Old 06-08-2011, 03:18 PM
Oliver Ruebenacker

Default Upgraded F14 -> F15, now how do I use this?

Hello again,

Also, I had a desktop full of stuff and now my desktop looks
completely empty, although the folder "Desktop" and its contents still
exist.

Plus i had a number of icons on the top toolbar, like a few
applications to start and a temperature display, and they are all
gone. In F14, I knew how to add things, but I don't know in F15.

Help! What is going on? Is my F15 severely crippled, and if so, how
can I fix it? Otherwise, how can I use this to do anything?

Thanks!

Take care
Oliver

Old 06-08-2011, 03:32 PM
"n2xssvv.g02gfr12930"

On 08/06/11 16:18, Oliver Ruebenacker wrote:
> Hello again,
>
> Also, I had a desktop full of stuff and now my desktop looks
> completely empty, although the folder "Desktop" and its contents still
> exist.
>
> Plus i had a number of icons on the top toolbar, like a few
> applications to start and a temperature display, and they are all
> gone. In F14, I knew how to add things, but I don't know in F15.
>
> Help! What is going on? Is my F15 severely crippled, and if so, how
> can I fix it? Otherwise, how can I use this to do anything?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Take care
> Oliver
>
> On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 10:49 AM, Oliver Ruebenacker <curoli@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I just used preupgrade to upgrade from F14 to F15. Now, the toolbar
>> at the bottom is gone, and so is the menu in the upper left corner.
>> Now I am not sure whether some components are missing or whether F15
>> has some brand new ways to do the things I could do up to F14 which I
>> need to learn first? Like, switching from one open application to
>> another with a simple mouse click? Now, to start anything, I need to
>> go to "Activities", then "Applications" and then browse the whole list
>> or click on a category. In F14, with the menu, it was a lot faster.
>> I'll attach a screenshot. Although the screen shot does not show,
>> Eclipse and FileManager are open, too, and there seems to be no quick
>> and easy way to bring them to the front. Is F15 supposed to be like
>> this?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Take care
>> Oliver
>>
>> --
>> Oliver Ruebenacker, Computational Cell Biologist
>> Systems Biology Linker at Virtual Cell (http://vcell.org/sybil)
>> Turning Knowledge Data into Models
>> Center for Cell Analysis and Modeling
>> http://www.oliver.curiousworld.org

You don't say whether you are using gnome or KDE, but I suspect you were
using gnome, which has been updated. This may be the cause of your
problem. Unfortunately I use KDE and cannot help much with gnome.

Old 06-08-2011, 03:35 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Wed, 2011-06-08 at 11:18 -0400, Oliver Ruebenacker wrote:
> Help! What is going on? Is my F15 severely crippled, and if so, how
> can I fix it? Otherwise, how can I use this to do anything?

I presume you mean "Gnome 3 works differently from what I'm used to".
Don't confuse the system with one of its user interfaces, they aren't
the same thing. (Of course F15 also has important changes in other
aspects, notably systemd, but you don't seem to be talking about that).

Solution: read the extensive discussions on the list archives over the
past couple of weeks.

or

Use a different desktop, such as KDE, which works as before.

poc

Old 06-08-2011, 03:49 PM
Steven Stern

On 06/08/2011 10:18 AM, Oliver Ruebenacker wrote:
> Hello again,
>
> Also, I had a desktop full of stuff and now my desktop looks
> completely empty, although the folder "Desktop" and its contents still
> exist.
>
> Plus i had a number of icons on the top toolbar, like a few
> applications to start and a temperature display, and they are all
> gone. In F14, I knew how to add things, but I don't know in F15.
>
> Help! What is going on? Is my F15 severely crippled, and if so, how
> can I fix it? Otherwise, how can I use this to do anything?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Take care
> Oliver
>
> On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 10:49 AM, Oliver Ruebenacker<curoli@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I just used preupgrade to upgrade from F14 to F15. Now, the toolbar
>> at the bottom is gone, and so is the menu in the upper left corner.
>> Now I am not sure whether some components are missing or whether F15
>> has some brand new ways to do the things I could do up to F14 which I
>> need to learn first? Like, switching from one open application to
>> another with a simple mouse click? Now, to start anything, I need to
>> go to "Activities", then "Applications" and then browse the whole list
>> or click on a category. In F14, with the menu, it was a lot faster.
>> I'll attach a screenshot. Although the screen shot does not show,
>> Eclipse and FileManager are open, too, and there seems to be no quick
>> and easy way to bring them to the front. Is F15 supposed to be like
>> this?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Take care
>> Oliver
>>
>> --
>> Oliver Ruebenacker, Computational Cell Biologist
>> Systems Biology Linker at Virtual Cell (http://vcell.org/sybil)
>> Turning Knowledge Data into Models
>> Center for Cell Analysis and Modeling
>> http://www.oliver.curiousworld.org

If you want files and shortcuts on your desktop, install
gnome-tweak-tool and choose the option "Let File Manager manage desktop".

I also use avant-window-manager to add a mac-like dock to the bottom of
my screen to hold application launchers and icons for open applications.

--
-- Steve

Old 06-08-2011, 03:51 PM
Alan Evans

On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 8:35 AM, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> Solution: read the extensive discussions on the list archives over the
> past couple of weeks.

*That* sounds like an efficient migration strategy!

> Use a different desktop, such as KDE, which works as before.

