Old 06-05-2011, 06:52 AM
Leonid Podolny

Default Timeout for service shutdown in legacy services

Hi,
When systemd tries to shutdown a service, after a certain timeout, it
just kills all the processes belonging to this service. There is a
configuration option that allows to change that timeout. However, it
is available only for the new systemd formatI and not for the "legacy"
(i.e. /etc/init.d/*) services.

The full story goes like this: transmission-daemon has an
uncharacteristically long shutdown time. Every time the service goes
down, systemd thinks that it is unresponsive and kills it. It messes
up the metadata of the seeding (i.e. fully downloaded) torrents and
when I bring the daemon back up, it thinks that it needs to
re-download a torrent, even though the actual data is there. I have to
manually select "Verify the local data" every time I start the daemon
and it is incredibly annoying.

Old 06-05-2011, 02:26 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Sun, 2011-06-05 at 09:52 +0300, Leonid Podolny wrote:
> Hi,
> When systemd tries to shutdown a service, after a certain timeout, it
> just kills all the processes belonging to this service. There is a
> configuration option that allows to change that timeout. However, it
> is available only for the new systemd formatI and not for the "legacy"
> (i.e. /etc/init.d/*) services.
>
> The full story goes like this: transmission-daemon has an
> uncharacteristically long shutdown time. Every time the service goes
> down, systemd thinks that it is unresponsive and kills it. It messes
> up the metadata of the seeding (i.e. fully downloaded) torrents and
> when I bring the daemon back up, it thinks that it needs to
> re-download a torrent, even though the actual data is there. I have to
> manually select "Verify the local data" every time I start the daemon
> and it is incredibly annoying.

I've had a somewhat similar experience with Qbittorrent, but it dates
from F14 and so has nothing to do with systemd. The author tells me that
the latest QBT fixes it (version 8, now in updates-testing). IMHO it's
the responsibility of the app to store persistent data safely in
anticipation of sudden exits or crashes, so I don't know that extending
the timeout is really a solution.

poc

Old 06-17-2011, 03:32 PM
Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu

On Sun, 2011-06-05 at 09:52 +0300, Leonid Podolny wrote:
> The full story goes like this: transmission-daemon has an
> uncharacteristically long shutdown time. Every time the service goes
> down, systemd thinks that it is unresponsive and kills it. It messes
> up the metadata of the seeding (i.e. fully downloaded) torrents and
> when I bring the daemon back up, it thinks that it needs to
> re-download a torrent, even though the actual data is there. I have to
> manually select "Verify the local data" every time I start the daemon
> and it is incredibly annoying.

Maybe you can add the verify step to the transmission-daemon init
script. Or, better, you could create a wrapper script that starts the
daemon and then does the verify.

I know, still shitty.

Also, this sucks because I just started using transmission-daemon
instead of the GTK version in F12, and I've become rather fond of it! I
was planning on setting it up on F15. Fail.

Regards,

Ranbir

--
Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu
Linux 2.6.32.26-175.fc12.x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux