Old 06-11-2011, 10:54 PM
Karol Babioch

Default Control + Alt + Backspace doesn't work :(

Hi,

I've upgraded one of my machines from Fedora 14 to Fedora 15 using the
DVD, which basically worked fine. There were some things to fix, but
that was due to the customizations I've made.

However there is one specific thing that doesn't seem to work, and I
can't figure out why. This is the Ctrl + Alt + Backspace shortcut in
order to restart the X server.

I've replaced /etc/inittab with /etc/inittab.pacnew, although it states
that it doesn't matter anyway as it won't be interpreted anyway.

I can't remember to have changed any settings of the X server, and it
has worked before just flawlessly. Anything I'm overlooking, or where
should I start my research?

Any help appreciated .

Best regards,
Karol Babioch

Old 06-12-2011, 03:47 AM
Steven Stern

On 06/11/2011 05:54 PM, Karol Babioch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've upgraded one of my machines from Fedora 14 to Fedora 15 using the
> DVD, which basically worked fine. There were some things to fix, but
> that was due to the customizations I've made.
>
> However there is one specific thing that doesn't seem to work, and I
> can't figure out why. This is the Ctrl + Alt + Backspace shortcut in
> order to restart the X server.
>
> I've replaced /etc/inittab with /etc/inittab.pacnew, although it states
> that it doesn't matter anyway as it won't be interpreted anyway.
>
> I can't remember to have changed any settings of the X server, and it
> has worked before just flawlessly. Anything I'm overlooking, or where
> should I start my research?
>
> Any help appreciated .
>
> Best regards,
> Karol Babioch

If you're using the Gnome shell, use ALT-F2 then r to restart the shell.

--
-- Steve

Old 06-12-2011, 04:29 AM
Ed Greshko

Steven Stern <subscribed-lists@sterndata.com> wrote:

>On 06/11/2011 05:54 PM, Karol Babioch wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've upgraded one of my machines from Fedora 14 to Fedora 15 using
>the
>> DVD, which basically worked fine. There were some things to fix, but
>> that was due to the customizations I've made.
>>
>> However there is one specific thing that doesn't seem to work, and I
>> can't figure out why. This is the Ctrl + Alt + Backspace shortcut in
>> order to restart the X server.
>>
>> I've replaced /etc/inittab with /etc/inittab.pacnew, although it
>states
>> that it doesn't matter anyway as it won't be interpreted anyway.
>>
>> I can't remember to have changed any settings of the X server, and it
>> has worked before just flawlessly. Anything I'm overlooking, or where
>> should I start my research?
>>
>> Any help appreciated .
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Karol Babioch
>>

>If you're using the Gnome shell, use ALT-F2 then r to restart the
>shell.

I don't know if ALT-F2 results in also restarting the X server. But I do know that Ctrl + Alt + Backspace has been disabled by default for a while now. Even as far back as F11 if i am not mistaken. See "man xorg.conf" for details on how to enable.

--
Sent from my Android tablet with K-9 Mail.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:42 AM
Roberto Ragusa

On 06/12/2011 12:54 AM, Karol Babioch wrote:
> However there is one specific thing that doesn't seem to work, and I
> can't figure out why. This is the Ctrl + Alt + Backspace shortcut in
> order to restart the X server.

This file could be related:

/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/00-system-setup-keyboard.conf

Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it

Old 06-12-2011, 10:36 AM
Karol Babioch

Hi,

Am 12.06.2011 11:42, schrieb Roberto Ragusa:
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/00-system-setup-keyboard.conf

this file contains the following:

Option "XkbOptions" "terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp,"

Which hadn'T worked, for whatever reason. However I now realized that
the shortcut wasn't enabled in the Gnome settings. I can't remember to
have it disabled, but now it is working . Thanks anyway.

Best regards,
Karol Babioch