Old 06-05-2011, 05:59 PM
Tom Horsley

Default Why is xfconfd running?

I just switched my system to use fedora 15 by default
with my custom X session that runs fvwm and (mostly) saves
me from the incessant changes of gnome and kde.

Almost as soon as I'd started my first login session
I got a popup identifying itself as some xfce program
and telling me updates were available.

Running ps, I find I'm running /usr/lib64/xfce4/xfconf/xfconfd,
which I certainly didn't start with any kind of deliberate
action. I find a org.xfce.Xfconf.service file defined
among the /usr/share/dbus-1/services/, but I thought that
stuff only started on request (there are about 90 services
defined in there, and xfconfd is the only one I find running).

Who the devil would have requested that this service start?

Old 06-08-2011, 02:29 PM
Kevin Fenzi

On Sun, 5 Jun 2011 13:59:39 -0400
Tom Horsley <horsley1953@gmail.com> wrote:

> I just switched my system to use fedora 15 by default
> with my custom X session that runs fvwm and (mostly) saves
> me from the incessant changes of gnome and kde.
>
> Almost as soon as I'd started my first login session
> I got a popup identifying itself as some xfce program
> and telling me updates were available.
>
> Running ps, I find I'm running /usr/lib64/xfce4/xfconf/xfconfd,
> which I certainly didn't start with any kind of deliberate
> action. I find a org.xfce.Xfconf.service file defined
> among the /usr/share/dbus-1/services/, but I thought that
> stuff only started on request (there are about 90 services
> defined in there, and xfconfd is the only one I find running).
>
> Who the devil would have requested that this service start?

Likely it was launched when you ran some Xfce related app/applet that
wanted to save or check settings stored in xfconf.

It should exit when idle or not queried in a while...

kevin

Old 06-08-2011, 02:29 PM
Kevin Fenzi

Old 06-16-2011, 10:47 PM
Christoph Wickert

Am Sonntag, den 05.06.2011, 13:59 -0400 schrieb Tom Horsley:
> I just switched my system to use fedora 15 by default
> with my custom X session that runs fvwm and (mostly) saves
> me from the incessant changes of gnome and kde.
>
> Almost as soon as I'd started my first login session
> I got a popup identifying itself as some xfce program
> and telling me updates were available.
>
> Running ps, I find I'm running /usr/lib64/xfce4/xfconf/xfconfd,
> which I certainly didn't start with any kind of deliberate
> action. I find a org.xfce.Xfconf.service file defined
> among the /usr/share/dbus-1/services/, but I thought that
> stuff only started on request (there are about 90 services
> defined in there, and xfconfd is the only one I find running).
>
> Who the devil would have requested that this service start?

xfce4-notifyd

it gets installed if something needs a notification-daemon (e.g.
firefox).

Regards,
Christoph