Old 06-05-2011, 01:46 PM
Patrick Oltmann

Default KVM/qemu USB pass-through not working for Win7 guest

Hy there

I'm running a KVM/qemu virtual machine with Win7 as a guest and need a USB
device (Smartcard reader w/ PIN pad) to be passed through into that virtual
machine. Therefore I use the "-device usb-host, hostbus=X, hostaddr=Y,
id=hostdev0" command line parameter. However, the device does not show up in
the Win7 guest, but does appear when do the same with a Linux guest system
(which doesn't make much sense to me since KVM should be a full-virtualized
system). Any ideas on how to solve this?

The host system is a Xeon W3680 running F15 64-bit:
kernel.x86_64 (2.6.38.6-27.fc15)
qemu.x86_64 (0.14.0-7.fc15)
libvirt.x86_64 (0.8.8-4.fc15)
virt-manager.noarch (0.8.7-4.fc15)

Thanks in advance!

Patrick

Old 06-05-2011, 02:11 PM
solarflow99

I'm running a KVM/qemu virtual machine with Win7 as a guest and need a USB

device (Smartcard reader w/ PIN pad) to be passed through into that virtual

machine. Therefore I use the "-device usb-host, hostbus=X, hostaddr=Y,

id=hostdev0" command line parameter. However, the device does not show up in

the Win7 guest, but does appear when do the same with a Linux guest system

(which doesn't make much sense to me since KVM should be a full-virtualized

system). Any ideas on how to solve this?

its things like this, and trying to setup bridged networking, etc. that still makes virtualbox better to use. Its a shame