Old 06-13-2011, 12:21 PM
Javier Perez

Default software time lock and web access control

Hi
Is there any easy to use and setup program to control web access for a user? also to set time of day allowed usage of certain programs?
This for a home computer using Fedora 14.

I know maybe a combintion of IPTABLES and probably SQUID should do the trick, but

1. I want something easy to use and modify, not something that would force me to open the gusts of the system up.
2. Likewise, I am not sure if I can block stuff on a user basis with IPTABLES and SQUID. As Far as I have read, whatever configuration I set up with them, will work the same for ALL Users.

So far I just started studying this issue an I am just beginning my research, I just want to be pointed at on the right direction.

In the end I know once kids learn enough they will be able to bypass all these walls, but I will deal with it when I reach that level...

--
------------------------------
*/\_/**

* m m** * * Pepebuho watches
* * * * * ** ** from his high perch.

Old 06-13-2011, 04:09 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 07:21:46 -0500,
Javier Perez <pepebuho@gmail.com> wrote:

> I know maybe a combintion of IPTABLES and probably SQUID should do the
> trick, but

You can probably just use iptables and a cron job. iptables has a way to
check packets associated with particular users. So you should be able to
block common ports used for web traffic or all traffic not destined for the
local network for particular users.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:14 PM
Arthur Dent

On Mon, 2011-06-13 at 07:21 -0500, Javier Perez wrote:
> Hi
> Is there any easy to use and setup program to control web access for a
> user? also to set time of day allowed usage of certain programs?
> This for a home computer using Fedora 14.
>
> I know maybe a combintion of IPTABLES and probably SQUID should do the
> trick, but
>
> 1. I want something easy to use and modify, not something that would
> force me to open the gusts of the system up.
> 2. Likewise, I am not sure if I can block stuff on a user basis with
> IPTABLES and SQUID. As Far as I have read, whatever configuration I
> set up with them, will work the same for ALL Users.
>
> So far I just started studying this issue an I am just beginning my
> research, I just want to be pointed at on the right direction.
>
> In the end I know once kids learn enough they will be able to bypass
> all these walls, but I will deal with it when I reach that level...

Check out SquidGuard http://www.squidguard.org/

Available in the Fedora repos...

Quite easy to configure as long as you have squid running OK.