Old 06-05-2011, 02:46 AM
Michael Wiktowy

Default No Minimize Button

On Sat, Jun 4, 2011 at 11:23 PM, Mike Flannigan <mikeflan@att.net> wrote:

> I've installed Fedora 15 64 bit on my machine.
> I am brand new to Fedora.
>
> I notice that all my windows have the "X" for closing
> the window in the upper right, but no minimize or
> restore button. *From my internet searching I suspect
> this is very unusual. *Has anybody heard of this or
> do you know how to fix it?
>
> Here is an example of what I am talking about:
> http://www.mflan.com/temp/minimize.jpg
>

> If I right click on the header bar I get Minimize -
> Maximize - Move - Resize - etc in a selection box.
> That is the only way I know of to minimize my
> windows.

It was a design decision in Gnome 3 (aka Gnome Shell) that involves
some controversy. There are many many threads filled with lots of
debate about it. If you want to know more, mine the mailing list
archives. There are substitute methods to work with the desktop that
require some adaptation of your work-flow (dragging windows the the
edges of the screen, using overview mode with the hot corner,
abandoning a desktop background with stuff on it).

But the long and short of it is, if you want the buttons (and more)
back, just install gnome-tweak-tool and pick the right options to
re-enable them.

/Mike

Old 06-05-2011, 02:50 AM
Genes MailLists

On 06/04/2011 10:46 PM, Michael Wiktowy wrote:

> But the long and short of it is, if you want the buttons (and more)
> back, just install gnome-tweak-tool and pick the right options to
> re-enable them.

Or just switch to KDE or xfce or lxde .. all of which have the button
with no fuss or muss .. :-)

KDE is looking remarkable decent I must say ... I haven't looked at KDE
for years .. it is very polished and am delighted to say quite
configurable too :-)

The learning curve from Gnome-2 was smallish but not zero ... its like
Gnome 3 only cleaner, far more mature and way more configurable.

gene

Old 06-05-2011, 01:21 PM
Mike Flannigan

It was a design decision in Gnome 3 (aka Gnome Shell) that involves
some controversy. There are many many threads filled with lots of
debate about it. If you want to know more, mine the mailing list
archives. There are substitute methods to work with the desktop that
require some adaptation of your work-flow (dragging windows the the
edges of the screen, using overview mode with the hot corner,
abandoning a desktop background with stuff on it).

But the long and short of it is, if you want the buttons (and more)
back, just install gnome-tweak-tool and pick the right options to
re-enable them.

/Mike

Thank you.* It worked well.

I've been using the list archives for almost

all my troubleshooting.* I am very interested

in seeing that discussion, but I have not

been able to find it yet.* Still looking.

From my perspective I can't imagine anybody

thinking that is a good idea.

http://marc.info/?l=fedora-list&w=4&r=2&s=Gnome+3&q=b

Mike

Old 07-06-2011, 10:41 PM
Matias Kreder

On Sun, Jun 5, 2011 at 10:21 AM, Mike Flannigan <mikeflan@att.net> wrote:

> On 6/5/2011 1:52 AM, users-request@lists.fedoraproject.org wrote:
>
> It was a design decision in Gnome 3 (aka Gnome Shell) that involves
> some controversy. There are many many threads filled with lots of
> debate about it. If you want to know more, mine the mailing list
> archives. There are substitute methods to work with the desktop that
> require some adaptation of your work-flow (dragging windows the the
> edges of the screen, using overview mode with the hot corner,
> abandoning a desktop background with stuff on it).
>
> But the long and short of it is, if you want the buttons (and more)
> back, just install gnome-tweak-tool and pick the right options to
> re-enable them.
>
> /Mike
>

> Thank you.* It worked well.
>
> I've been using the list archives for almost
> all my troubleshooting.* I am very interested
> in seeing that discussion, but I have not
> been able to find it yet.* Still looking.
> From my perspective I can't imagine anybody
> thinking that is a good idea.
>
> http://marc.info/?l=fedora-list&w=4&r=2&s=Gnome+3&q=b
>

> Mike

How we can take this discussion further? No minimize button is not the
only problem.
* No desktop icons
* No right click on desktop to set wallpaper
* Suspend as default option.
* Alt+tab with grouped windows take a long time, if I have to switch
between windows rapidly, I have to do alt+tab then down arrow, then
right or left arrow.
* And many others...

