Old 06-05-2011, 09:15 PM
"Julian C. Dunn"

Default GNOME Audio Profiles missing

Hi all,

I'm on Fedora 15 and trying to rip a CD using CD Extractor (Sound
Juicer). Somewhere along the way, my default audio profiles have
gotten hosed (see attached screenshot).

How do I restore the out-of-the-box default profiles?

- Julian

Old 06-06-2011, 03:35 PM
"pierre lesage [free]"

Hi,

one way is to add the profiles by hand. launch sound juicer ; menu
edit ; click preferences then "edit profiles" then click new ; give the
profile its name ; click create ; select it ; click edit and modify
accordingly (see what's next).

here fields are separated by a newline ; meaning first field is profile
name, second is description, third is gstreamer pipeline and fourth is
file extension. as you will have guessed the key one is gstreamer
pipeline. don't forget to tick "Active?" at the end.

a couple newlines denotes a new profile. here are the default profiles...

CD Quality, AAC
Used for converting to CD-quality audio, but with the lossy AAC codec.
Use this for preparing files for copying to devices that only support
the AAC codec. Note that using this format may be illegal in your
jurisdiction; contact your lawyer for advice.
audio/x-raw-int,rate=44100,channels=2 ! faac profile=2 ! ffmux_mp4
m4a

CD Quality, Lossless
Used for converting to CD-quality audio, but with a lossless compression
codec. Use this if you later want to edit the file or burn it to CD.
audio/x-raw-int,rate=44100,channels=2 ! flacenc name=enc
flac

CD Quality, Lossy
Used for converting to CD-quality audio, but with a lossy compression
codec. Use this for CD extraction and radio recordings.
audio/x-raw-float,rate=44100,channels=2 ! vorbisenc name=enc quality=0.5
! oggmux
ogg

CD Quality, MP2
Used for converting to CD-quality audio, but with the lossy MP2 codec.
Use this for preparing files for copying to devices that only support
the MP2 codec. Note that using this format may be illegal in your
jurisdiction; contact your lawyer for advice.
audio/x-raw-int,rate=44100,channels=2 ! twolame name=enc mode=0
bitrate=192 ! id3v2mux
mp2

CD Quality, MP3
Used for converting to CD-quality audio, but with the lossy MP3 codec.
Use this for preparing files for copying to devices that only support
the MP3 codec. Note that using this format may be illegal in your
jurisdiction; contact your lawyer for advice.
audio/x-raw-int,rate=44100,channels=2 ! lamemp3enc name=enc target=0
quality=6 ! xingmux ! id3v2mux
mp3

Voice, Lossless
Used for converting to lossless voice-quality audio. Use this for
recording and editing speech.
audio/x-raw-int,rate=22050,channels=1 ! wavenc name=enc
wav

Voice, Lossy
Used for converting to lossy voice-quality audio. Use this for recording
speech that doesn't need to be edited.
audio/x-raw-int,rate=32000,channels=1 ! speexenc name=enc ! oggmux
spx

hope this helps.

pierre
---

Old 06-06-2011, 03:57 PM
Steven Stern

On 06/06/2011 10:35 AM, pierre lesage [free] wrote:
> Hi,
>

> one way is to add the profiles by hand. launch sound juicer ; menu
> edit ; click preferences then "edit profiles" then click new ; give the
> profile its name ; click create ; select it ; click edit and modify
> accordingly (see what's next).

[snip]

> pierre
> ---
>

> On 06/05/2011 11:15 PM, Julian C. Dunn wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm on Fedora 15 and trying to rip a CD using CD Extractor (Sound
>> Juicer). Somewhere along the way, my default audio profiles have
>> gotten hosed (see attached screenshot).
>>
>> How do I restore the out-of-the-box default profiles?
>>
>> - Julian

Thanks for the profiles!

Where do the default profiles come from? When I did a clean F15
install, there were none. Is there a package that includes them?

--
-- Steve

Old 06-06-2011, 05:47 PM
"Julian C. Dunn"

On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 11:57 AM, Steven Stern
<subscribed-lists@sterndata.com> wrote:

>> On 06/05/2011 11:15 PM, Julian C. Dunn wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I'm on Fedora 15 and trying to rip a CD using CD Extractor (Sound
>>> Juicer). Somewhere along the way, my default audio profiles have
>>> gotten hosed (see attached screenshot).
>>>
>>> How do I restore the out-of-the-box default profiles?
>>>
>>> - Julian
>>

> Thanks for the profiles!
>
> Where do the default profiles come from? *When I did a clean F15
> install, there were none. *Is there a package that includes them?

Hi folks,

After substantial digging I fixed this problem. To answer Steven's
question, the default profiles are in:

/etc/gconf/schemas/gnome-media-profiles.schemas

By reinstalling the libgnome-media-profiles-3.0.0-1.fc15.x86_64 (and
then logging out & logging back in), my out-of-the-box audio profiles
were back. Looks like I had a corruption somewhere in my ~/.gconf.

- Julian