Old 06-05-2011, 08:16 AM
david grant

Default What did I do wrong?

I know its frowned upon to complain about not getting responses on
forums but I am mystified that I didn't get a single response to my post
below. I have a degree of visual impairment but I cannot believe that I
am the only potential user of Gnome 3 who would like an answer.
So I resorted to classical marketing techniques to get this post read by
a few people and I will get responses, some of which may be kind I only
want a yes or no answer!!

F15, Gnome 3 and Mouse Pointer Size

Is there a way of increasing the pointer size, an option that is in
Gnome2? I have googled away but cannot find any reference to such an
option. Either I have missed something simple or the option has been
removed.

David

Old 06-05-2011, 10:13 AM
Ian Malone

On 5 June 2011 09:16, david grant <dg@david-grant.com> wrote:
> I know its frowned upon to complain about not getting responses on
> forums but I am mystified that I didn't get a single response to my post
> below. I have a degree of visual impairment but I cannot believe that I
> am the only potential user of Gnome 3 who would like an answer.
> So I resorted to classical marketing techniques to get this post read by
> a few people and I will get responses, some of which may be kind I only
> want a yes or no answer!!

Generally I've found when my posts go unanswered it's because no-one
has an idea. Maybe ask at the Gnome list
http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gnome-list ?

--
imalone

Old 06-05-2011, 05:20 PM
James McKenzie

On 6/5/11, david grant <dg@david-grant.com> wrote:

> F15, Gnome 3 and Mouse Pointer Size
>
> Is there a way of increasing the pointer size, an option that is in
> Gnome2? I have googled away but cannot find any reference to such an
> option. Either I have missed something simple or the option has been
> removed.

You realistically should be asking these questions AS WELL AS EVERYONE
ELSE on a Gnome 3 forum. All Fedora does is add this to the product
package as a convenience (and I really don't find it that convenient
when the download is 2+GB. Something around a single CD would be a
real great release package. If I want Gnome 3, I'll look for it and
get it.

James McKenzie

Old 06-05-2011, 05:52 PM
JB

James McKenzie <jjmckenzie51 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> On 6/5/11, david grant <dg <at> david-grant.com> wrote:
>
> > F15, Gnome 3 and Mouse Pointer Size
> You realistically should be asking these questions AS WELL AS EVERYONE
> ELSE on a Gnome 3 forum. All Fedora does is add this to the product
> package as a convenience (and I really don't find it that convenient
> when the download is 2+GB. Something around a single CD would be a
> real great release package. If I want Gnome 3, I'll look for it and
> get it.
>
> James McKenzie

Well, it looks like you are firmly in the non-GNOME 3 camp :-)

Systemd ? It looks like we will have UNIX-like Fedora back again :-)

JB

Old 06-05-2011, 05:58 PM
James McKenzie

On 6/5/11 10:52 AM, JB wrote:
> James McKenzie<jjmckenzie51<at> gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On 6/5/11, david grant<dg<at> david-grant.com> wrote:
>>
>>> F15, Gnome 3 and Mouse Pointer Size
>> You realistically should be asking these questions AS WELL AS EVERYONE
>> ELSE on a Gnome 3 forum. All Fedora does is add this to the product
>> package as a convenience (and I really don't find it that convenient
>> when the download is 2+GB. Something around a single CD would be a
>> real great release package. If I want Gnome 3, I'll look for it and
>> get it.
>>
>> James McKenzie
> Well, it looks like you are firmly in the non-GNOME 3 camp :-)
I'm firmly in the 'If you want a GUI, go and get it' camp. If I wanted
Windows, I would buy it.
> Systemd ? It looks like we will have UNIX-like Fedora back again :-)
Good. There's been that talk for a while...

James McKenzie
(I've never met a CLI I don't like.)

Old 06-05-2011, 06:19 PM
JB

James McKenzie <jjmckenzie51 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> > Well, it looks like you are firmly in the non-GNOME 3 camp
> I'm firmly in the 'If you want a GUI, go and get it' camp. If I wanted
> Windows, I would buy it.
> > Systemd ? It looks like we will have UNIX-like Fedora back again
> Good. There's been that talk for a while...
>
> James McKenzie
> (I've never met a CLI I don't like.)

The two babies were delivered.

But that was not enuf - post factum they even told us that they wanted them to
be dependent, which amounted to twins desired.

Now they are both on life support :-)

"What did I do wrong ?". Plenty ...

JB

Old 06-05-2011, 09:57 PM
James McKenzie

On 6/5/11 11:19 AM, JB wrote:
> James McKenzie<jjmckenzie51<at> gmail.com> writes:

>>> Well, it looks like you are firmly in the non-GNOME 3 camp
>> I'm firmly in the 'If you want a GUI, go and get it' camp. If I wanted
>> Windows, I would buy it.
>>> Systemd ? It looks like we will have UNIX-like Fedora back again
>> Good. There's been that talk for a while...
>>
>> James McKenzie
>> (I've never met a CLI I don't like.)
>>
> The two babies were delivered.
>
> But that was not enuf - post factum they even told us that they wanted them to
> be dependent, which amounted to twins desired.
>
> Now they are both on life support :-)
>
> "What did I do wrong ?". Plenty ...
I agree with the analogy, but there are more than two babies and only
the two oldest and biggest ones are on life support (Gnome and KDE).
The other children like XFDE are gaining weight because their parents
are feeding them well.

In the attempt to gain users, you actually lost quite a few. Not
explaining why changes are being made in a user-centric universe is
bad. Doing so AFTER said users say they don't want the changes is
asinine. However, we all know the results. I've heard of no thundering
requests for change from Windows to Linux, at least not yet.

James McKenzie