Old 06-12-2011, 09:02 PM
Reid Rivenburgh

Default systemd problem with some services

I preupgraded from F14 to F15 a few weeks ago. It's mostly running
fine now, but there are some services that aren't working properly
with systemd. Two examples are ddclient (which updates my IP address
with dyndns) and pyTivo (a server for Tivo). They don't start on
boot. Here's what I get:

% systemctl start pyTivo.service
Job failed. See system logs and 'systemctl status' for details.
% systemctl status pyTivo.service
pyTivo.service - SYSV: Start and stop the pyTivo server.
Loaded: loaded (/etc/rc.d/init.d/pyTivo)
Active: failed since Sun, 12 Jun 2011 14:49:39 -0600; 6s ago
Process: 11382 ExecStart=/etc/rc.d/init.d/pyTivo start
(code=exited, status=203/EXEC)
CGroup: name=systemd:/system/pyTivo.service

No pyTivo process is running. This works fine still:

% /etc/rc.d/init.d/pyTivo start

Which seems identical to the output of systemctl status, so I'm confused.

ddclient is at least a fedora package, so I figured it'd work better.
I don't get any errors when I start it with systemctl, but I get this:

% systemctl status ddclient.service
ddclient.service - LSB: Client to update dynamic DNS host entries
Loaded: loaded (/etc/rc.d/init.d/ddclient)
Active: active (exited) since Sun, 12 Jun 2011 14:45:02
-0600; 11min ago
Process: 11263 ExecStop=/etc/rc.d/init.d/ddclient stop
(code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Process: 11271 ExecStart=/etc/rc.d/init.d/ddclient start
(code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
CGroup: name=systemd:/system/ddclient.service

There's no ddclient process running after this. It also doesn't work
with a direct call to the init.d script. I have to run it by hand.
The conf file has it set to run as a daemon, if it matters..

There may be others with problems, but those are the ones I've
noticed. I'm new to systemd, obviously, and don't know what the
problem is. Any hints...? I think I have SELinux disabled, if it
helps.

Thanks,
Reid

Old 06-12-2011, 09:24 PM
Tom Horsley

> I'm new to systemd, obviously, and don't know what the
> problem is.

As are we all :-). I had problems getting stunnel to start.
I think the key here is networking. It sure seems like any
services that need to talk right away on the network (versus
merely listening) don't work during the boot.

I put a "service stunnel restart" in /etc/rc.local and
it seems to function OK if I do that.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:30 PM
Reid Rivenburgh

On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 3:24 PM, Tom Horsley <horsley1953@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm new to systemd, obviously, and don't know what the
>> problem is.
>
> As are we all :-). I had problems getting stunnel to start.
> I think the key here is networking. It sure seems like any
> services that need to talk right away on the network (versus
> merely listening) don't work during the boot.
>
> I put a "service stunnel restart" in /etc/rc.local and
> it seems to function OK if I do that.

Heh. Interesting.... Networking is clearly up and running now
(booted awhile ago), and I'm still seeing these issues when I manually
run systemctl. I appreciate the tip, but surely it's something else
in my case....

Reid