Old 06-11-2011, 10:03 AM
"Joshua C."

Default Unable to fix label of /run: read-only file system.

Hi

I'm greeted with "Unable to fix label of /run: read-only file system."
every time I boot the system. After relabelling the system several
times and upgrading to the lastes selinux-policy (-29.fc15) I still
get this. There's though no obvious impact on the performance.

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this? Google didn't help that much.

--joshua

Old 06-12-2011, 12:18 AM
James McKenzie

On 6/11/11 3:03 AM, Joshua C. wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm greeted with "Unable to fix label of /run: read-only file system."
> every time I boot the system. After relabelling the system several
> times and upgrading to the lastes selinux-policy (-29.fc15) I still
> get this. There's though no obvious impact on the performance.
>
> Does anyone have any idea how to fix this? Google didn't help that much.
You can't. The filesystem is marked as RO. Is this a CD/DVD media? If
it is NOT, you have to mount the media as Read-Write so that the label
can be updated.

James.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:12 AM
"Joshua C."

2011/6/12 James McKenzie <jjmckenzie51@gmail.com>:

> You can't. *The filesystem is marked as RO. *Is this a CD/DVD media? *If
> it is NOT, you have to mount the media as Read-Write so that the label
> can be updated.
>
> James.

No, this started after I upgraded from f14 to f15. My grub entry says:

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38.8-31.fc15.x86_64 ro
root=UUID=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX rhgb quiet SYSFONT=XXXXXXXXX
LANG=en_US.UTF-8 KEYTABLE=XX
initrd /boot/initramfs-2.6.38.8-31.fc15.x86_64.img

and It's been like this since f10 I think. I saw that when I boot from
livecd/-dvd I didn't get those messages.

However during the boot process there is a messages saying
"...remounting root fs read-write...". Should I change the grub entry
(delete the ro) and if so what'll be the impact of this? Why was "ro"
passed to the kernel in the first place, anayway?

Old 06-12-2011, 02:41 PM
James McKenzie

On 6/12/11 2:12 AM, Joshua C. wrote:
> 2011/6/12 James McKenzie<jjmckenzie51@gmail.com>:
>
>> You can't. The filesystem is marked as RO. Is this a CD/DVD media? If
>> it is NOT, you have to mount the media as Read-Write so that the label
>> can be updated.
>>
>> James.
> No, this started after I upgraded from f14 to f15. My grub entry says:
>
> kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38.8-31.fc15.x86_64 ro
> root=UUID=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX rhgb quiet SYSFONT=XXXXXXXXX
> LANG=en_US.UTF-8 KEYTABLE=XX
> initrd /boot/initramfs-2.6.38.8-31.fc15.x86_64.img
>
> and It's been like this since f10 I think. I saw that when I boot from
> livecd/-dvd I didn't get those messages.
>
> However during the boot process there is a messages saying
> "...remounting root fs read-write...". Should I change the grub entry
> (delete the ro) and if so what'll be the impact of this? Why was "ro"
> passed to the kernel in the first place, anayway?
The kernel is first mounted read only so that it can be validated as not
corrupt and then remounted as read-write if it passed the check. I
would not change this unless you are certain that the kernel will never
become corrupted. This does not happen with the Live-CD as the media is
assumed to be read-only and that the mount process is to memory, not
physical media.

James McKenzie

Old 06-12-2011, 04:15 PM
"Joshua C."

2011/6/12 James McKenzie <jjmckenzie51@gmail.com>:

> The kernel is first mounted read only so that it can be validated as not
> corrupt and then remounted as read-write if it passed the check. *I
> would not change this unless you are certain that the kernel will never
> become corrupted. *This does not happen with the Live-CD as the media is
> assumed to be read-only and that the mount process is to memory, not
> physical media.
>
> James McKenzie

What's the default grub configuration in f15? Have the parameters
passed to the kernel been changed? As I said I've been updating ever
since f10 and the content of /boot/grub/menu.lst never changed.