-   -   CJK Extension B Chinese fonts for Firefox (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/535755-cjk-extension-b-chinese-fonts-firefox.html)

Piscium 06-06-2011 12:49 PM

CJK Extension B Chinese fonts for Firefox

The link below [1] points to a page that tests the display of Chinese
characters.

With Firefox on Fedora 14 I can display correctly Traditional Chinese,
Simplified Chinese, and CJK Extension A characters, however of the 4
CJK Extension B characters only one is displayed correctly. The
character encoding is set as Unicode UTF-8 (I have not changed this).

Does anybody know how I can fix this? I do have the "Chinese Support"
group installed (I think it is installed by default).

---
[1] http://ctext.org/font-test-page

Ed Greshko 06-06-2011 01:05 PM

On 06/06/2011 08:49 PM, Piscium wrote:
> The link below [1] points to a page that tests the display of Chinese
> characters.
>
> With Firefox on Fedora 14 I can display correctly Traditional Chinese,
> Simplified Chinese, and CJK Extension A characters, however of the 4
> CJK Extension B characters only one is displayed correctly. The
> character encoding is set as Unicode UTF-8 (I have not changed this).
>
> Does anybody know how I can fix this? I do have the "Chinese Support"
> group installed (I think it is installed by default).
>
> ---
> [1] http://ctext.org/font-test-page

You can get closer by installing hanazono-fonts. As in 3 out of 4.

张启德(Zhang Qide) 06-06-2011 01:11 PM

2011/6/6 Piscium <groknok@gmail.com>:
> The link below [1] points to a page that tests the display of Chinese
> characters.
>
> With Firefox on Fedora 14 I can display correctly Traditional Chinese,
> Simplified Chinese, and CJK Extension A characters, however of the 4
> CJK Extension B characters only one is displayed correctly. The
> character encoding is set as Unicode UTF-8 (I have not changed this).

I have the similar problem. It seems that some characters in "CJK Extension B"
is still not included in main fonts.(WenQuanYi xxx or AR PL xxx)
see http://wenq.org

Piscium 06-06-2011 01:35 PM

On 6 June 2011 14:05, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko@greshko.com> wrote:

> You can get closer by installing hanazono-fonts. *As in 3 out of 4.

I did that and as you said I now get 3 out of 4.

Thanks.

Frank Murphy 06-06-2011 01:41 PM

On 06/06/11 14:35, Piscium wrote:
> On 6 June 2011 14:05, Ed Greshko<Ed.Greshko@greshko.com> wrote:
>
>> You can get closer by installing hanazono-fonts. As in 3 out of 4.
>
> I did that and as you said I now get 3 out of 4.
>
> Thanks.

Just for a test I installed the Windows zip file.
It gave the laste one.

Frank Murphy
UTF_8 Encoded
Friend of Fedora

Piscium 06-06-2011 01:58 PM

On 6 June 2011 14:41, Frank Murphy <frankly3d@gmail.com> wrote:

> Just for a test I installed the Windows zip file.
> It gave the laste one.

Yes, correct.

I also downloaded the zip file with the Han Nom fonts from [1] as
recommended in [2].

In contains two TTF files. I put them in the folder ~/.fonts and now
the four test characters are displayed correctly.

----
[1] http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/vietunicode/hannomH.zip?download/
[2] http://ctext.org/font-test-page

Steve Underwood 06-06-2011 02:08 PM

On 06/06/2011 09:11 PM, *启德(Zhang Qide) wrote:
> 2011/6/6 Piscium<groknok@gmail.com>:
>> The link below [1] points to a page that tests the display of Chinese
>> characters.
>>
>> With Firefox on Fedora 14 I can display correctly Traditional Chinese,
>> Simplified Chinese, and CJK Extension A characters, however of the 4
>> CJK Extension B characters only one is displayed correctly. The
>> character encoding is set as Unicode UTF-8 (I have not changed this).
> I have the similar problem. It seems that some characters in "CJK Extension B"
> is still not included in main fonts.(WenQuanYi xxx or AR PL xxx)
> see http://wenq.org
>
>> Does anybody know how I can fix this? I do have the "Chinese Support"
>> group installed (I think it is installed by default).
As well as the missing characters, there are still a lot of places where
something readable is shown, but it looks really ugly. Typically a mix
of fonts are being used. For example, on my FC14 box *启德 displays
badly, because the * is obviously from a different character set.
Oddly, it not only looks different, but is also considerably smaller
than 启德.

Steve

Piscium 06-06-2011 02:21 PM

On 6 June 2011 15:08, Steve Underwood <steveu@coppice.org> wrote:

> As well as the missing characters, there are still a lot of places where
> something readable is shown, but it looks really ugly. Typically a mix
> of fonts are being used. For example, on my FC14 box *启德 displays
> badly, because the * is obviously from a different character set.
> Oddly, it not only looks different, but is also considerably smaller
> than 启德.

Yes, I also noticed that the fonts display differently.

After I installed Han Nom it appeared to me that it looked crisper
than hanazono-fonts, so I uninstalled the latter (though I don't know
what character sets they cover so it is good to know about
hanazono-fonts as I may need them some day to display Japanese
characters).

On my PC the first character of the sequence *启德 does indeed look less
nice and from a different font than the other two, though they are all
of the same size, even at different font sizes all the way to 72
points.

张启德(Zhang Qide) 06-06-2011 03:32 PM

CJK Extension B Chinese fonts for Firefox

在 2011年6月6日 下午10:21,Piscium <groknok@gmail.com> 写道:
> On 6 June 2011 15:08, Steve Underwood <steveu@coppice.org> wrote:
>
>> As well as the missing characters, there are still a lot of places where
>> something readable is shown, but it looks really ugly. Typically a mix
>> of fonts are being used. For example, on my FC14 box *启德 displays
>> badly, because the * is obviously from a different character set.
>> Oddly, it not only looks different, but is also considerably smaller
>> than 启德.
>
> Yes, I also noticed that the fonts display differently.
>
> After I installed Han Nom it appeared to me that it looked crisper
> than hanazono-fonts, so I uninstalled the latter (though I don't know
> what character sets they cover so it is good to know about
> hanazono-fonts as I may need them some day to display Japanese
> characters).
>
> On my PC the first character of the sequence *启德 does indeed look less
> nice and from a different font than the other two, though they are all
> of the same size, even at different font sizes all the way to 72
> points.
I noticed this in gedit and gnome-terminal on fedora 13/14, but no
problem in firefox.
Some CJK characters in gedit or gnome-terminal are smaller than other,
I don't know
what causes this on fedora. I have no problem in openSuse/Ubuntu/Debian.
Sorry for my poor English.