Old 06-06-2011, 01:56 PM
Tom Horsley

Default Why is systemd trying to start NetworkManager?

I have disabled NetworkManager and enabled network, yet I still
find these messages in my logs from time to time:

Jun 6 05:31:21 zooty dbus-daemon: [system] Activation via systemd failed for unit 'dbus-org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.service': Unit dbus-org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.service failed to load: No such file or directory. See system logs and 'systemctl status' for details.

At least it is failing to start it, but why is it even trying?

systemctl status NetworkManager.service
NetworkManager.service - Network Manager
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/NetworkManager.service)
Active: inactive (dead)
CGroup: name=systemd:/system/NetworkManager.service

I also have no idea why it says "loaded", I wouldn't think a
disabled service would get loaded.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:11 PM
Ian Pilcher

On 06/06/2011 08:56 AM, Tom Horsley wrote:
> Jun 6 05:31:21 zooty dbus-daemon: [system] Activation via systemd failed for unit 'dbus-org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.service': Unit dbus-org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.service failed to load: No such file or directory. See system logs and 'systemctl status' for details.

Something is trying to talk to NetworkManager via dbus, causing dbus to
try to "autostart" it.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:29 PM
Tom Horsley

On Mon, 06 Jun 2011 09:11:37 -0500
Ian Pilcher wrote:

> Something is trying to talk to NetworkManager via dbus, causing dbus to
> try to "autostart" it.

I guess I'll have to leave the dbus monitor program running
to see if I can find who that is (first I have to remember
the name of the dbus monitor program :-).

Old 06-06-2011, 02:54 PM
Rahul Sundaram

On 06/06/2011 07:59 PM, Tom Horsley wrote:
> I guess I'll have to leave the dbus monitor program running
> to see if I can find who that is (first I have to remember
> the name of the dbus monitor program :-).

/dev/null trick is probably what you need

http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/three-levels-of-off

Rahul