Old 06-09-2011, 08:41 PM
Sam Varshavchik

Default Network upgrade?

Christopher Svanefalk writes:

Hey guys,

is it just me missing it, or have network install disks been scrapped
for the last few Fedora releases? I remember installing Fedora 10 from a
network boot CD back in the day, and to date I think it is the best
solution I ever used. However, recently I have not seen them anywhere
for the recent releases.

While on this topic, is there any way to upgrade from one Fedora version
to another purely using a network connection? That is, without
dowloading the entire DVD ISO?

Did that myself. The installation guide provides step by step instructions
for doing a pure network install. It tells you how to use some all-
encompassing, swiss-army-knife net install tool. I just found it much easier
to set up a tftp server, twiddle some dhcp settings, and tell the server to
boot off the network.

I pointed anaconda to a DVD ISO image on my LAN, as the installation repo,
but there's no reason you can't point it to someone else's image, as long as
you'll have Internet connectivity at install time; however I'm not sure
whether anaconda verifies gpg signatures when doing a network install, so
you have some security implications there.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:55 PM
Christopher Svanefalk

On 06/09/2011 10:41 PM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Christopher Svanefalk writes:
>
>> Hey guys,
>>
>> is it just me missing it, or have network install disks been scrapped
>> for the last few Fedora releases? I remember installing Fedora 10 from a
>> network boot CD back in the day, and to date I think it is the best
>> solution I ever used. However, recently I have not seen them anywhere
>> for the recent releases.
>>
>> While on this topic, is there any way to upgrade from one Fedora version
>> to another purely using a network connection? That is, without
>> dowloading the entire DVD ISO?
>
> Did that myself. The installation guide provides step by step
> instructions for doing a pure network install. It tells you how to use
> some all-encompassing, swiss-army-knife net install tool. I just found
> it much easier to set up a tftp server, twiddle some dhcp settings,
> and tell the server to boot off the network.
>
> I pointed anaconda to a DVD ISO image on my LAN, as the installation
> repo, but there's no reason you can't point it to someone else's
> image, as long as you'll have Internet connectivity at install time;
> however I'm not sure whether anaconda verifies gpg signatures when
> doing a network install, so you have some security implications there.

Alright, thanks

Old 06-10-2011, 01:24 PM
Chris Rouch

On 9 June 2011 22:26, Christopher Svanefalk
<christopher.svanefalk@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> is it just me missing it, or have network install disks been scrapped
> for the last few Fedora releases? I remember installing Fedora 10 from a
> network boot CD back in the day, and to date I think it is the best
> solution I ever used. However, recently I have not seen them anywhere
> for the recent releases.
>
> While on this topic, is there any way to upgrade from one Fedora version
> to another purely using a network connection? That is, without
> dowloading the entire DVD ISO?

They're still available. I think for F15 it was hard to find, but this
link works:

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/releases/15/Fedora/x86_64/iso/Fedora-15-x86_64-netinst.iso

Chris

Old 06-11-2011, 11:37 AM
Timothy Murphy

Sam Varshavchik wrote:

> I pointed anaconda to a DVD ISO image on my LAN, as the installation repo,

What exactly does "pointed anaconda ..." mean, please.
What precise command(s) did you give?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net