Old 06-06-2011, 04:58 PM
John Aldrich

Default No sound since upgrading to F15 (SOLVED)

On Mon June 6 2011, Tim Smith wrote:

> I found I had to
>
> (a) install and use pavucontrol so I could make pulseaudio send stuff to
> the right places ("everyone" has two soundcards these days as there's
> the HDMI audio in your graphics card which probably isn't connected to
> anything unless it is - basically you can't get this right any more and
> there needs to be an extra configuration step).
>
> (b) play with (in my case) "alsamixer -c 0" to fix up my mixers and
> stuff. Pulse doesn't seem to like independent headphones - if I turn
> that on no amount of messing about will get me any sound.
>
> (c) Manually save the ALSA state with alsactl and put something in
> rc.local to reload it because F15 no longer gets this right, and
> otherwise I have to do (b) again every time I reboot.

I found that upgrading to Fedora 15 had caused *all* inputs to be muted as
well as the outputs. I had to go and un-mute everything. Bloody idiots,
IMNSHO, who decided to mute everything on an upgrade!

Old 06-06-2011, 05:04 PM
Tom Horsley

On Mon, 6 Jun 2011 12:58:51 -0400
John Aldrich wrote:

> I had to go and un-mute everything. Bloody idiots,
> IMNSHO, who decided to mute everything on an upgrade!

Well, that's a better direction than the time I had
to replace all the glass in my house because it was
shattered when a new release set the volume to max
and played the gnome startup sound :-).

Old 06-06-2011, 07:30 PM
Joe Zeff

On 06/06/2011 10:04 AM, Tom Horsley wrote:
> Well, that's a better direction than the time I had
> to replace all the glass in my house because it was
> shattered when a new release set the volume to max
> and played the gnome startup sound :-).

Does your computer really need amplifiers and speakers big enough to do
that?

Old 06-07-2011, 01:21 AM
John Aldrich

On Mon June 6 2011, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Jun 2011 12:58:51 -0400
>
> John Aldrich wrote:
> > I had to go and un-mute everything. Bloody idiots,
> > IMNSHO, who decided to mute everything on an upgrade!
>
> Well, that's a better direction than the time I had
> to replace all the glass in my house because it was
> shattered when a new release set the volume to max
> and played the gnome startup sound :-).

Why reset *anything*??? Why not keep the existing settings??? If I'm having
to fsck around with the speakers and volume settings, if I accidentally
manage to figure out what the hell is causing me NOT to have any sound, I'm
likely to blow my eardrums at the least!