Old 06-08-2011, 06:35 PM
Beartooth

Default Netbook gotchas?

I've been running Omega Linux 14 (respin of F 14) on an EeePC
701, with an 8GB camera card in the slot. I'm very pleased with the OS
(Rahul, I owe you big time!); but the hardware just doesn't fit my extra
large trifocal fingers and arthritic eyeballs. (I've replaced it with a
Starling 10" from System76, running plain F14.)

My wife, who has small hands and better eyesight, naturally gets
first refusal of the EeePC; I think she'll like it even more than I, and
keep it for years. (At our age, we spend a lot of time in medical waiting
rooms, which are starting to have wifi, but still have dismal
magazines.The EeePC is little more trouble than a book.)

If she keeps it, I'll leave my own userid on it, to make
troubleshooting more convenient; but my files are taking up most of the
space available, and need to be devastated, wholesale.

I'll start with text files and folders full of pix to use as
desktop backgrounds; no sweat there. But what else?

Any thoughts on what's safe to remove -- such as *all* tarballs
and rpm's downloaded by me (rather than by yum or PackageKit)?

And most of all, are there any gotchas to be leery of? (I do know
better than to delete my .addressbook or my .pinerc.)

Old 06-08-2011, 07:33 PM
"Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak"

On 06/08/2011 02:35 PM, Beartooth wrote:

> I've been running Omega Linux 14 (respin of F 14) on an EeePC
> 701, with an 8GB camera card in the slot. I'm very pleased with the OS
> (Rahul, I owe you big time!); but the hardware just doesn't fit my extra
> large trifocal fingers and arthritic eyeballs. (I've replaced it with a
> Starling 10" from System76, running plain F14.)
>
> My wife, who has small hands and better eyesight, naturally gets
> first refusal of the EeePC; I think she'll like it even more than I, and
> keep it for years. (At our age, we spend a lot of time in medical waiting
> rooms, which are starting to have wifi, but still have dismal
> magazines.The EeePC is little more trouble than a book.)
>
> If she keeps it, I'll leave my own userid on it, to make
> troubleshooting more convenient; but my files are taking up most of the
> space available, and need to be devastated, wholesale.
>
> I'll start with text files and folders full of pix to use as
> desktop backgrounds; no sweat there. But what else?
>
> Any thoughts on what's safe to remove -- such as *all* tarballs
> and rpm's downloaded by me (rather than by yum or PackageKit)?

Well, try things like:

package-cleanup --leaves

and if it looks OK:

package-cleanup -q --leaves | xargs yum -y remove

and repeat the 2 commands, since each purging of unused libraries may
create further unused libraries.

You can try the same with "--orphans" instead of "--leaves".

Also, I upgraded my EEE 901 with a (bigger) third-party solid-state
drive. It runs much faster now, as a bonus.

- Mike

Old 06-08-2011, 09:00 PM
Patrick Bartek

--- On Wed, 6/8/11, Beartooth <beartooth@comcast.net> wrote:

> *** I've been running Omega Linux 14 (respin
> of F 14) on an EeePC
> 701, with an 8GB camera card in the slot. I'm very pleased
> with the OS
> (Rahul, I owe you big time!); but the hardware just doesn't
> fit my extra
> large trifocal fingers and arthritic eyeballs. (I've
> replaced it with a
> Starling 10" from System76, running plain F14.)
>
> *** My wife, who has small hands and better
> eyesight, naturally gets
> first refusal of the EeePC; I think she'll like it even
> more than I, and
> keep it for years. (At our age, we spend a lot of time in
> medical waiting
> rooms, which are starting to have wifi, but still have
> dismal
> magazines.The EeePC is little more trouble than a book.)
>
> *** If she keeps it, I'll leave my own
> userid on it, to make
> troubleshooting more convenient; but my files are taking up
> most of the
> space available, and need to be devastated, wholesale.
>
> *** I'll start with text files and folders
> full of pix to use as
> desktop backgrounds; no sweat there. But what else?
>
> *** Any thoughts on what's safe to remove --
> such as *all* tarballs
> and rpm's downloaded by me (rather than by yum or
> PackageKit)?
>
> *** And most of all, are there any gotchas
> to be leery of? (I do know
> better than to delete my .addressbook or my .pinerc.)

Here's what I did to reduce a Linux install about 1.5 GB. It was on a EeePC 900 with 4GB and 16GB SSDs. The OS (Eeebuntu 3.0 Standard, GNOME, 1GB RAM) was a stock install on the 4GB drive (/home and swap were on the 16GB one) and took 3.2GB leaving only 700MB. I was able to easily reduce the OS to 2.1GB including what additional apps I installed later by removing the following using Eeebuntu's package manager. So, it should work the same with Fedora. Printer drivers, except ones needed; Locales and language files, fonts, apps, servers (DNS, Apache, etc.), and utilities not needed. Man and Info pages. Other documentation. Backgrounds, themes, etc. not needed. I installed BusyBox and removed the corresponding Linux system commands that weren't needed. Plus, a few other small things for personal reasons. As in I never used this or that. So, why keep it.

That's pretty much it. Just remove one thing or group of things at a time, checking if there will be dependency issues. Of course, back up, Back Up, BACK UP!