Old 06-13-2011, 07:38 PM
BeartoothHOS

Default Current preupgrade?

Some weeks ago, when preupgrade led or could lead to F15 Beta, I
tried it and got royally snarled up. I never did get Gnome3 to boot
properly on that machine, and finally installed Scientific Linux, which I
also wanted to try. (I like it.)

I'm thinking I might want to try F15 again. I got a look at it
with Gnome3 by running a live CD -- and didn't do very well. So I'd like
also to be able to run Xfce instead of Gnome3. Is there a way to do that?
Alt-F2 to gnome-terminal to root to "yum install xfce," maybe?

Old 06-13-2011, 08:19 PM
suvayu ali

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 12:38 PM, BeartoothHOS <beartooth@comcast.net> wrote:
> yum install xfce

# yum groupinstall xfce

--
Suvayu

Old 06-13-2011, 08:25 PM
Ranjan Maitra

I have never had any success with preupgrade so have sworn off it.
Instead, I have used yum following the instructions at:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/YumUpgradeFaq#Fedora_14_-.3E_Fedora_15

It was effortless this last time around.

It appears, however, that you would like to use XFCE instead of G3. In
that case, why not do a clear install from the F15 LiveCD XFCE spin?

Many thanks and best wishes,
Ranjan

Old 06-13-2011, 09:19 PM
BeartoothHOS

On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 13:19:11 -0700, suvayu ali wrote:

> yum groupinstall xfce

Done, with thanks. Stay tuned.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:04 PM
BeartoothHOS

On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 15:25:39 -0500, Ranjan Maitra wrote:
[....]
> It appears, however, that you would like to use XFCE instead of G3. In
> that case, why not do a clear install from the F15 LiveCD XFCE spin?

I wrote a reply yesterday, which seems to have evaporated into
cyberspace; but today's events have rendered it nugatory anyhow.

Preupgrade hit me with the old bad problem of boot space. Rather
than slog through that yet again, I did a fresh install (from an F15
DVD). This was onto a refurbished IBM Thinkpad T42. It completed, called
for a reboot, and took me through the firstboot routine.

When I first tried to log into Gnome3, I got an error message
which I failed to write down, expecting to see it many more times. (I
didn't.) It seemed to be telling me the T42 was not machine enough to run
F15.

When I logged out and back in, though, all seemed to work -- for
a while. But when I let the machine alone for half an hour or so, it
filled the screen with cryptic messages and froze. The same happened a
couple more times with Gnome, and then also a couple of times with Xfce.

Unless someone knows better, I conclude that the T42 really isn't
machine enough for F15. (It had been running F14 quite happily.) <sigh>