FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 06-11-2011, 11:17 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan
 
Default /var/log/messages is empty

I just had occasion to look at /var/log/messages for the first time in a
while and there's nothing in it. I think this dates from my updating F14
to F15.

/etc/syslog.conf looks normal. This is the relevant stanza:

# Log anything (except mail) of level info or higher.
# Don't log private authentication messages!
*.info;mail.none;authpriv.none;cron.none /var/log/messages

Also, /lib/systemd/systemd-kmsg-syslogd is running.

I have never touched any part of the syslog configuration since first
starting to use Fedora years ago, so there's no a priori reason it
should suddenly stop working, but I assume systemd has something to do
with it.

Anyone know the magic incantation?

poc

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 06-11-2011, 11:57 PM
Ed Greshko
 
Default /var/log/messages is empty

On 06/12/2011 07:17 AM, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> I just had occasion to look at /var/log/messages for the first time in a
> while and there's nothing in it. I think this dates from my updating F14
> to F15.
>
> /etc/syslog.conf looks normal. This is the relevant stanza:
>
> # Log anything (except mail) of level info or higher.
> # Don't log private authentication messages!
> *.info;mail.none;authpriv.none;cron.none /var/log/messages
>
> Also, /lib/systemd/systemd-kmsg-syslogd is running.
>
> I have never touched any part of the syslog configuration since first
> starting to use Fedora years ago, so there's no a priori reason it
> should suddenly stop working, but I assume systemd has something to do
> with it.
>
> Anyone know the magic incantation?
>
>

I upgraded one of my systems from F14 to F15 via preupgrade. I don't
have your issue.

I don't have systemd-kmsg-syslogd running.... On this system, as well
as my fresh F15 install, /sbin/rsyslogd is running....

So, I suppose I'd investigate why rsyslogd isn't running. Has it been
disabled?

Ed
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 06-12-2011, 12:20 AM
"Garry T. Williams"
 
Default /var/log/messages is empty

On Saturday, June 11, 2011 19:17:09 Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> I just had occasion to look at /var/log/messages for the first time
> in a while and there's nothing in it. I think this dates from my
> updating F14 to F15.

This is a bug[*] in the F15 update. The fix is:

sudo systemctl enable rsyslog.service
sudo systemctl start rsyslog.service

___________________[*] https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=699198

--
Garry Williams
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 06-12-2011, 12:34 AM
Patrick O'Callaghan
 
Default /var/log/messages is empty

On Sat, 2011-06-11 at 20:20 -0400, Garry T. Williams wrote:
> On Saturday, June 11, 2011 19:17:09 Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > I just had occasion to look at /var/log/messages for the first time
> > in a while and there's nothing in it. I think this dates from my
> > updating F14 to F15.
>
> This is a bug[*] in the F15 update. The fix is:
>
> sudo systemctl enable rsyslog.service
> sudo systemctl start rsyslog.service

Excellent, that seems to have done it, thanks.

poc

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 06-12-2011, 12:54 AM
Patrick O'Callaghan
 
Default /var/log/messages is empty

On Sun, 2011-06-12 at 07:57 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 06/12/2011 07:17 AM, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > I just had occasion to look at /var/log/messages for the first time in a
> > while and there's nothing in it. I think this dates from my updating F14
> > to F15.
> >
> > /etc/syslog.conf looks normal. This is the relevant stanza:
> >
> > # Log anything (except mail) of level info or higher.
> > # Don't log private authentication messages!
> > *.info;mail.none;authpriv.none;cron.none /var/log/messages
> >
> > Also, /lib/systemd/systemd-kmsg-syslogd is running.
> >
> > I have never touched any part of the syslog configuration since first
> > starting to use Fedora years ago, so there's no a priori reason it
> > should suddenly stop working, but I assume systemd has something to do
> > with it.
> >
> > Anyone know the magic incantation?
> >
> >
>
> I upgraded one of my systems from F14 to F15 via preupgrade. I don't
> have your issue.
>
> I don't have systemd-kmsg-syslogd running.... On this system, as well
> as my fresh F15 install, /sbin/rsyslogd is running....

According to https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=699198 it
depends when you did the upgrade. Early birds got screwed on this one.

poc

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 06-12-2011, 12:59 AM
Ed Greshko
 
Default /var/log/messages is empty

On 06/12/2011 08:54 AM, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> According to https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=699198 it
> depends when you did the upgrade. Early birds got screwed on this one.

I knew there would be a reward for procrastination..... :-)
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 06-12-2011, 02:06 AM
Patrick O'Callaghan
 
Default /var/log/messages is empty

On Sun, 2011-06-12 at 08:59 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 06/12/2011 08:54 AM, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > According to https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=699198 it
> > depends when you did the upgrade. Early birds got screwed on this one.
>
> I knew there would be a reward for procrastination..... :-)

Yes, Procrastinate Now!

All the same, I can't help wondering why this wasn't considered a
blocker, given that it was known about before F15 was released. In fact
it's not even mentioned in the Release Notes.

The upshot is that many people are running systems with a bug that
they'll only notice when they need to look at a log and it's not there.
In my case I lost three weeks worth of /var/log/messages.

Note that a simple yum update does not fix this.

poc

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 06-12-2011, 03:09 AM
"Garry T. Williams"
 
Default /var/log/messages is empty

On Saturday, June 11, 2011 22:06:06 Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> All the same, I can't help wondering why this wasn't considered a
> blocker, given that it was known about before F15 was released.

QA called it a "nice to have". I think they thought it was going to
be fixed in a zero-day update:

http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/test/2011-May/100151.html

> In fact
> it's not even mentioned in the Release Notes.

Yeah, again, I think they thought it was taken care of.

> The upshot is that many people are running systems with a bug that
> they'll only notice when they need to look at a log and it's not there.
> In my case I lost three weeks worth of /var/log/messages.
>
> Note that a simple yum update does not fix this.

That's true for the pioneers. :-)

At least the QA folks want to make sure it doesn't happen again:

http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/test/2011-May/100126.html

--
Garry Williams
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:16 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org