him
to think it is working.

Just a WAG, hope I haven't further muddied the water ;-)
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 06-14-2011, 10:05 AM
Timothy Murphy
 
Default Still some mysteries about FC15

Mike Williams wrote:

> I don't have f15, yet... does chkconfig --list still output the SysV
> services?

It seems to, as far as I can see.

Conversely, does "systemctl -t service" list all SysV services?
And is this the recommended command to list services now?

The output seems to me fuller but in a much less convenient form
than "chkconfig --list".


--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366
s-mail: School of Mathematics, Trinity College, Dublin 2, Ireland

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 06-14-2011, 10:15 AM
Ed Greshko
 
Default Still some mysteries about FC15

On 06/14/2011 06:05 PM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Mike Williams wrote:
>
>> I don't have f15, yet... does chkconfig --list still output the SysV
>> services?
> It seems to, as far as I can see.
>
> Conversely, does "systemctl -t service" list all SysV services?
> And is this the recommended command to list services now?
>
> The output seems to me fuller but in a much less convenient form
> than "chkconfig --list".
>

And somewhat confusing too.....

Take sshd and sendmail as an example. Both are SysV services and show
up this way when chkconfig is run....

sendmail 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
sshd 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff

But when you run systemctl they show up thus....

sendmail.service loaded active exited LSB: start and stop
sendmail
sshd.service loaded active running LSB: Start up the
OpenSSH server daemon

Now, why does sendmail say "exited" and sshd say "running"? Both are
up and responding....

When I see "exited" I think "finished" as in "terminated" as in "not
running". But, clearly it is....




--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 06-14-2011, 01:23 PM
Aaron Konstam
 
Default Still some mysteries about FC15

On Tue, 2011-06-14 at 08:23 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> On 06/14/2011 01:52 AM, Aaron Konstam wrote:FC15 today.
> > 1, The wiki pages on systemd say that chkconfig --less
> > does not work. That is not true. I know its a wiki and I can make
> > changes. Well maybe sometime.
>
> Please be more specific.
>
> > 4. Why are things like gnotes not installed by default?
>
> You mean Gnote? It needs to ported to GTK 3 and integrate better with
> the shell
>
> Rahul

Ok , I accept your point. Then why is gnome-tweak-tool not included by
default? One needs this program too configure Gnome 3
--
================================================== =====================
Riches: A gift from Heaven signifying, "This is my beloved son, in whom
I am well pleased." -- John D. Rockefeller, (slander by Ambrose Bierce)
================================================== =====================
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam@sbcglobal.net

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 06-14-2011, 01:29 PM
Aaron Konstam
 
Default Still some mysteries about FC15

On Tue, 2011-06-14 at 03:29 -0400, Mike Williams wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 3:21 AM, Michael Schwendt <mschwendt@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 08:23:01 +0530, RS wrote:
> >
> >> On 06/14/2011 01:52 AM, Aaron Konstam wrote:FC15 today.
> >> > 1, The wiki pages on systemd say that chkconfig --less
> >> > does not work. That is not true. I know its a wiki and I can make
> >> > changes. Well maybe sometime.
> >>
> >> Please be more specific.
> >
> > Can it be more specific than this?
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Systemd#Does_chkconfig_command_work_with_systemd.3 F
>
> I don't have f15, yet... does chkconfig --list still output the SysV
> services? If so, maybe that is what caused Aaron's confusion, if it
> outputs the things that are in init.d then maybe that is leading him
> to think it is working.
>
> Just a WAG, hope I haven't further muddied the water ;-)

No you are right on point. It does show SysV services only but not
native systemd services. I guess I am not clear which are these latter
services.
--
================================================== =====================
"Your attitude determines your attitude." -- Zig Ziglar,
self-improvement doofus
================================================== =====================
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam@sbcglobal.net

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 06-14-2011, 01:37 PM
Rahul Sundaram
 
Default Still some mysteries about FC15

On 06/14/2011 06:53 PM, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> Ok , I accept your point. Then why is gnome-tweak-tool not included by
> default? One needs this program too configure Gnome 3

It is not part of default GNOME. It is a extra (essentially, third
party) utility for tweaking things which are not regular preferences via
the control panel. It is merely a more accessible frontend to gsettings
than dconf-editor is. This tool and extensions won't be installed by
default.

Rahul

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:14 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org