Old 06-10-2011, 08:13 PM
Greg Woods

Default Fedora 15 Network Printer Problems

On Fri, 2011-06-10 at 14:56 -0400, Bill wrote:

> Greg, I had hplip installed, and when I tried the setup command the
> system replied that I needed to install hplip-gui.

That is definitely not what happened when I did it. Try logging in to a
text console where there is no display, and see if hp-setup will work in
command-line mode. Even if it fails, you might get a more useful error
message this way.

Be sure to run it on the host that has the printer connected to it. Then
you may also need to add the printer on the print client host.

--Greg

Old 06-10-2011, 08:19 PM
Bill

On 06/10/2011 04:13 PM, Greg Woods wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-06-10 at 14:56 -0400, Bill wrote:
>
>> Greg, I had hplip installed, and when I tried the setup command the
>> system replied that I needed to install hplip-gui.
>
> That is definitely not what happened when I did it. Try logging in to a
> text console where there is no display, and see if hp-setup will work in
> command-line mode. Even if it fails, you might get a more useful error
> message this way.
>
> Be sure to run it on the host that has the printer connected to it. Then
> you may also need to add the printer on the print client host.
>
> --Greg

Oh man! I was doing the hplip stuff on the laptop (guest), not the
desktop. Should have known that. I'll try again. Thanks. (..."the print
client host"; is that the laptop - the computer without the printer
connected?)

Bill

Old 06-10-2011, 08:28 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Fri, 2011-06-10 at 15:03 -0400, Bill wrote:
> On 06/10/2011 02:48 PM, Dale Dellutri wrote:
> > Do you mean the firewall on the desktop or the laptop. Both need to allow
> > the cups on the client (laptop) to talk to the cups on the server (desktop).
>
> Both.
>
> > Perhaps you could try opening a browser window on the laptop and
> > going to:
> > http://192.168.2.3:631
> > and the desktop cups server should answer, I think.
>
> I thought the same thing and tried, but the web page is not available.
> Could that indicate a misconfigured firewall somewhere? (I'm really
> getting out of my league when it comes to firewalls and networking. I
> have succeeded in setting the network up, and have even done some
> port-forwarding and tunneling, but do not understand what I have done! I
> just research and follow instructions and try until it works. I'm
> remedial when it comes to this stuff.)
>
> --
> Regards, Bill

I assume that 192.168.2.3 is the localhost. Yes? It is safer to be sure
and open: http://localhost:631. A web page should open if cups is
running.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:32 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Fri, 2011-06-10 at 15:55 -0400, Bill wrote:
> On 06/10/2011 03:11 PM, Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak wrote:
> >> cups is normally configured to listen just on localhost (that is, NOT
> >> through network connections). From /etc/cups/cupsd.conf, you need to
> >> change this line:
> >>
> >> Listen localhost:631
> >>
> >> to:
> >>
> >> Listen localhost:631
> >> Listen 192.168.2.3:631
> >
> > You probably need to mess with this too, in the same file:
> >
> > # Restrict access to the server...
> > <Location />
> > Order allow,deny
> > Allow localhost
> > </Location>
> >
> > - Mike
>
> Dr., there was a third line in cupsd.conf: "Listen
> /var/run/cups/cups.sock"; so I put "Listen 192.168.2.3:631" between the
> two lines already present. Also added "Allow localhost" as recommended.
>
> Having done that, three things have changed: (1) I now get a 403
> Forbidden page when attempting to access the desktop from the laptop via
> the browser, and 2) I noticed that from the cups interface on the
> desktop (the remote machine to which the printer is connected) that
> though the printer was meant to be shared, it isn't. So I modified the
> printer from the administration page (still on the remote machine to
> which the printer is connected) and checked the box to share it, and it
> will not share it. Furthermore, 3) the laptop now detects the printer,
> but when I attempt to print a test page, the job is held with the
> comment that "/usr/lib/cups/backend/ipp failed".
>
> Progress (and thank you very much), but what does the failure message mean?
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bill

Thse lines should be in the file: