-   -   Real benefits of RHEL over Fedora? (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/535589-real-benefits-rhel-over-fedora.html)

Alex 06-06-2011 12:42 AM

Real benefits of RHEL over Fedora?

Hi,

I'm in the process of building a mail server and considering CentOS,
fedora, or RHEL. If I chose the RHEL option, I would probably choose
the minimal support level.

This server will be performing basic mail functions, including
postfix, dovecot, spamassassin, and webmail/squirrelmail. It will be a
moderately active server, delivering as many as 80k emails per day.

For something like this, will there be a great performance benefit to
using RHEL over fedora? Is the kernel that much different that it
would make a significant difference? Both would use ext4 for the
filesystem. Both would use the same spamassassin and postfix
versions...

Are the benefits to using the KVM/qemu virtual machine features on
RHEL 6.x that much better than what's available in fedora15?

I recall reading that CentOS is having trouble keeping up with the
latest RHEL. Is this currently a problem? Any input on whether future
updates will be delayed as well?

Thanks for any ideas.

Alex

James McKenzie 06-06-2011 12:55 AM

On 6/5/11 5:42 PM, Alex wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm in the process of building a mail server and considering CentOS,
> fedora, or RHEL. If I chose the RHEL option, I would probably choose
> the minimal support level.

Is this for a business or personal use? If it is for business, go with
RHEL 6 or the latest version of CentOS. Fedora, as great as it is,
continues to be a testing environment for RedHat. If it is for
personal/home use, I would choose Fedora, if you like to run in a
testing environment and have access to the latest programs. If you
don't like doing that, then I would go with CentOS.

James McKenzie

Patrick O'Callaghan 06-06-2011 01:37 AM

On Sun, 2011-06-05 at 20:42 -0400, Alex wrote:
> For something like this, will there be a great performance benefit to
> using RHEL over fedora?

Why do you think RHEL would have better performance than Fedora? If
there's any difference I would expect it to be the other way round,
given that Fedora is more leading-edge.

AFAIK the reasons for using RHEL include stability and support, not
performance.

poc

JD 06-06-2011 01:41 AM

On 06/05/11 18:46, Itamar Reis Peixoto wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 5, 2011 at 9:42 PM, Alex<mysqlstudent@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm in the process of building a mail server and considering CentOS,
>> fedora, or RHEL. If I chose the RHEL option, I would probably choose
>> the minimal support level.
>>
>> This server will be performing basic mail functions, including
>> postfix, dovecot, spamassassin, and webmail/squirrelmail. It will be a
>> moderately active server, delivering as many as 80k emails per day.
>>
>> For something like this, will there be a great performance benefit to
>> using RHEL over fedora? Is the kernel that much different that it
>> would make a significant difference? Both would use ext4 for the
>> filesystem. Both would use the same spamassassin and postfix
>> versions...
>>
>> Are the benefits to using the KVM/qemu virtual machine features on
>> RHEL 6.x that much better than what's available in fedora15?
>>
>> I recall reading that CentOS is having trouble keeping up with the
>> latest RHEL. Is this currently a problem? Any input on whether future
>> updates will be delayed as well?
>>
>> Thanks for any ideas.
>>
>> Alex
>
> I recommend you fedora or centos 6.0 (not yet released)

Also, Scientific Linux 6.0 is RHEL 6.0 with emphasis on scientific SW.
https://www.scientificlinux.org/
Mirrors:

HTTP: http://mirrors.200p-sf.sonic.net/scientific/
FTP: ftp://mirrors.200p-sf.sonic.net/scientific/

HTTP: http://www.gtlib.gatech.edu/pub/scientific
FTP: ftp://ftp.gtlib.gatech.edu/pub/scientific
RSYNC: rsync://rsync.gtlib.gatech.edu/scientific

HTTP: http://mirror.mcs.anl.gov/pub/scientific-linux/
FTP: ftp://mirror.mcs.anl.gov/pub/scientific-linux/
RSYNC: rsync://mirror.mcs.anl.gov/scientific-linux/

FTP: ftp://linux1.fnal.gov/linux/scientific/
FTP: ftp://linux.fnal.gov/linux/scientific/

FTP: ftp://mirror.phy.olemiss.edu/scientific
HTTP: http://mirror.phy.olemiss.edu/mirror/scientific

FTP: ftp://mirror.cs.wisc.edu/pub/mirrors/linux/scientificlinux.org
HTTP: http://mirror.cs.wisc.edu/pub/mirrors/linux/scientificlinux.org
RSYNC: rsync://mirror.cs.wisc.edu/scientificlinux

Itamar Reis Peixoto 06-06-2011 01:46 AM

--
------------

Itamar Reis Peixoto
msn, google talk: itamar@ispbrasil.com.br
+55 11 4063 5033 (FIXO SP)
+55 34 9158 9329 (TIM)
+55 34 8806 3989 (OI)
+55 34 3221 8599 (FIXO MG)

Mike Dwiggins 06-06-2011 02:52 AM

On 6/5/2011 5:42 PM, Alex wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm in the process of building a mail server and considering CentOS,
> fedora, or RHEL. If I chose the RHEL option, I would probably choose
> the minimal support level.
>
> This server will be performing basic mail functions, including
> postfix, dovecot, spamassassin, and webmail/squirrelmail. It will be a
> moderately active server, delivering as many as 80k emails per day.
>
> For something like this, will there be a great performance benefit to
> using RHEL over fedora? Is the kernel that much different that it
> would make a significant difference? Both would use ext4 for the
> filesystem. Both would use the same spamassassin and postfix
> versions...
>
> Are the benefits to using the KVM/qemu virtual machine features on
> RHEL 6.x that much better than what's available in fedora15?
>
> I recall reading that CentOS is having trouble keeping up with the
> latest RHEL. Is this currently a problem? Any input on whether future
> updates will be delayed as well?
>
> Thanks for any ideas.
>
> Alex
I used to run RHEL and about six months ago switched to Fedora. I run
my wife's Web site and her e-mail server on it and have had no
problems! If RHEL is going to go to Gnome 3, I will stay with Fedora!

