Old 06-09-2011, 10:45 AM
Javier Perez

Default How to make yum history show more than the last 20 transactions?

If I do yum history list $id I can list each transaction in yum,
if I do yum history I get the last 20

How do I list an aleatory number, let say if I have 100 transactions I want to see between id 50 and id 60

It doesn't look like it is in the commands....

from man yum:
history [info|list|packages-list|summary|redo|undo|new|addon-info]
--
------------------------------
*/\_/**

*~~~~ * * Javier Perez
*~~~~* * * * * While the night runs
*~~~~* * * * * toward the day...
* m m** * * Pepebuho watches
* * * * * ** ** from his high perch.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:32 AM
Michael Schwendt

On Thu, 9 Jun 2011 05:45:04 -0500, JP wrote:

> If I do yum history list $id I can list each transaction in yum,
> if I do yum history I get the last 20
>
> How do I list an aleatory number, let say if I have 100 transactions I want
> to see between id 50 and id 60
>
> It doesn't look like it is in the commands....
>
> from man yum:
> history [info|list|packages-list|summary|redo|undo|new|addon-info]

Stomach says such a config option isn't implemented because a use-case is
missing. Recording the last _few_ transactions makes sense, as it can be
helpful when chasing down some problem related to package installs. And 20
looks like a sane default. Recording the last 100 transactions (or more)
sounds questionable. IMO, at least.

Perhaps you can expand on your scenario a bit?

Old 06-09-2011, 11:56 AM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Thu, 2011-06-09 at 05:45 -0500, Javier Perez wrote:
> If I do yum history list $id I can list each transaction in yum,
> if I do yum history I get the last 20
>
> How do I list an aleatory number, let say if I have 100 transactions I want
> to see between id 50 and id 60
>
> It doesn't look like it is in the commands....
>
> from man yum:
> history [info|list|packages-list|summary|redo|undo|new|addon-info]

Note that /var/log/yum.log contains a record of all package
installations, deletions and updates, which might be enough for what you
want (you don't say what you're looking for).

poc

Old 06-09-2011, 12:04 PM
Javier Perez

Take my example. I have 137 yum history transactions on this server, the first one from march 2010

Now that I have upgraded to FC15 I have made several updates, additions and removals. (more than 20)

I wanted to look up the yum transaction where I did the system upgrade (transaction 116) while tracking some bugs in my system, but the only way I could do it was by

>yum history list 116

I found out it was that transaction number by going all the way from 100 forward, listing one by one until I found it out. instead of issuing 16 yum history commands.

If I had a list 100-118 or something similar I could have found out the transaction number in just one command.

Javier

Old 06-09-2011, 12:08 PM
Javier Perez

You are right, and it would be useful if you only need info about when a given package changed. But Yum history gives you more info than that, for example if a script failed, what kind of command did you issue to perform the change, what plugins (presto, fastestmirror,etc.) where present during the upgrade, etc.

JP

Old 06-10-2011, 05:34 AM
suvayu ali

On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 5:04 AM, Javier Perez <pepebuho@gmail.com> wrote:
> If I had a list 100-118 or something similar I could have found out the
> transaction number in just one command.

What about "yum history list all" then grep for the date range?

--
Suvayu