Old 06-10-2011, 01:08 AM
Christian Kreibich

Default Flash plugin stalls Firefox in Fedora 15

I've upgraded a 64-bit test box from F14 to F15, and am not impressed.
For starters, the 32-bit Flash plugin no longer works in Firefox. Most
pages using it stall the browser for 10-15 seconds, then I get a
black/grey rectangle. I've followed the instructions
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Flash to no avail, and I see no mentioning
of this problem on the page. Others? Pointers?

-C.

Old 06-10-2011, 02:09 AM
Sam Varshavchik

Christian Kreibich writes:

I've upgraded a 64-bit test box from F14 to F15, and am not impressed.
For starters, the 32-bit Flash plugin no longer works in Firefox. Most
pages using it stall the browser for 10-15 seconds, then I get a
black/grey rectangle. I've followed the instructions
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Flash to no avail, and I see no mentioning
of this problem on the page. Others? Pointers?

The 64 bit beta plugin works fine:

http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10_square.html

You'll need Linus's patch to workaround the memcpy bug in the plugin. Search
the list archives/bugzilla.

The beta plugin most likely has unpatched holes, so it's a bit risky, but as
long as all you need Flash for is youboob, and other major sites, it should
be fine.

Old 06-10-2011, 02:26 AM
Christian Kreibich

On 06/09/2011 07:09 PM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> You'll need Linus's patch to workaround the memcpy bug in the plugin. Search
> the list archives/bugzilla.

Yeah, I used to follow that thread last year, when it was still fun to
watch all the finger-pointing.

> The beta plugin most likely has unpatched holes, so it's a bit risky, but as
> long as all you need Flash for is youboob, and other major sites, it should
> be fine.

Thanks Sam for the pointer and quick response. I can't use something
known to have security holes and that I need to patch to be able to
listen to stuff. Is the 32-bit wrapped plugin known to be broken on F15
then? What's the difference to F14, where it worked on the same machine?
Would be great if somebody updated that wiki page, to save others
frustration.

-C.

Old 06-10-2011, 05:00 AM
Andre Robatino

Christian Kreibich <christian <at> whoop.org> writes:

> Thanks Sam for the pointer and quick response. I can't use something
> known to have security holes and that I need to patch to be able to
> listen to stuff. Is the 32-bit wrapped plugin known to be broken on F15
> then? What's the difference to F14, where it worked on the same machine?
> Would be great if somebody updated that wiki page, to save others
> frustration.

The 32-bit wrapped plugin works fine for me (both F14 and F15 x86_64) following
the instructions at

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Flash#32_bit_wrapped_version

Assuming all instructions are followed, the only other trouble I've ever had is
the occasional need to delete ~/.mozilla/firefox/*/pluginreg.dat and let the
browser recreate it if it doesn't list the correct version of the Flash plugin.

Old 06-10-2011, 07:04 AM
Petrus de Calguarium

Christian Kreibich wrote:

> I've upgraded a 64-bit test box from F14 to F15, and am not impressed.
> For starters, the 32-bit Flash plugin no longer works in Firefox. Most
> pages using it stall the browser for 10-15 seconds, then I get a
> black/grey rectangle. I've followed the instructions
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Flash to no avail, and I see no mentioning
> of this problem on the page. Others? Pointers?

I looked at that tutorial and it makes mention of nspluginwrapper, but never
tells you how to use it. I am not sure if this is the problem, but what I do
is install the flash plugin to the normal directory,
/usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins (note that I am using the experimental 64-bit
plugin, while you would install to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins).

Then, I run, as root (not sure if you need to cd /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins,
but it can't hurt, just in case):

mozilla-plugin-config -i

I am guessing that selinux blocks the flash content (selinux is always the
scapegoat, even if it is not at fault), because it is not wrapped, hence you
get the blank box. This should cure it. At least, it all works fine here :-)

Open aboutlugins and you should see the flash plugin enabled. Alternately,
on the menu bar, click tools/addons/plugins.

You can edit /etc/sysconfig/nspluginwrapper to adjust to your needs, but I
have not bothered making changes here.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-10-2011, 07:09 AM
Petrus de Calguarium

Petrus de Calguarium wrote:

> Then, I run, as root (not sure if you need to cd
> /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins, but it can't hurt, just in case):
>
> mozilla-plugin-config -i

I forgot to mention, in case you are copying the tarball by hand into the
plugin directory... Make sure that ownership is root:root, otherwise the
command will not work.

After running the command, verify by going to the directory
/usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins-wrapped and you will see a new entry

nswrapper_64_64.libflashplayer.so

Old 06-10-2011, 07:32 AM
Rahul Sundaram

On 06/10/2011 12:34 PM, Petrus de Calguarium wrote:
> I looked at that tutorial and it makes mention of nspluginwrapper, but never
> tells you how to use it.

Wiki can be edited by anyone with a Fedora account. If you don't have
one, you can get it within minutes

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/accounts

Feel free to pitch in and add more details.

Rahul

Old 06-10-2011, 07:36 AM
Andre Robatino

Andre Robatino <robatino <at> fedoraproject.org> writes:

> The 32-bit wrapped plugin works fine for me (both F14 and F15 x86_64) following
> the instructions at
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Flash#32_bit_wrapped_version
>
> Assuming all instructions are followed, the only other trouble I've ever had is
> the occasional need to delete ~/.mozilla/firefox/*/pluginreg.dat and let the
> browser recreate it if it doesn't list the correct version of the Flash plugin.

Should also add that I've always had SELinux set to enforcing, and have never
had to run any nspluginwrapper-associated commands, just install the indicated
package(s).

Old 06-10-2011, 03:53 PM
Petrus de Calguarium

Rahul Sundaram wrote:

> Wiki can be edited by anyone with a Fedora account. If you don't have
> one, you can get it within minutes
>
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/accounts
>
> Feel free to pitch in and add more details.

Sure, I can get one. But I should also add that I am not an expert and have
gleaned what I know by poring over the fedora mailing lists over the course of
years and keeping track and I have no way of knowing whether what I think I
know is actually correct.

However, if you think that what I had written is correct, then I will get an
account and add the information.

Old 06-10-2011, 04:15 PM
Petrus de Calguarium

Rahul Sundaram wrote:

> Feel free to pitch in and add more details.

I now have an account, but I am unable to complete the contributor agreement,
because the program refuses to accept my agreement without a telephone number.
Should I just put in a fake number to see if it will work?