Mike

Misha Shnurapet 06-06-2011 02:59 AM

06.06.2011, 09:42, "Alex" <mysqlstudent@gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> I'm in the process of building a mail server and considering CentOS,
> fedora, or RHEL. If I chose the RHEL option, I would probably choose
> the minimal support level.
>
> This server will be performing basic mail functions, including
> postfix, dovecot, spamassassin, and webmail/squirrelmail. It will be a
> moderately active server, delivering as many as 80k emails per day.
>
> For something like this, will there be a great performance benefit to
> using RHEL over fedora? Is the kernel that much different that it
> would make a significant difference? Both would use ext4 for the
> filesystem. Both would use the same spamassassin and postfix
> versions...
>
> Are the benefits to using the KVM/qemu virtual machine features on
> RHEL 6.x that much better than what's available in fedora15?
>
> I recall reading that CentOS is having trouble keeping up with the
> latest RHEL. Is this currently a problem? Any input on whether future
> updates will be delayed as well?
>
> Thanks for any ideas.
>
> Alex

You would go with RHEL if you want a rock-solid platform that won't change for at least two or three years to come (to know what to stabilize your products against if you are an enterprise developer, for example), also if you want to receive support for this period of time. Fedora is a stable operating system yet changing very rapidly and only supported by the community for one year. None of them are solely debugging environment whatever, these are two equal products serving different purpose.

--
Best regards,
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Shnurapet

Ian Pilcher 06-06-2011 03:11 AM

On 06/05/2011 07:42 PM, Alex wrote:
> For something like this, will there be a great performance benefit to
> using RHEL over fedora? Is the kernel that much different that it
> would make a significant difference? Both would use ext4 for the
> filesystem. Both would use the same spamassassin and postfix
> versions...

The big benefit of RHEL is stability, not performance. For you, this
probably means a *lot* less time spent administering the system. Fedora
releases have a support (i.e. security updates and bug fixes) lifespan
of about a year; for RHEL it's 7 years. This means that even if you
skip every other Fedora release, you're likely to do about 5 Fedora
version upgrades during a lifetime of a RHEL release. Every one of
those versions can potentially introduce configuration file changes or
other incompatibilities that will require you to figure out how to set
up some aspect of your system again. (Or they may not; there's really
no way to know.)

> I recall reading that CentOS is having trouble keeping up with the
> latest RHEL. Is this currently a problem? Any input on whether future
> updates will be delayed as well?

CentOS 5.6 was released several months after RHEL 5.6, and CentOS 6
still hasn't been released. (RHEL 6.1 was just recently released.)

As they say in the investment business, "past performance is no
guarantee of future results." I don't think anyone can really say
with confidence what the future holds for any of the distributions
that are derived from RHEL sources.

(For the sake of full disclosure, I do work for Red Hat. Hopefully,
everything I've written above is relatively uncontroversial.)

James McKenzie 06-06-2011 03:45 AM

On 6/5/11 8:11 PM, Ian Pilcher wrote:
> On 06/05/2011 07:42 PM, Alex wrote:
>> I recall reading that CentOS is having trouble keeping up with the
>> latest RHEL. Is this currently a problem? Any input on whether future
>> updates will be delayed as well?
> CentOS 5.6 was released several months after RHEL 5.6, and CentOS 6
> still hasn't been released. (RHEL 6.1 was just recently released.)
>
> As they say in the investment business, "past performance is no
> guarantee of future results." I don't think anyone can really say
> with confidence what the future holds for any of the distributions
> that are derived from RHEL sources.
>
> (For the sake of full disclosure, I do work for Red Hat. Hopefully,
> everything I've written above is relatively uncontroversial.)

The problem with CentOS updating to RHEL 6.x releases is the amount of
imbedded RH information that they have to remove, by law. Once that is
complete, there should be a CentOS 6.x release. I will not blame RedHat
for this, the codebase is different and more files means more stuff to
remove/replace.

BTW, I do work with RHEL 5.5/5.6 at my workplace and we are looking to
move to 6.x as soon as it is approved.

James McKenzie

Rahul Sundaram 06-06-2011 03:55 AM

On 06/06/2011 09:15 AM, James McKenzie wrote:
> The problem with CentOS updating to RHEL 6.x releases is the amount of
> imbedded RH information that they have to remove, by law. Once that is
> complete, there should be a CentOS 6.x release. I will not blame RedHat
> for this, the codebase is different and more files means more stuff to
> remove/replace.

I have heard this used as a reason but it doesn't appear to be true.
You can talk to the CentOS or Scientific Linux developers. This isn't a
major part of their work. Trademarks and typically just part of
redhat-logos and a few other packages and Red Hat has gone out of their
way over time to make this process easier. Much of their work is
rebuilding SRPMS (figuring out what specific version dependencies need
to be in the chroot) and testing it. They don't replace or remove files
except for maybe a dozen packages.

Rahul