-   -   Flash update questions for f14 (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/535635-flash-update-questions-f14.html)

Eric Tanguy 06-06-2011 05:02 AM

Flash update questions for f14

Le 06/06/2011 02:33, Ed Greshko a écrit :
> On 06/06/2011 08:25 AM, Alex wrote:
>> The Adobe page points to an i386 version, and no Adobe Labs version is
>> currently available. How can I continue to use the 64-bit version on
>> fedora as an RPM with the current version?
> The 64 bit version is available from Adobe Labs....just not in rpm format.
>
> http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashplayer10/square/

There is but not in this url.
See http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Flash#Third_Party_Repository
and the package seems to be recent ...
Eric

Ed Greshko 06-06-2011 05:40 AM

Eric Tanguy <eric.tanguy@gmail.com> wrote:

>Le 06/06/2011 02:33, Ed Greshko a écrit :
>> On 06/06/2011 08:25 AM, Alex wrote:
>>> The Adobe page points to an i386 version, and no Adobe Labs version
>is
>>> currently available. How can I continue to use the 64-bit version on
>>> fedora as an RPM with the current version?
>> The 64 bit version is available from Adobe Labs....just not in rpm
>format.
>>
>> http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashplayer10/square/
>>
>There is but not in this url.
>See http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Flash#Third_Party_Repository
>and the package seems to be recent ...

32 bit flash running under nswrapper?

--
Sent from my Android tablet with K-9 Mail.

Eric Tanguy 06-06-2011 04:36 PM

Le 06/06/2011 07:40, Ed Greshko a écrit :
> Eric Tanguy<eric.tanguy@gmail.com> wrote:

>> is
>>> The 64 bit version is available from Adobe Labs....just not in rpm
>> format.
>>> http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashplayer10/square/
>>>
>> There is but not in this url.
>> See http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Flash#Third_Party_Repository
>> and the package seems to be recent ...
> 32 bit flash running under nswrapper?

No the native 64bits.

Alex 06-08-2011 03:50 AM

Flash update questions for f14

Hi,

>>> is currently available. How can I continue to use the 64-bit version on
>>> format.
>>>>
>>> There is but not in this url.
>>> See http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Flash#Third_Party_Repository
>>> and the package seems to be recent ...
>> 32 bit flash running under nswrapper?
>>
> No the native 64bits.

The quoting is somewhat screwed up somehow, but it seems these links
above point to each other, but neither point to the 64bit "Square"
binaries themselves.

The fedoraproject link discusses the leigh123 efforts that were done
long ago, and no recent update RPM appears to exist.

The labs.adobe.com link points to the "Square" Preview Release, where
it tells you to download it from the adobe download center. The
download center page either lets you download the 10.2 release from
last November, or sends you to the main download page, where it says
you can download the "YUM" i386 release. It also has a link to the
adobe labs page (which just points back to the adobe release page).

Can someone explain how to get the 10.3 64bit flash binaries installed
properly? Has no one taken on maintaining them as an RPM?

Thanks,
Alex

"Kevin J. Cummings" 06-08-2011 04:49 AM

On 06/07/2011 11:50 PM, Alex wrote:
> The quoting is somewhat screwed up somehow, but it seems these links
> above point to each other, but neither point to the 64bit "Square"
> binaries themselves.

The Adobe Flash Square page has this link for 64 linux:

> http://download.macromedia.com/pub/labs/flashplayer10/flashplayer10_2_p3_64bit_linux_111710.tar.gz

You will notice that the date is 11/17/2010 on the tar file.

Adobe did release one further update in January of 2011, but they pulled
it for some reason.

> The fedoraproject link discusses the leigh123 efforts that were done
> long ago, and no recent update RPM appears to exist.

Leigh123 created a repository for an RPM that he created for the 64-bit
flash:

> su
> yum erase flash-plugin nspluginwrapper*
> rpm -Uvh http://www.linux-ati-drivers.homecall.co.uk/flashplayer.x86_64/flash-release-1-2.noarch.rpm
> yum install flash-plugin

If you do this, you should be using the most recent 64-bit flash release
from Adobe Labs. Yes, it appears to be somewhat old.

> The labs.adobe.com link points to the "Square" Preview Release, where
> it tells you to download it from the adobe download center. The
> download center page either lets you download the 10.2 release from
> last November, or sends you to the main download page, where it says
> you can download the "YUM" i386 release. It also has a link to the
> adobe labs page (which just points back to the adobe release page).

Actually, if you look at *this* page (from Adobe):

> http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10_square.html

You should see the link to the file I mentioned above. The version is
10.3 preview release (the 3rd preview if I remember correctly). There
appear to be no more recent versions available from Adobe.

> Can someone explain how to get the 10.3 64bit flash binaries installed
> properly? Has no one taken on maintaining them as an RPM?

Leigh123 has, the problem is that Adobe hasn't released a new 64-bit
version in over 6 months....

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@rcn.com

Alex 06-08-2011 02:00 PM

Flash update questions for f14

Hi,

>> Can someone explain how to get the 10.3 64bit flash binaries installed
>> properly? Has no one taken on maintaining them as an RPM?
>
> Leigh123 has, the problem is that Adobe hasn't released a new 64-bit
> version in over 6 months....

Okay, that explains it. This is the part that I missed. I thought
Adobe was finally keeping up for some reason.

I bought some Adobe stock a few years ago, thinking they were a good
company, and it hasn't moved much :-) Hope they get with it soon.

Thanks again,
Alex

Alex 06-08-2011 02:00 PM

Tim Evans 06-08-2011 02:03 PM

On 06/08/2011 10:00 AM, Alex wrote:

> I bought some Adobe stock a few years ago, thinking they were a good
> company, and it hasn't moved much :-) Hope they get with it soon.

Doubt whether Adobe does a 64-bit upgrade will have much effect on its
stock.

Tim Evans 06-08-2011 02:03 PM

Alex 06-08-2011 02:09 PM

Flash update questions for f14

>> I bought some Adobe stock a few years ago, thinking they were a good
>> company, and it hasn't moved much :-) Hope they get with it soon.
>
> Doubt whether Adobe does a 64-bit upgrade will have much effect on its
> stock.

Yes, I should hope not. By "it" I mean their stock price and the
company in general, of course :-)

Regards,
Alex