Old 06-10-2011, 03:58 PM
Bill

Default Fedora 15 Network Printer Problems

Greetings. I've recently switched from Ubuntu to Fedora. So far I'm
pleased, though I'm having real difficulty detecting my network printer
(which worked "automagically" under Linux Mint 10). I've searched
Google, the Fedora documentation, the Fedora Forums - everything I can
think of to no avail.

I'm running Fedora 15 on a Dell XPS m1530 laptop (192.168.2.2), which is
connected via modem/router to a network which includes my Dell Inspiron
530 desktop (192.168.2.3), which is currently running Linux Mint 11. My
HP Officejet 5610 all-in-one is connected to the desktop via usb cable.

I've used the Fedora 15 system-config-printer and cups browser interface
to attempt to get it working. Firewall has been adjusted to allow
connection. I installed hplip and have tried every driver available
(including generic). I've tried every available ip address (http, https,
ipp, socket and lpd) with various ports... no matter what I do the
laptop will not detect the printer. (I even installed samba and tried
connecting using a windows share.)

I can ping the desktop successfully, ssh, sshfs... but I can not find
the printer.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Bill

Old 06-10-2011, 04:03 PM
Javier Perez

Is cups running?*service cups status*

[...]

------------------------------
*/\_/**
*|O O|* pepebuho@gmail.com
*~~~~ * * Javier Perez
*~~~~* * * * * While the night runs

*~~~~* * * * * toward the day...
* m m** * * Pepebuho watches
* * * * * ** ** from his high perch.

Old 06-10-2011, 04:13 PM
Bill

On 06/10/2011 12:03 PM, Javier Perez wrote:
> Is cups running?
> service cups status

service cups status
cups.service - LSB: The CUPS scheduler
Loaded: loaded (/etc/rc.d/init.d/cups)
Active: active (running) since Fri, 10 Jun 2011 10:40:55 -0400; 1h
30min ago
Process: 22233 ExecStop=/etc/rc.d/init.d/cups stop (code=exited,
status=0/SUCCESS)
Process: 22241 ExecStart=/etc/rc.d/init.d/cups start (code=exited,
status=0/SUCCESS)
Main PID: 22248 (cupsd)
CGroup: name=systemd:/system/cups.service
└ 22248 cupsd -C /etc/cups/cupsd.conf

Yes, cups is running.

Bill

Old 06-10-2011, 06:24 PM
Greg Woods

On Fri, 2011-06-10 at 11:58 -0400, Bill wrote:

> I'm running Fedora 15 on a Dell XPS m1530 laptop (192.168.2.2), which is
> connected via modem/router to a network which includes my Dell Inspiron
> 530 desktop (192.168.2.3), which is currently running Linux Mint 11. My
> HP Officejet 5610 all-in-one is connected to the desktop via usb cable.
>
> I've used the Fedora 15 system-config-printer and cups browser interface
> to attempt to get it working.

Make sure you have the "hplip" package installed, then try using
"hp-setup <IP of printer>". This solution only works for HP printers and
I confess that I have not tried it on F15, but it has worked for me in
the past.

--Greg

Old 06-10-2011, 06:48 PM
Dale Dellutri

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 10:58 AM, Bill <hb.cog.jil@gmail.com> wrote:
> Greetings. I've recently switched from Ubuntu to Fedora. So far I'm
> pleased, though I'm having real difficulty detecting my network printer
> (which worked "automagically" under Linux Mint 10). I've searched
> Google, the Fedora documentation, the Fedora Forums - everything I can
> think of to no avail.
>
> I'm running Fedora 15 on a Dell XPS m1530 laptop (192.168.2.2), which is
> connected via modem/router to a network which includes my Dell Inspiron
> 530 desktop (192.168.2.3), which is currently running Linux Mint 11. My
> HP Officejet 5610 all-in-one is connected to the desktop via usb cable.

Since the printer is connected via usb cable to the desktop, then the desktop
has to have cups running, and allowing the printer to be shared on the
network. Then the laptop should be able to see the desktop cups server.
In a browser on the desktop, got to
http://localhost:631
which should bring up the cups web interface. Click on printers, then on
printer itself, and it should say something like Idle, Accepting Jobs, Shared.
That "Shared" is the important one.

> I've used the Fedora 15 system-config-printer and cups browser interface
> to attempt to get it working. Firewall has been adjusted to allow
> connection.

Do you mean the firewall on the desktop or the laptop. Both need to allow
the cups on the client (laptop) to talk to the cups on the server (desktop).

> I installed hplip and have tried every driver available
> (including generic). I've tried every available ip address (http, https,
> ipp, socket and lpd) with various ports... no matter what I do the
> laptop will not detect the printer. (I even installed samba and tried
> connecting using a windows share.)