If the switch from GNOME 2 to GNOME 3 left the user lost in unfamiliar
territory, how is switching to KDE a "solution"?

-Alan

Old 06-08-2011, 04:02 PM
Joe Zeff

On 06/08/2011 08:49 AM, Steven Stern wrote:
> I also use avant-window-manager to add a mac-like dock to the bottom of
> my screen to hold application launchers and icons for open applications.

Is it just me, or does anybody else feel that it's Just Wrong to have to
install third-party addons to give Gnome 3 the same functionality that
Gnome 2 had? I can accept (but not understand) their decision that
these things shouldn't be there by default, but why not make them an
option? Please, no flames; I'm not trying to restart that argument,
just making an observation.

Old 06-08-2011, 04:04 PM
Joe Zeff

On 06/08/2011 08:51 AM, Alan Evans wrote:
> If the switch from GNOME 2 to GNOME 3 left the user lost in unfamiliar
> territory, how is switching to KDE a "solution"?

I don't use KDE, but I'd guess that the "look and feel" of it is close
enough to Gnome 2 that it's not hard to adapt to.

Old 06-08-2011, 04:04 PM
Genes MailLists

On 06/08/2011 11:51 AM, Alan Evans wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 8:35 AM, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>
>> Use a different desktop, such as KDE, which works as before.
>
> If the switch from GNOME 2 to GNOME 3 left the user lost in unfamiliar
> territory, how is switching to KDE a "solution"?

I suspect he simply meant that Gnome 2 to KDE, while it has a smallish
learning curve, is easier than going to Gnome 3. (At least that was my
experience anyway)

G-3 suffers the issue of functionality having been removed. Some of
that can be recovered by installing additional extensions which live
outside of gnome core.

KDE is polished and works quite well and has most if not all of the
Gnomme 2 functionality in a stock install. So, yeh there is a learning
curve but its not too bad. I have seen many switch away from Gnome 3,
some to KDE and a few to the lighter DE's like xfce.

Old 06-08-2011, 04:19 PM
fred smith

On Wed, Jun 08, 2011 at 09:02:17AM -0700, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 06/08/2011 08:49 AM, Steven Stern wrote:
> > I also use avant-window-manager to add a mac-like dock to the bottom of
> > my screen to hold application launchers and icons for open applications.
>
> Is it just me, or does anybody else feel that it's Just Wrong to have to
> install third-party addons to give Gnome 3 the same functionality that
> Gnome 2 had? I can accept (but not understand) their decision that
> these things shouldn't be there by default, but why not make them an
> option? Please, no flames; I'm not trying to restart that argument,
> just making an observation.

Well clearly the Gnome developers don't want to maintain the prior
behavior.

As a programmer, I can't blame them, or not much.

but as a user, I find it to be akin to yanking the rug out from under.

I'm hoping I don't come across as ranting here, I'm just trying to
show some of the frustrations with such a massive change.

I've spent only a little time messing with Gnome 3/F15, but I admit I
found it frustrating.

I've run Fedora on my eeepc (901) since F10, and it is now running F14.
I've been playing with other fedora spins, and one or two other distros
to see if I can find one I like enough, and with which I am sufficiently
comfortable, to use instead of stock fedora/gnome.

I've got f15 LXDE on one system and while it works, I'm not entirely
comfortable with it. perhaps I've just not spent enough time.

I've tested Bodhi on my eeepc (via an external usb hard drive
installation) and while it seems to run very well, I'm finding the
UI presented by Enlightenment to be not intuitive to my old, tired,
gnome2-oriented brain. (not to mention, the different world-view of a
debian/ubuntu-derived system. E.g., why are there four or five different
tools for updating the system/installing packages? the man pages don't
seem to give clear reasons for the multiplicity, or maybe I've just not
looked hard enough.)

I will stick with F14 until one of: 1) it goes unsupported, or 2) I find
something else I like well enough to switch, and that probably won't be
gnome 3.

I've toyed with F15/KDE via live CD, but it's been many years since I've
run a KDE system and I find that I also am not entirely comfortable with
the changes in KDE either.
all ages, now and forevermore! Amen."

Old 06-08-2011, 04:23 PM
Steven Stern

On 06/08/2011 11:02 AM, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 06/08/2011 08:49 AM, Steven Stern wrote:
>> I also use avant-window-manager to add a mac-like dock to the bottom of
>> my screen to hold application launchers and icons for open applications.
>
> Is it just me, or does anybody else feel that it's Just Wrong to have to
> install third-party addons to give Gnome 3 the same functionality that
> Gnome 2 had? I can accept (but not understand) their decision that
> these things shouldn't be there by default, but why not make them an
> option? Please, no flames; I'm not trying to restart that argument,
> just making an observation.

No flames, please!

Last summer, I switched my laptop from Windows Vista to Mac. It took a
bit of rethinking to accept the new desktop. I think it will be the same
process for Gnome 2 to Gnome 3. I can make Gnome 3 work for me without
avant-window-navigator, but I've come to like the Mac look and feel (and
the eye candy of the dock). The functionality is still there, for the
most part, in Gnome 3, but it's in different places.

Here's a screenshot:
http://www.sterndata.com/content/gnome-3-and-awn-new-desktop

Gnome 3 is still a work in progress, so <underline>as Fedora
users</underline> interested in being on the leading edge, it behooves
us to try the new stuff and provide <very bold>constructive and useful
feedback<back to normal> feedback about how it's going for us.

--
-- Steve