So many changes! I know that we should be positive and keep improving
but my concern is that the average user needs this things and in order
to enable them they need to install gconf-editor or other things that
require some knowledge.

I tried and tried, then I switched to KDE which I still don't like it.
I know that I can try XFCE or LXDE but I'm a GNOME2 fan.

Matias

Old 07-07-2011, 12:44 AM
Marko Vojinovic

On Wednesday 06 July 2011 23:41:25 Matias Kreder wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 5, 2011 at 10:21 AM, Mike Flannigan <mikeflan@att.net> wrote:
> > On 6/5/2011 1:52 AM, users-request@lists.fedoraproject.org wrote:
> > It was a design decision in Gnome 3 (aka Gnome Shell) that involves
> > some controversy. There are many many threads filled with lots of
> > debate about it. If you want to know more, mine the mailing list
> > archives. There are substitute methods to work with the desktop that
> > require some adaptation of your work-flow (dragging windows the the
> > edges of the screen, using overview mode with the hot corner,
> > abandoning a desktop background with stuff on it).
>
> How we can take this discussion further? No minimize button is not the
> only problem.

It's not a problem at all, it is a feature, didn't you know? ;-)

> * No desktop icons

This is a feature.

> * No right click on desktop to set wallpaper

This is a feature.

> * Suspend as default option.

This is a feature.

> * Alt+tab with grouped windows take a long time, if I have to switch
> between windows rapidly, I have to do alt+tab then down arrow, then
> right or left arrow.

Oh, and this is a particularly good feature! ;-)

> * And many others...

Well, as you can see, Gnome 3 is full of new features! Doesn't everybody enjoy
them so much, you just can't help loving such a feature-full DE, right? ;-)

> So many changes! I know that we should be positive and keep improving
> but my concern is that the average user needs this things and in order
> to enable them they need to install gconf-editor or other things that
> require some knowledge.
>
> I tried and tried, then I switched to KDE which I still don't like it.
> I know that I can try XFCE or LXDE but I'm a GNOME2 fan.

There will be no more Gnome 2. You have to switch to another DE, and relearn
it from scratch, including the appropriate adjustment of your usual workflow.
Your main choices for the new DE are: KDE, XFCE, LXDE and Gnome 3.

As I understand, switching from Gnome 2 to Gnome 3 is as painful as switching
from Gnome 2 to KDE or any other DE. The only thing that v3 has in common with
v2 is the name "Gnome" attached to it (roughly speaking), but in general it is
a completely different and new DE.

So Gnome 2 is gone, and you are essentially forced to switch. Choose your new
DE wisely... ;-)

Best, :-)
Marko

P.S. I'm a happy long-term KDE user, who installed Gnome 3 just to see what
all the fuss is about. And then I saw... My condolences to everyone who is
still using it. ;-)

Old 07-07-2011, 12:57 AM
Joe Zeff

On 07/06/2011 05:44 PM, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> There will be no more Gnome 2. You have to switch to another DE, and relearn
> it from scratch, including the appropriate adjustment of your usual workflow.
> Your main choices for the new DE are: KDE, XFCE, LXDE and Gnome 3.