Perhaps you could try opening a browser window on the laptop and
going to:
http://192.168.2.3:631
and the desktop cups server should answer, I think.

> I can ping the desktop successfully, ssh, sshfs... but I can not find
> the printer.
>
> Any suggestions will be appreciated.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bill

Dale Dellutri

Old 06-10-2011, 06:56 PM
Bill

On 06/10/2011 02:24 PM, Greg Woods wrote:
> Make sure you have the "hplip" package installed, then try using
> "hp-setup<IP of printer>". This solution only works for HP printers and
> I confess that I have not tried it on F15, but it has worked for me in
> the past.

Greg, I had hplip installed, and when I tried the setup command the
system replied that I needed to install hplip-gui. So I did that, and it
puts me through the same process as the system-config-printer and cups
localhost:631 interface. It's just not seeing the printer on the remote
machine.

I've also checked the remote machine and router firewalls to be sure
that they allow connection. I'm just lost on this one.

Thanks for your suggestion.

--
Regards, Bill

Old 06-10-2011, 07:03 PM
Bill

On 06/10/2011 02:48 PM, Dale Dellutri wrote:
> Do you mean the firewall on the desktop or the laptop. Both need to allow
> the cups on the client (laptop) to talk to the cups on the server (desktop).

Both.

> Perhaps you could try opening a browser window on the laptop and
> going to:
> http://192.168.2.3:631
> and the desktop cups server should answer, I think.

I thought the same thing and tried, but the web page is not available.
Could that indicate a misconfigured firewall somewhere? (I'm really
getting out of my league when it comes to firewalls and networking. I
have succeeded in setting the network up, and have even done some
port-forwarding and tunneling, but do not understand what I have done! I
just research and follow instructions and try until it works. I'm
remedial when it comes to this stuff.)

--
Regards, Bill

Old 06-10-2011, 07:09 PM
"Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak"

On 06/10/2011 03:03 PM, Bill wrote:

>> Perhaps you could try opening a browser window on the laptop and
>> going to:
>> http://192.168.2.3:631
>> and the desktop cups server should answer, I think.
>
> I thought the same thing and tried, but the web page is not available.

cups is normally configured to listen just on localhost (that is, NOT
through network connections). From /etc/cups/cupsd.conf, you need to
change this line:

Listen localhost:631

to:

Listen localhost:631
Listen 192.168.2.3:631

- Mike

Old 06-10-2011, 07:11 PM
"Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak"

On 06/10/2011 03:09 PM, Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak wrote:
> On 06/10/2011 03:03 PM, Bill wrote:
>
>>> Perhaps you could try opening a browser window on the laptop and
>>> going to:
>>> http://192.168.2.3:631
>>> and the desktop cups server should answer, I think.
>>
>> I thought the same thing and tried, but the web page is not available.
>
> cups is normally configured to listen just on localhost (that is, NOT
> through network connections). From /etc/cups/cupsd.conf, you need to
> change this line:
>
> Listen localhost:631
>
> to:
>
> Listen localhost:631
> Listen 192.168.2.3:631

You probably need to mess with this too, in the same file:

# Restrict access to the server...
<Location />
Order allow,deny
Allow localhost
</Location>

- Mike

Old 06-10-2011, 07:55 PM
Bill

On 06/10/2011 03:11 PM, Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak wrote:
>> cups is normally configured to listen just on localhost (that is, NOT
>> through network connections). From /etc/cups/cupsd.conf, you need to
>> change this line:
>>
>> Listen localhost:631
>>
>> to:
>>
>> Listen localhost:631
>> Listen 192.168.2.3:631
>
> You probably need to mess with this too, in the same file:
>
> # Restrict access to the server...
> <Location />
> Order allow,deny
> Allow localhost
> </Location>
>
> - Mike

Dr., there was a third line in cupsd.conf: "Listen
/var/run/cups/cups.sock"; so I put "Listen 192.168.2.3:631" between the
two lines already present. Also added "Allow localhost" as recommended.

Having done that, three things have changed: (1) I now get a 403
Forbidden page when attempting to access the desktop from the laptop via
the browser, and 2) I noticed that from the cups interface on the
desktop (the remote machine to which the printer is connected) that
though the printer was meant to be shared, it isn't. So I modified the
printer from the administration page (still on the remote machine to
which the printer is connected) and checked the box to share it, and it
will not share it. Furthermore, 3) the laptop now detects the printer,
but when I attempt to print a test page, the job is held with the
comment that "/usr/lib/cups/backend/ipp failed".

Progress (and thank you very much), but what does the failure message mean?

Bill