Old 06-11-2011, 01:37 PM
Aaron Konstam

Default Fedora 15 Network Printer Problems

On Fri, 2011-06-10 at 16:47 -0400, Bill wrote:
> On 06/10/2011 04:28 PM, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > I assume that 192.168.2.3 is the localhost. Yes? It is safer to be sure
> > and open: http://localhost:631. A web page should open if cups is
> > running.
>
> 192.168.2.3 is the reserved ip of the machine connected to the
> modem/router via ethernet cable, and the machine connected to the
> printer. 192.168.2.2 is the reserved ip of the laptop connected to the
> network via wireless service. Both computers have cups installed, and
> both connect to http://localhost:631. However, I can not connect to
> http://192.168.2.3:631 from 192.168.2.2.

Connection to the localhost is the only thing that will work. You do not
configure printers on the client machine but on the server machine with
cups.

Old 06-11-2011, 01:40 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Fri, 2011-06-10 at 14:39 -0700, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 06/10/2011 12:03 PM, Bill wrote:
> > On 06/10/2011 02:48 PM, Dale Dellutri wrote:
> >> Do you mean the firewall on the desktop or the laptop. Both need to allow
> >> the cups on the client (laptop) to talk to the cups on the server (desktop).
> >
> > Both.
> >
> >> Perhaps you could try opening a browser window on the laptop and
> >> going to:
> >> http://192.168.2.3:631
> >> and the desktop cups server should answer, I think.
> >
> > I thought the same thing and tried, but the web page is not available.
> > Could that indicate a misconfigured firewall somewhere? (I'm really
> > getting out of my league when it comes to firewalls and networking. I
> > have succeeded in setting the network up, and have even done some
> > port-forwarding and tunneling, but do not understand what I have done! I
> > just research and follow instructions and try until it works. I'm
> > remedial when it comes to this stuff.)
> >

> Oh, of course; it's set for the IP of my computer on my LAN. Change the
> IP to 207.0.0.1 (Localhost) and it should work. Not sure why that
> happened, but, in my defence, it works for me so I never noticed.
On what machine is 207,,0.0.1 is localhost rather than 127.0.0.1.

Old 06-11-2011, 05:48 PM
Joe Zeff

On 06/11/2011 06:40 AM, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On what machine is 207,,0.0.1 is localhost rather than 127.0.0.1

Some days I can manage to type things correctly. Yesterday wasn't one
of them.