I went with XFCE, and Compiz. (Not that I had to set it that way, XFCE
just used it when it found that that's what I'd been using with Gnome.)
Once I got my icons back in the order and position that I had before,
there was almost no learning curve, no "adjusting my work flow." Almost
everything works just like it did before, and I've found replacements
for the one or two things that Just Don't Work.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:55 AM

On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 10:57 AM, Joe Zeff <joe@zeff.us> wrote:
> On 07/06/2011 05:44 PM, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
>> There will be no more Gnome 2. You have to switch to another DE, and relearn
>> it from scratch, including the appropriate adjustment of your usual workflow.
>> Your main choices for the new DE are: KDE, XFCE, LXDE and Gnome 3.
>
> I went with XFCE, and Compiz. *(Not that I had to set it that way, XFCE
> just used it when it found that that's what I'd been using with Gnome.)
> *Once I got my icons back in the order and position that I had before,
> there was almost no learning curve, no "adjusting my work flow." *Almost
> everything works just like it did before, and I've found replacements
> for the one or two things that Just Don't Work.
> --

check out here

http://linuxishbell.wordpress.com/2011/06/15/bring-back-missing-functionality-in-gnome-3-0/

you can bring some functionalities back.

> users mailing list
> users@lists.fedoraproject.org

* *v
*/( $ ) Linux Toys
* ^ * ^ *http://linuxishbell.wordpress.com/

Old 07-07-2011, 11:51 AM
"Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak"

>> But the long and short of it is, if you want the buttons (and more)
>> back, just install gnome-tweak-tool and pick the right options to
>> re-enable them.
>>
>> I've been using the list archives for almost
>> all my troubleshooting.� I am very interested
>> in seeing that discussion, but I have not
>> been able to find it yet.� Still looking.
>> From my perspective I can't imagine anybody
>> thinking that is a good idea.

I originally thought omitting the minimize button was crazy, but after
using gnome3 for a month or so, I don't miss it at all. gnome3 has a
different way of doing things; give it time. If you can "swoosh" into
the activities area to rapidly select a different window, having a
minimize button doesn't really make sense (or at least, it is redundant
- and gnome has always opted for simplification over extra flexibility).

I also originally hated the default fonts, but I like them now - but I
had to enable "Large Text" in the Accessibility button at the top.

I'm not sure about the task-switching method, though. I'm having a hard
time using the alt+tab / alt+backtick combo naturally. I think it could
be improved.

My 2 cents.

- Mike

Old 07-07-2011, 11:51 AM
"Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak"

Old 07-07-2011, 04:17 PM
Ian Malone

On 7 July 2011 12:51, Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak <mjc@avtechpulse.com> wrote:
>>> But the long and short of it is, if you want the buttons (and more)
>>> back, just install gnome-tweak-tool and pick the right options to
>>> re-enable them.
>>>
>>> I've been using the list archives for almost
>>> all my troubleshooting.� I am very interested
>>> in seeing that discussion, but I have not
>>> been able to find it yet.� Still looking.
>>> *From my perspective I can't imagine anybody
>>> thinking that is a good idea.
>
> I originally thought omitting the minimize button was crazy, but after
> using gnome3 for a month or so, I don't miss it at all. gnome3 has a
> different way of doing things; give it time. If you can "swoosh" into
> the activities area to rapidly select a different window, having a
> minimize button doesn't really make sense (or at least, it is redundant
> - and gnome has always opted for simplification over extra flexibility).

My take on this is there's a finite amount of screen space and I quite
often have a set of windows open. If for some reason I need a large or
maximised one (and a large one is more problematic in this respect)
then it will obscure a 'shared space' layout of windows. To get that
open set of windows back you need to either:
1. Bring them all back one at a time (either activity window or
alt-tab them back)
or
2. Move the obscuring window to a new workspace. But this might not be
the correct place for it; you may be using it with the current
workspace, but not able to effectively share the space between this
and the other windows.

Also the other need for minimisation to prevent someone seeing what
you're working on is not at all addressed. Possiblities: work
involving confidential information, buying presents, demonstrating to
someone that you're giving them your attention/stopping windows
distracting people during conversaitons. While there's no longer a
panel that things get minimised to, the 'minimise' button is
effectively a hide-window operation that has several roles that aren't
really provided in Gnome3. Unless you put it back of course.

--
imalone