Old 06-08-2011, 05:57 PM
Oliver Ruebenacker

Default Upgraded F14 -> F15, now how do I use this?

** * Hello,

On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 12:23 PM, Steven Stern
<subscribed-lists@sterndata.com> wrote:
> Gnome 3 is still a work in progress, so <underline>as Fedora
> users</underline> interested in being on the leading edge, it behooves
> us to try the new stuff and provide <very bold>constructive and useful
> feedback<back to normal> feedback about how it's going for us.

When I saw the new desktop for the first time, I was excited. Then I
grew increasingly frustrated when I could not figure out how to do
anything efficiently. I want some way to see which windows are open,
and a faster way to start new applications than I am currently seeing.

But the more severe problem is that Gnome 3 on my machine is
unacceptably sluggish and unstable. Sometimes takes half a second to
respond to a mouse click, and froze on me already two times during
about two hours of use.

I guess I'll give KDE a try.

Take care
Oliver

--
Oliver Ruebenacker, Computational Cell Biologist
Systems Biology Linker at Virtual Cell (http://vcell.org/sybil)

Old 06-08-2011, 06:38 PM
JB

Oliver Ruebenacker <curoli <at> gmail.com> writes:

>From how you describe your desktop preferences, it seems to me that your DE
switch should go from GNOME 2 to LXDE.

LXDE is very fast (really refreshing !) - its Task Manager shows 110 MB RAM
consumption after DE startup; I could not believe, that's 1/3 of what others
take up front.

It has very lean and quick apps (accessories, graphics, system utilities).
You can customize it as well (Preferences are more than sufficient; sometimes
on a lew level, but e.g. 'man date' allows you to adjust your date/time format
very quickly).
Administration menu is also familiar (and can be extended by installing
whatever you wish from GUI system-* packages).

The only external thing I needed was fonts configuration, which improved many
apps considerably.
Here is what you need (you can improve if you wish on your own).
$ cat .fonts.conf
<?xml version="1.0"?><!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
<fontconfig>
<match target="font" >
<edit mode="assign" name="hinting" >
<bool>true</bool>
</edit>
</match>
<match target="font" >
<edit mode="assign" name="hintstyle" >
<const>hintslight</const>
</edit>
</match>
<match target="font" >
<edit mode="assign" name="antialias" >
<bool>true</bool>
</edit>
</match>
<match target="font" >
<edit mode="assign" name="rgba" >
<const>rgb</const>
</edit>
</match>
</fontconfig>

That's it !
Why bother with weirdos ...
It's like entering a Second Life :-)

JB

Old 06-08-2011, 07:03 PM
Alan Evans

On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 9:23 AM, Steven Stern
<subscribed-lists@sterndata.com> wrote:

> Gnome 3 is still a work in progress, so <underline>as Fedora
> users</underline> interested in being on the leading edge, it behooves
> us to try the new stuff and provide <very bold>constructive and useful
> feedback<back to normal> feedback about how it's going for us.

>From the standpoint of a user, I have no trouble trying new stuff or
providing feedback. However, the trouble is that I can't "try" the new
stuff (GNOME 3) without completely abandoning the old stuff (GNOME 2).

Couldn't the developers have continued packaging GNOME 2 for at least
*one* release cycle so I could seriously try the new stuff but still
fall back to the old stuff when the new was confusing or troublesome?
Then I could get my feet wet with GNOME 3 and provide feedback while
still being able to get some work done.

-Alan

Old 06-08-2011, 07:12 PM
Steve Searle

Around 06:57pm on Wednesday, June 08, 2011 (UK time), Oliver Ruebenacker scrawled:

> ** * Hello,
>
> On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 12:23 PM, Steven Stern
> anything efficiently. I want some way to see which windows are open,

Press the "Windows" key.

> and a faster way to start new applications than I am currently seeing.

Press the "Windows" key and start typing the name of the application you
want to run, press enter as soon as it is the first one you want.

Steve

--

Website: www.stevesearle.com
Twitter: @ReddishShift

20:09:39 up 5 days, 10:36, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

Old 06-08-2011, 07:28 PM
"Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak"

> Couldn't the developers have continued packaging GNOME 2 for at least
> *one* release cycle so I could seriously try the new stuff but still
> fall back to the old stuff when the new was confusing or troublesome?
> Then I could get my feet wet with GNOME 3 and provide feedback while
> still being able to get some work done.

Err... they did. gnome-shell was packaged for, and testable in, F14.

- Mike

Old 06-08-2011, 07:48 PM
Marko Vojinovic

On Wednesday 08 June 2011 20:12:25 Steve Searle wrote:
> Around 06:57pm on Wednesday, June 08, 2011 (UK time), Oliver Ruebenacker
scrawled:
> > On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 12:23 PM, Steven Stern
> > anything efficiently. I want some way to see which windows are open,
>
> Press the "Windows" key.

Just out of curiosity, what if the user doesn't have the "windows" key on
their keyboard? Not all keyboards have it, IIRC. :-)

Just asking, as a happy KDE user... ;-)

Best, :-)
Marko

Old 06-08-2011, 07:52 PM
Genes MailLists

On 06/08/2011 03:48 PM, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> On Wednesday 08 June 2011 20:12:25 Steve Searle wrote:
>> Around 06:57pm on Wednesday, June 08, 2011 (UK time), Oliver Ruebenacker
> scrawled:
>>> On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 12:23 PM, Steven Stern
>>> anything efficiently. I want some way to see which windows are open,
>>
>> Press the "Windows" key.
>
> Just out of curiosity, what if the user doesn't have the "windows" key on
> their keyboard? Not all keyboards have it, IIRC. :-)
>
> Just asking, as a happy KDE user... ;-)
>
> Best, :-)
> Marko

Possibly G-3 followed KDE and use Alt F2 (or whatever KDE uss?) ...

Old 06-08-2011, 07:55 PM
Markus Schönhaber

08.06.2011 21:48, Marko Vojinovic:

> On Wednesday 08 June 2011 20:12:25 Steve Searle wrote:

>> Press the "Windows" key.
>
> Just out of curiosity, what if the user doesn't have the "windows" key on
> their keyboard? Not all keyboards have it, IIRC. :-)

Alt+F1 does the same as the Windows key.

--
Regards
mks

Old 06-08-2011, 07:55 PM
Steve Searle

Around 08:48pm on Wednesday, June 08, 2011 (UK time), Marko Vojinovic scrawled:

> On Wednesday 08 June 2011 20:12:25 Steve Searle wrote:
> > Around 06:57pm on Wednesday, June 08, 2011 (UK time), Oliver Ruebenacker
> scrawled:
> > > On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 12:23 PM, Steven Stern
> > > anything efficiently. I want some way to see which windows are open,
> >
> > Press the "Windows" key.
>
> Just out of curiosity, what if the user doesn't have the "windows" key on
> their keyboard? Not all keyboards have it, IIRC. :-)

Alt+F1 also does it. As does moving the mouse to the top left corner, or
clicking on Activities.

And you can change the Alt+F1 to something else in keyboard shortcuts.

Steve

--

Website: www.stevesearle.com
Twitter: @ReddishShift
Facebook: www.facebook.com/steve.searle

20:53:53 up 5 days, 11:21, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.02, 0.00

Old 06-08-2011, 07:56 PM
"Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak"

>>> Press the "Windows" key.
>>
>> Just out of curiosity, what if the user doesn't have the "windows" key on
>> their keyboard? Not all keyboards have it, IIRC. :-)

Alt+F1

- Mike