Old 06-13-2011, 07:45 PM
Luc Lalonde

Default nss_ldap + sssd for hostname resolution

Hello Folks,

I can't seem to get a combination that was working with Fedora 13 to work with Fedora 15.

In Fedora 13 I would use these settings in /etc/nsswitch.conf:

hosts: files dns ldap

And in /etc/ldap.conf:

nss_base_hosts ou=Hosts,dc=foobar,dc=org?one

If I try to do this on Fedora 15, it doesn't work at all. Is there a way to do this without having to install 'nss_ldap'? I also would like to get the 'netgroups' from LDAP... this was also working with Fedora 13.

As it is now, I'm using 'nis' as a workaround for these mappings when I should be doing it with 'ldap'.

Thank You!

--
Luc Lalonde, analyste

Old 06-13-2011, 08:00 PM
Nalin Dahyabhai

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 03:45:50PM -0400, Luc Lalonde wrote:
> Hello Folks,
>
> I can't seem to get a combination that was working with Fedora 13 to work with Fedora 15.
>
> In Fedora 13 I would use these settings in /etc/nsswitch.conf:
>
> hosts: files dns ldap

I really would recommend not doing that -- the LDAP client libraries
tend to depend on hostname resolution, so using them for hostname
resolution has often caused problems when 'files' or 'dns' couldn't come
up with an answer that was asked for while connecting to the directory
server. In those cases, the nss_ldap module would then recurse into
itself. If the host name resolution path involved taking a lock, the
process would get stuck, and if it didn't, it would encounter the same
problem and keep recursing until it crashed.

> And in /etc/ldap.conf:
>
> nss_base_hosts ou=Hosts,dc=foobar,dc=org?one
>
> If I try to do this on Fedora 15, it doesn't work at all. Is there a way to do this without having to install 'nss_ldap'? I also would like to get the 'netgroups' from LDAP... this was also working with Fedora 13.

If you're using nss-pam-ldapd, you'd want to put something like this in
your /etc/nslcd.conf and make sure the nslcd service is started:
base hosts ou=Hosts,dc=foobar,dc=org?one

HTH,

Nalin

Old 06-13-2011, 08:04 PM
Stephen Gallagher

On Mon, 2011-06-13 at 15:45 -0400, Luc Lalonde wrote:
> Hello Folks,
>
> I can't seem to get a combination that was working with Fedora 13 to
> work with Fedora 15.
>
> In Fedora 13 I would use these settings in /etc/nsswitch.conf:
>
> hosts: files dns ldap
>
> And in /etc/ldap.conf:
>
> nss_base_hosts ou=Hosts,dc=foobar,dc=org?one
>
> If I try to do this on Fedora 15, it doesn't work at all. Is there a
> way to do this without having to install 'nss_ldap'? I also would
> like to get the 'netgroups' from LDAP... this was also working with
> Fedora 13.

Fedora 15 switched to nss-pam-ldapd, which uses the /etc/nslcd.conf file
instead of /etc/ldap.conf (which was easy to confuse with the config
file for openldap).

SSSD now supports netgroups in Fedora 15, so you can just use
netgroups: files sss

We don't yet support the 'hosts' map, see
https://fedorahosted.org/sssd/ticket/359

Old 06-13-2011, 08:16 PM
Nalin Dahyabhai

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 04:00:45PM -0400, Nalin Dahyabhai wrote:
> If you're using nss-pam-ldapd, you'd want to put something like this in
> your /etc/nslcd.conf and make sure the nslcd service is started:
> base hosts ou=Hosts,dc=foobar,dc=org?one

Strike that. It would actually be more like:
base hosts ou=Hosts,dc=foobar,dc=org
scope hosts one

Cheers,

Nalin