Old 06-11-2011, 01:32 AM
Ed Greshko

Default Google Earth anyone?

Before moving to F15 I was running F11 with the nVidia drivers.

With the current kernel and nVidia drivers the X server will lock up
with 100% cpu usage when Google Earth is started....at least my system.

Now, one of the problems I am seeing with GE and nouveau is font
related. GE doesn't render Chinese.
(This worked fine on F11 with nVidia.)

If you open GE and visit the location in the attached kml file (hope it
makes it) can anyone see Chinese text after clicking on some of the
"Places" display in the area? (121.55910 E 25.04826 N)

FWIW, if I right click on one of the places and then "Save to My Places"
it will save it there...but also no Chinese is displayed. However, if I
then save that to a file...the file name is in Chinese and the kml file
also has Chinese. Can someone verify this "failure"?

I get the feeling that nVidia must somehow be loading fonts that nouveau
isn't. Is there a way to determine what fonts are not being loaded, are
missing....or?

Old 06-11-2011, 02:03 AM
Mark Eggers

On Sat, 11 Jun 2011 09:32:23 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:

> Before moving to F15 I was running F11 with the nVidia drivers.
>
> With the current kernel and nVidia drivers the X server will lock up
> with 100% cpu usage when Google Earth is started....at least my system.

The NVidia forum has a lot of posts concerning lockups and artifacts with
Xorg-server 1.10. I've been fortunate enough to avoid them, but your
configuration may be significantly different.

I'm running an overclocked NVidia 7600 GS with a fully updated Fedora 15
system. I just ran Google Earth under Gnome 3 (haven't tried KDE yet),
and had no problems.

I am running the latest beta drivers directly from NVidia (275.09.04).
There have been some reports of errors if you're running an SMP kernel
(see the NVidia forum for details), but I've not seen any issues running
on an old 2.6 GHz P4.

In short, look at the NVidia forums at www.nvnews.net, and also try the
latest beta driver.

. . . . just my two cents.

/mde/

However, I am using the latest beta drivers

Old 06-11-2011, 02:06 AM
Ed Greshko

On 06/11/2011 10:03 AM, Mark Eggers wrote:

> In short, look at the NVidia forums at www.nvnews.net, and also try the
> latest beta driver.
>
> . . . . just my two cents.
>
> /mde/
>
> However, I am using the latest beta drivers

Thanks for that bit of info. Forgot about the nVidia forums....shame on me.

Will have to give the beta drivers a shot....soon...if I can... :-)

Ed

Old 06-11-2011, 02:08 AM
H Xu

On 06/11/2011 09:32 AM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> Before moving to F15 I was running F11 with the nVidia drivers.
>
> With the current kernel and nVidia drivers the X server will lock up
> with 100% cpu usage when Google Earth is started....at least my system.
>
> Now, one of the problems I am seeing with GE and nouveau is font
> related. GE doesn't render Chinese.
> (This worked fine on F11 with nVidia.)
>
> If you open GE and visit the location in the attached kml file (hope it
> makes it) can anyone see Chinese text after clicking on some of the
> "Places" display in the area? (121.55910 E 25.04826 N)
>
> FWIW, if I right click on one of the places and then "Save to My Places"
> it will save it there...but also no Chinese is displayed. However, if I
> then save that to a file...the file name is in Chinese and the kml file
> also has Chinese. Can someone verify this "failure"?
>
> I get the feeling that nVidia must somehow be loading fonts that nouveau
> isn't. Is there a way to determine what fonts are not being loaded, are
> missing....or?

I'm using nouveau on Fedora 15 and google earth displays Chinese
characters quite well.

Old 06-11-2011, 02:41 AM
JD

On 06/10/2011 06:32 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> Before moving to F15 I was running F11 with the nVidia drivers.
>
> With the current kernel and nVidia drivers the X server will lock up
> with 100% cpu usage when Google Earth is started....at least my system.
>
> Now, one of the problems I am seeing with GE and nouveau is font
> related. GE doesn't render Chinese.
> (This worked fine on F11 with nVidia.)
>
> If you open GE and visit the location in the attached kml file (hope it
> makes it) can anyone see Chinese text after clicking on some of the
> "Places" display in the area? (121.55910 E 25.04826 N)
>
> FWIW, if I right click on one of the places and then "Save to My Places"
> it will save it there...but also no Chinese is displayed. However, if I
> then save that to a file...the file name is in Chinese and the kml file
> also has Chinese. Can someone verify this "failure"?
>
> I get the feeling that nVidia must somehow be loading fonts that nouveau
> isn't. Is there a way to determine what fonts are not being loaded, are
> missing....or?
At least, you "used" to be able to run GE.
With my old radeon 9600/9700 mobility chip,
GE has ALWAYS locked up my PC with EVERY OS release!
So, I uninstalled it.

Old 06-11-2011, 05:19 AM
H Xu

On 06/11/2011 10:15 AM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 06/11/2011 10:08 AM, H Xu wrote:
>> I'm using nouveau on Fedora 15 and google earth displays Chinese
>> characters quite well.
>
> What is your
>
> A. Video Card
> B. LANG environment variable
>
> Thanks,
> Ed

Video card is Nvidia
LANG is "en_US.utf8"

Please CC to users@lists.fedoraproject.org when replying.

Old 06-11-2011, 05:34 AM
Ed Greshko

On 06/11/2011 01:19 PM, H Xu wrote:
> On 06/11/2011 10:15 AM, Ed Greshko wrote:
>> On 06/11/2011 10:08 AM, H Xu wrote:
>>> I'm using nouveau on Fedora 15 and google earth displays Chinese
>>> characters quite well.
>>
>> What is your
>>
>> A. Video Card
>> B. LANG environment variable
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Ed
>>

> Video card is Nvidia
> LANG is "en_US.utf8"

Your email is the only one I've ever seen on this list where a "reply"
doesn't go to the list.... So, I didn't even look....

Anyway.... Even an F15 system on a VM doesn't display... But a Ubuntu
system is OK....

Must be a missing font?

Could you list your fonts?

Old 06-11-2011, 05:39 AM
Ed Greshko

On 06/11/2011 01:19 PM, H Xu wrote:
> Please CC to users@lists.fedoraproject.org when replying.

FWIW, I looked at the headers from your original reply.... It seems
that some of the headers are getting stripped out....or something...

Your email is missing the following...

Sender: users-bounces@lists.fedoraproject.org

Which all the other emails from members has....

Wonder why this is happening. Makes it hard to just do "normal" things....

Ed