-   -   screensaver password fails first time, every time! (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/538699-screensaver-password-fails-first-time-every-time.html)

John Aldrich 06-12-2011 02:35 PM

screensaver password fails first time, every time!

Just wondering if anyone here has seen this behavior... I lock my screen
when I get up (Fedora 15 running XFCE and Xscreensaver) and when I come
back 99.999% of the time, I have to try twice to unlock the console. I
*know* I'm entering the password correctly, but it still comes up as
"authentication failed." If I immediately turn around and try again it
works. Same password, just a second attempt.

Any ideas?

Ed Greshko 06-12-2011 02:39 PM

On 06/12/2011 10:35 PM, John Aldrich wrote:
> Just wondering if anyone here has seen this behavior... I lock my screen
> when I get up (Fedora 15 running XFCE and Xscreensaver) and when I come
> back 99.999% of the time, I have to try twice to unlock the console. I
> *know* I'm entering the password correctly, but it still comes up as
> "authentication failed." If I immediately turn around and try again it
> works. Same password, just a second attempt.

Well, I've seen this behavior on my system...but it is probably for a
different reason.

I've got an HP wireless USB mouse/keyboard. When I leave it alone for
an extended period the first typed character goes "missing". Realized
this when the number of * didn't match number of times I typed a character.

John Aldrich 06-12-2011 03:21 PM

On Sun June 12 2011, Ed Greshko wrote:

> Well, I've seen this behavior on my system...but it is probably for a
> different reason.
>
> I've got an HP wireless USB mouse/keyboard. When I leave it alone for
> an extended period the first typed character goes "missing". Realized
> this when the number of * didn't match number of times I typed a
> character.

Hmm... interesting. I didn't think of that... I *do* have a wireless
keyboard and mouse (separate receivers) Maybe I ought to high "numlock" or
something first to "wake up" the keyboard... thanks!

Robert Nichols 06-12-2011 06:51 PM

On 06/12/2011 10:21 AM, John Aldrich wrote:
> On Sun June 12 2011, Ed Greshko wrote:
>>
>> Well, I've seen this behavior on my system...but it is probably for a
>> different reason.
>>
>> I've got an HP wireless USB mouse/keyboard. When I leave it alone for
>> an extended period the first typed character goes "missing". Realized
>> this when the number of * didn't match number of times I typed a
>> character.
>>
> Hmm... interesting. I didn't think of that... I *do* have a wireless
> keyboard and mouse (separate receivers) Maybe I ought to high "numlock" or
> something first to "wake up" the keyboard... thanks!

Just tap a shift key first. Anything that generates a keyboard event
should be enough.

Do NOT delete it.