Old 06-06-2011, 11:40 PM
Tom Horsley

Default Why xfce4-notifyd?

When firefox pops up a notification (like all downloads are
complete) it shows up in my fvwm session as a window
titled "xfce4-notifyd".

Where the heck is the xfce stuff coming from? I'm not
using xfce, I'm starting fvwm with my own ~/.xsession
script which doesn't make a single mention of anything
xfce related.

Why is firefox unable to popup its own notification
windows?

Old 06-08-2011, 02:08 PM
Rex Dieter

Tom Horsley wrote:

> When firefox pops up a notification (like all downloads are
> complete) it shows up in my fvwm session as a window
> titled "xfce4-notifyd".
>
> Where the heck is the xfce stuff coming from? I'm not
> using xfce, I'm starting fvwm with my own ~/.xsession
> script which doesn't make a single mention of anything
> xfce related.
>
> Why is firefox unable to popup its own notification
> windows?

firefox is simply using the xdg notification spec, and xfce4-notifyd is one
implementation providing that. gnome and kde each have their own as well.

-- Rex

Old 06-08-2011, 02:08 PM
Rex Dieter

Old 06-08-2011, 02:21 PM
Tom Horsley

On Wed, 08 Jun 2011 09:08:09 -0500
Rex Dieter wrote:

> firefox is simply using the xdg notification spec, and xfce4-notifyd is one
> implementation providing that. gnome and kde each have their own as well.

I wonder where it finds xfce in preference to gnome. I am running the
gnome-settings-daemon which a lot of other random stuff goes through.
I guess I need to do a new comparison of all the junk that starts
in an official gnome session versus what I start manually in my
xsession script.

Old 06-08-2011, 02:21 PM
Tom Horsley

Old 06-08-2011, 05:32 PM
Rex Dieter

Tom Horsley wrote:

> On Wed, 08 Jun 2011 09:08:09 -0500
> Rex Dieter wrote:
>
>> firefox is simply using the xdg notification spec, and xfce4-notifyd is
>> one
>> implementation providing that. gnome and kde each have their own as
>> well.
>
> I wonder where it finds xfce in preference to gnome. I am running the
> gnome-settings-daemon which a lot of other random stuff goes through.

repoquery --whatprovides desktop-notification-daemon
=>
notification-daemon
xfce4-notifyd
kdebase-runtime

Now, how yum choses a particular provider follows this:
http://yum.baseurl.org/wiki/CompareProviders

The cliff's notes version of that is generally which candidate requires the
least extra dependencies. If all things are equal, chose the one with the
shortest name.

-- Rex