Old 06-12-2011, 02:51 PM
Bob Goodwin

Default Default browser problem -

F-15 and Firefox simply do not work as I want them to so I
installed Google Chrome to try it.

However when I click on a link in an e-mail message in
Thunderbird it keeps starting Firefox instead of the default
browser, Chrome.

What am I missing, I've been through the menus several times and
don't see the cause?

Bob

Old 06-12-2011, 03:11 PM
James McKenzie

On 6/12/11 7:51 AM, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> F-15 and Firefox simply do not work as I want them to so I
> installed Google Chrome to try it.
>
> However when I click on a link in an e-mail message in
> Thunderbird it keeps starting Firefox instead of the default
> browser, Chrome.
Did you change the hypertext Application from Firefox to Chrome?

James McKenzie

Old 06-12-2011, 03:27 PM
Tim Evans

Check recent archives for this list. I have been reporting the same problem in reverse--that is, my system invokes Chrome when FF is set to default browser.

Sent from my iPad

Old 06-12-2011, 04:22 PM
Bob Goodwin

On 12/06/11 11:11, James McKenzie wrote:
> On 6/12/11 7:51 AM, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>> F-15 and Firefox simply do not work as I want them to so I
>> installed Google Chrome to try it.
>>
>> However when I click on a link in an e-mail message in
>> Thunderbird it keeps starting Firefox instead of the default
>> browser, Chrome.
> Did you change the hypertext Application from Firefox to Chrome?
>
> James McKenzie

"hypertext Application"

Where do I find that?

"Preferred Applications" shows Chrome as the default. I probably
should have mentioned that this is F-15/XFCE although the
problem is with Mozilla Thunderbird so I would not expect the
desktop to cause the problem.

Bob
.

Old 06-12-2011, 04:43 PM
Steven Stern

On 06/12/2011 11:22 AM, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> On 12/06/11 11:11, James McKenzie wrote:
>> On 6/12/11 7:51 AM, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>>> F-15 and Firefox simply do not work as I want them to so I
>>> installed Google Chrome to try it.
>>>
>>> However when I click on a link in an e-mail message in
>>> Thunderbird it keeps starting Firefox instead of the default
>>> browser, Chrome.
>> Did you change the hypertext Application from Firefox to Chrome?
>>
>> James McKenzie
>>

> "hypertext Application"
>
> Where do I find that?
>
> "Preferred Applications" shows Chrome as the default. I probably
> should have mentioned that this is F-15/XFCE although the
> problem is with Mozilla Thunderbird so I would not expect the
> desktop to cause the problem.
>
> Bob
> .

Something's seriously broken and changing the default apps just doesn't
work consistently. This applies throughout the Gnome3 shell. You need
to edit ~/.thunderbird/yourprofile/ and edit mimeTypes.rdf:

Find and edit the stanzas referencing firefox. The should be for http,
https, and ftp.

<RDFescription RDF:about="urn:scheme:externalApplication:http"
NCrettyName="google-chrome"
NCath="/opt/google/chrome/google-chrome" />
<RDFescription RDF:about="urn:scheme:externalApplication:https"
NCrettyName="google-chrome"
NCath="/opt/google/chrome/google-chrome" />
<RDFescription RDF:about="urn:scheme:externalApplication:ftp"

--
-- Steve

Old 06-12-2011, 04:46 PM
James McKenzie

On 6/12/11 9:22 AM, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> On 12/06/11 11:11, James McKenzie wrote:
>> On 6/12/11 7:51 AM, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>>> F-15 and Firefox simply do not work as I want them to so I
>>> installed Google Chrome to try it.
>>>
>>> However when I click on a link in an e-mail message in
>>> Thunderbird it keeps starting Firefox instead of the default
>>> browser, Chrome.
>> Did you change the hypertext Application from Firefox to Chrome?
>>
>> James McKenzie
>>

> "hypertext Application"
>
> Where do I find that?
>
> "Preferred Applications" shows Chrome as the default. I probably
> should have mentioned that this is F-15/XFCE although the
> problem is with Mozilla Thunderbird so I would not expect the
> desktop to cause the problem.
Look for Attachments (at least that is what it is called for MacIntosh,
which should be the same.) It should be on the Preferences tab/menu
item under tools in the menu bar.

James McKenzie

Old 06-12-2011, 11:16 PM
Tim Evans

Sent from my iPad

********.

Something's seriously broken and changing the default apps just doesn't
work consistently. This applies throughout the Gnome3 shell. *You need
to edit ~/.thunderbird/yourprofile/ and edit mimeTypes.rdf:

Find and edit the stanzas referencing firefox. The should be for http,
https, and ftp.

As I noted in the other thread on this topic, this did not resolve my problem. *Matter of fact, my laptop running F15 using the very same rdf file fails to open any browser from Thunderbird

Old 06-13-2011, 03:09 AM
john wendel

On 06/12/2011 04:16 PM, Tim Evans wrote:

> Sent from my iPad
>
> On Jun 12, 2011, at 12:43 PM, Steven Stern
> <subscribed-lists@sterndata.com <mailto:subscribed-lists@sterndata.com>>
> wrote:

>>> "hypertext Application"
>>>
>>> Where do I find that?
>>>
>>> "Preferred Applications" shows Chrome as the default. I probably
>>> should have mentioned that this is F-15/XFCE although the
>>> problem is with Mozilla Thunderbird so I would not expect the
>>> desktop to cause the problem.
>>>
>>> Bob
>>> .
>>>

>> Something's seriously broken and changing the default apps just doesn't
>> work consistently. This applies throughout the Gnome3 shell. You need
>> to edit ~/.thunderbird/yourprofile/ and edit mimeTypes.rdf:
>>
>> Find and edit the stanzas referencing firefox. The should be for http,
>> https, and ftp.
>>

>> As I noted in the other thread on this topic, this did not resolve my
>> problem. Matter of fact, my laptop running F15 using the very same rdf
>> file fails to open any browser from Thunderbird

Same problem here, only on F14 with Tbird 5 beta 1.

John

Old 06-13-2011, 09:00 PM
Tim Evans

>>> Something's seriously broken and changing the default apps just doesn't
>>> work consistently. This applies throughout the Gnome3 shell. You need
>>> to edit ~/.thunderbird/yourprofile/ and edit mimeTypes.rdf:
>>>
>>> Find and edit the stanzas referencing firefox. The should be for http,
>>> https, and ftp.
>>>

>> As I noted in the other thread on this topic, this did not resolve my
>> problem. Matter of fact, my laptop running F15 using the very same rdf
>> file fails to open any browser from Thunderbird

> Same problem here, only on F14 with Tbird 5 beta 1.

As an additional data point (I think the "something's seriously broken"
statement has some truth to it), I removed Chrome altogether from my
system, leaving FireFox as the only browser. After re-starting
Thunderbird, clicking on links in it does nothing at all--FireFox is not
invoked.

Thunderbird's error console reports:

Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure
code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)
[nsIExternalProtocolService.loadUrl]" nsresult: "0x80004005
(NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame ::
chrome://communicator/content/contentAreaClick.js :: openLinkExternally
:: line 188" data: no]

Don't understand this completely, but it seems clear it tried to open
Chrome.

Re-installing Chrome reverts to previously reported behavior--all links
in Thunderbird open Chrome, not FireFox.

--
Tim Evans, TKEvans.com, Inc. | 5 Chestnut Court
UNIX System Admin Consulting | Owings Mills, MD 21117