Old 06-09-2011, 02:06 AM
Genes MailLists

Default formatting SSD drives

I'd appreciate any guidance on how I should partition a new intel 310
soda creek SSD drive ... I've googles a bit there are suggestions about
paritioning and using ext4 ..

Appreciate any wisdom the community can offer !

Thanks!

gene

Old 06-09-2011, 02:14 AM
Aradenatorix Veckhom Vacelaevus

Hi:
I'm not sure how to create the partitions on your SSD drive, but I know that you should not install partitions as /var where the writing/reading task is high because it reduces the lifetime of your SSD device.

Good luck:Aradnix

Old 06-09-2011, 04:37 AM
Michael Cronenworth

On 06/08/2011 09:06 PM, Genes MailLists wrote:
> I'd appreciate any guidance on how I should partition a new intel 310
> soda creek SSD drive ... I've googles a bit there are suggestions about
> paritioning and using ext4 ..

You may use ext4 or btrfs as they both support TRIM. Be sure to add the
"discard" mount option to your /etc/fstab as it will not be automatic
because there is fear by some kernel developers that some drives have
bad TRIM performance. I have not seen this on consumer drives though and
you will not have a problem with your brand new SSD.

There is one catch. LUKS encrypted partitions do not support TRIM; even
if they are ext4 or btrfs underneath. I would also say LVM and RAID do
not support TRIM either, but as of 2.6.37, they both do.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:32 AM
Misha Shnurapet

09.06.2011, 11:06, "Genes MailLists" <lists@sapience.com>:
> *I'd appreciate any guidance on how I should partition a new intel 310
> soda creek SSD drive ... I've googles a bit there are suggestions about
> paritioning and using ext4 ..
>
> *Appreciate any wisdom the community can offer !
>
> *Thanks!
>
> gene

I would do it like this:

[_____15 GB ext4 for /_____] [_______________the rest of space, ext4 for /home_______________]

Then, after the installation, I'd add "discard", "noatime" and "nodiratime" options for / and /home:

UUID=[some-long-number] / ext4 defaults,noatime,nodiratime 1 2
UUID=[some-long-number] /home ext4 defaults,noatime,nodiratime 1 1

Noatime and nodiratime tell the system not to update last access time for files and folders correspondingly.

--
Best regards,
Email: shnurapet AT fedoraproject.org, IRC: misha on freenode

Old 06-09-2011, 11:48 AM
Genes MailLists

On 06/09/2011 12:37 AM, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
> On 06/08/2011 09:06 PM, Genes MailLists wrote:
>> I'd appreciate any guidance on how I should partition a new intel 310
>> soda creek SSD drive ... I've googles a bit there are suggestions about
>> paritioning and using ext4 ..
>
> You may use ext4 or btrfs as they both support TRIM. Be sure to add the
> "discard" mount option to your /etc/fstab as it will not be automatic
> because there is fear by some kernel developers that some drives have
> bad TRIM performance. I have not seen this on consumer drives though and
> you will not have a problem with your brand new SSD.
>
> There is one catch. LUKS encrypted partitions do not support TRIM; even
> if they are ext4 or btrfs underneath. I would also say LVM and RAID do
> not support TRIM either, but as of 2.6.37, they both do.

Thats very helpful thanks so much

.. while I'll be putting F14 on this - I'll be using newer kernels -
2.6.39 and 3.0 once the dust settles a bit more.

I used gparted to partition it - and set alignment to cylinder tho I
wasn't sure if that was preferable to MiB alignment - any thoughts on
alignment ?

Old 06-09-2011, 11:59 AM
Genes MailLists

On 06/09/2011 04:32 AM, Misha Shnurapet wrote:
> I would do it like this:
>
> [_____15 GB ext4 for /_____] [_______________the rest of space, ext4 for /home_______________]
>
> Then, after the installation, I'd add "discard", "noatime" and "nodiratime" options for / and /home:
>
> UUID=[some-long-number] / ext4 defaults,noatime,nodiratime 1 2
> UUID=[some-long-number] /home ext4 defaults,noatime,nodiratime 1 1
>
> Noatime and nodiratime tell the system not to update last access time for files and folders correspondingly.

This drive is actually mSata - which is to say it has a mini-pci
format and is used in addition to the normal hard drive - being small it
is much cheaper than replacing the entire hard drive - but its big
enough for root and opt and some /home for sure but not all.

However, since I alsways enccyrpt /home and Michael pointed out that
TRIM wont work for LUKS maybe its best I dont use it for /home.

My normal set up is encypted /home, /opt and swap.

Then I bind mount /tmp and /var/tmp over /opt/tmp /opt/var/tmp so that
they are both encrypted too - I find it convenient not to encrypt root
for when things go bad and recovering can be simplified.

Thanks for your suggestions .. I'll def set the atime flags.

gene

Old 06-09-2011, 01:22 PM
Neal Becker

Genes MailLists wrote:

> On 06/09/2011 12:37 AM, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
>> On 06/08/2011 09:06 PM, Genes MailLists wrote:
>>> I'd appreciate any guidance on how I should partition a new intel 310
>>> soda creek SSD drive ... I've googles a bit there are suggestions about
>>> paritioning and using ext4 ..
>>
>> You may use ext4 or btrfs as they both support TRIM. Be sure to add the
>> "discard" mount option to your /etc/fstab as it will not be automatic
>> because there is fear by some kernel developers that some drives have
>> bad TRIM performance. I have not seen this on consumer drives though and
>> you will not have a problem with your brand new SSD.
>>
>> There is one catch. LUKS encrypted partitions do not support TRIM; even
>> if they are ext4 or btrfs underneath. I would also say LVM and RAID do
>> not support TRIM either, but as of 2.6.37, they both do.
>
> Thats very helpful thanks so much
>
> .. while I'll be putting F14 on this - I'll be using newer kernels -
> 2.6.39 and 3.0 once the dust settles a bit more.
>
> I used gparted to partition it - and set alignment to cylinder tho I
> wasn't sure if that was preferable to MiB alignment - any thoughts on
> alignment ?

Maybe add barrier=0 if this is a laptop

Old 06-09-2011, 01:49 PM
Genes MailLists

On 06/09/2011 09:22 AM, Neal Becker wrote:

> Maybe add barrier=0 if this is a laptop

Excellent - thank you ... and yes its a laptop - it fits in the same
slot as a broadband card.

thank you.