Old 06-04-2011, 09:02 PM
Zoltan Hoppar

Default Fedora SOHO server

Hi,

I have thought big, and I would like to find an solution if there is
any. Btw I'm not an expert in server services, but I really would like
to experiment out this - and I think I have good reason for it. I
don't want to sell freely my private stuff on google services, and
give the possibility to anybody if it has the lust crack it. That's
why I have also decided that I never will purchase an android phone,
but I would like to support such free services that makes for me
possible to keep my freedom and privacy. So - what I really would like
to know, if I set up an small home server - witch components can be
that I could base for me as free services, and what kind of parameters
must have to cover the following:

I would like to pick Fedora 14 and I would like to have together on one machine
- Mail server
- NAS server (maybe openfiler)
- Media server (maybe sockso fits here - so I could stream my music)
- Office server (maybe Feng office)
- Dropbox replacement (maybe SparkleShare - I's cool, I have made the
HU translation, whohoo!)
- NFS server (Fedora can do this)
- SSH (cloud services) - openssh-server?
- Proxy (maybe Squid)
- LDAP - ?
- Cooperation: I think the VERY best option could be here Citadel
(http://www.citadel.org/doku.php), and not only for me else generally
for Fedora too maybe (it is infinitely scalable (the database can hold
up to 256 Terabytes of data) and can be configured to work with other
Citadel servers in different geographic locations)
- as second option Collanos can be one plus....

So, I have begun the research, and already found some good candidate
for this project, but still no clue what kind of machine could serve
me out here silently...
If you have good advice for this, please mail me, and maybe we could
have our new infra cornerstone node for Fedora ...

Thanks,

Zoltan

--
PGP:* 06853DF7

Old 06-05-2011, 04:08 PM
Dave Ihnat

On Sat, Jun 04, 2011 at 11:02:52PM +0200, Zoltan Hoppar wrote:
> That's why I have also decided that I never will purchase an android phone,

Just a side comment--I, also, refuse to give Google my data. But I run an
Android phone with all-local archiving and backup, using my own mail
server. You don't have to drink the cool-aid to use the pitcher.

> I would like to pick Fedora 14 and I would like to have together on
> one machine...

Again, and knowing this is the Fedora group, I would suggest you consider
another distribution for a stable server.

Fedora is bleedin' edge. It doesn't have a long-term support version, and
you're going to be looking at a semi-major evolution in migrating the
system on a production server on a regular basis as new releases come out.
Most of the services you want to run evolve more slowly than that.

Note that I'm *not* saying it won't work, and work well; it's purely a
question of how much time and effort you want to put into maintaining
your production server's up-to-date status.

CentOS isn't as exciting or as current as Fedora, but it is stable and
works well in production. Even Ubuntu LTS will fill that bill nicely.

You might consider keeping your production server on an LTS distro, and
setting up an experimental box, or running your workstation on Fedora where
you can experiment to your hearts' content.

Cheers,
--
Dave Ihnat
dihnat@dminet.com

Old 06-05-2011, 05:58 PM
Athmane Madjoudj

On 06/04/2011 08:02 PM, Zoltan Hoppar wrote:
> Hi,
...SNIP...

Slightly OT, but try one of this distro:

Amahi (Fedora based): http://www.amahi.org/
ClearOS (CentOS/RHEL based): http://www.clearfoundation.com/

HTH

--
Athmane Madjoudj

Old 06-06-2011, 04:27 AM
Javier Perez

>>On Sun, Jun 5, 2011 at 11:08 AM, Dave Ihnat <dihnat@dminet.com> wrote:
>On Sat, Jun 04, 2011 at 11:02:52PM +0200, Zoltan Hoppar wrote:

>> That's why I have also decided that I never will purchase an android phone,

>Just a side comment--I, also, refuse to give Google my data. *But I run an

>Android phone with all-local archiving and backup, using my own mail

>server. *You don't have to drink the cool-aid to use the pitcher.

Hi
Sorry to hijack the thread, but is this possible?
I was thinking of an android phone for some time, but my privacy fears kept me away. Specially after the Location Based Services fiasco (where Apple decided to drop it somehow but Google said they would keep on collecting that info).

--
------------------------------
*/\_/**

* m m** * * Pepebuho watches
* * * * * ** ** from his high perch.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:33 AM
Craig White

On Sun, 2011-06-05 at 23:27 -0500, Javier Perez wrote:
> >>On Sun, Jun 5, 2011 at 11:08 AM, Dave Ihnat <dihnat@dminet.com>
> wrote:
> >On Sat, Jun 04, 2011 at 11:02:52PM +0200, Zoltan Hoppar wrote:
> >> That's why I have also decided that I never will purchase an
> android phone,
>

> >Just a side comment--I, also, refuse to give Google my data. But I
> run an
> >Android phone with all-local archiving and backup, using my own mail
> >server. You don't have to drink the cool-aid to use the pitcher.
>

> Hi
> Sorry to hijack the thread, but is this possible?
> I was thinking of an android phone for some time, but my privacy fears
> kept me away. Specially after the Location Based Services fiasco
> (where Apple decided to drop it somehow but Google said they would
> keep on collecting that info).
----
I have a Motorola DroidX with a car dock and get live traffic updates
while I am driving. It didn't take a long to figure out why Google
processes GPS data in real time from as many people as possible.

I can't see any value that Apple has provided to their users by
collecting GPS data but clearly Google does provide substantial benefit.
Just add the traffic layer in Google maps in any large city. I don't
recall Apple providing any reasons for their data collections.

It's not really KoolAide and yes, you don't have to drink.

Craig

believed to be clean.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:23 PM
Lucélio Gomes de Freitas

Hi Zoltan Hoppar,

I have a similar problem. I'm looking for a good solution(that works
well).
As soon as you decide/find a solution, please post your experience
here. ok?

Thanks,

Em 04-06-2011 18:02, Zoltan Hoppar escreveu:
> Hi,
>
> I have thought big, and I would like to find an solution if there is
> any. Btw I'm not an expert in server services, but I really would like
> to experiment out this - and I think I have good reason for it. I
> don't want to sell freely my private stuff on google services, and
> give the possibility to anybody if it has the lust crack it. That's
> why I have also decided that I never will purchase an android phone,
> but I would like to support such free services that makes for me
> possible to keep my freedom and privacy. So - what I really would like
> to know, if I set up an small home server - witch components can be
> that I could base for me as free services, and what kind of parameters
> must have to cover the following:
>
> I would like to pick Fedora 14 and I would like to have together on one
machine
> - Mail server
> - NAS server (maybe openfiler)
> - Media server (maybe sockso fits here - so I could stream my music)
> - Office server (maybe Feng office)
> - Dropbox replacement (maybe SparkleShare - I's cool, I have made the
> HU translation, whohoo!)
> - NFS server (Fedora can do this)
> - SSH (cloud services) - openssh-server?
> - Proxy (maybe Squid)
> - LDAP - ?
> - Cooperation: I think the VERY best option could be here Citadel
> (http://www.citadel.org/doku.php), and not only for me else generally
> for Fedora too maybe (it is infinitely scalable (the database can hold
> up to 256 Terabytes of data) and can be configured to work with other
> Citadel servers in different geographic locations)
> - as second option Collanos can be one plus....
>

> So, I have begun the research, and already found some good candidate
> for this project, but still no clue what kind of machine could serve
> me out here silently...
> If you have good advice for this, please mail me, and maybe we could
> have our new infra cornerstone node for Fedora ...
>
> Thanks,
>
> Zoltan

- --
Lucélio Gomes de Freitas