FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 06-05-2011, 02:16 AM
Joe Zeff
 
Default Can't uninstall PackageKit without uninstalling gnome-shell, gdm, etc?

On 06/04/2011 05:16 PM, H Xu wrote:
> I didn't use PackageKit when I was using Fedora 14. Now it seems that I
> can't uninstall PackageKit without uninstalling those packages. Is this
> a package bug? Thanks.

There are some packages that are listed as dependencies by a large
number of others, sometimes for no apparent reason. As an example, try
removing evolution and see what some of the weird things yum wants to
take out along with it.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 06-05-2011, 02:49 AM
Rahul Sundaram
 
Default Can't uninstall PackageKit without uninstalling gnome-shell, gdm, etc?

On 06/05/2011 07:46 AM, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 06/04/2011 05:16 PM, H Xu wrote:
>> I didn't use PackageKit when I was using Fedora 14. Now it seems that I
>> can't uninstall PackageKit without uninstalling those packages. Is this
>> a package bug? Thanks.

No. More software components now use PackageKit as a framework. If you
don't like the GUI, just remove gnome-packagekit and leave the
framework in place. repoquery is helpful in figuring out the base
dependencies.

> There are some packages that are listed as dependencies by a large
> number of others, sometimes for no apparent reason. As an example, try
> removing evolution and see what some of the weird things ym wants to
> take out along with it

Users do something like yum remove evolution* and then get a huge list
of dependencies and wonder why. Common mistake. Evolution can be
removed just fine. If you are talking about evolution-data-server, it
is a generic calendar store that originated out of Evolution (hence the
name) but does not have a dependency on Evolution. It is a very small
package really.

Rahul
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 06-05-2011, 04:48 AM
H Xu
 
Default Can't uninstall PackageKit without uninstalling gnome-shell, gdm, etc?

On 06/05/2011 10:49 AM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> On 06/05/2011 07:46 AM, Joe Zeff wrote:
>> On 06/04/2011 05:16 PM, H Xu wrote:
>>> I didn't use PackageKit when I was using Fedora 14. Now it seems that I
>>> can't uninstall PackageKit without uninstalling those packages. Is this
>>> a package bug? Thanks.
>
> No. More software components now use PackageKit as a framework. If you
> don't like the GUI, just remove gnome-packagekit and leave the
> framework in place. repoquery is helpful in figuring out the base
> dependencies.
>

Thanks.

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 06-05-2011, 07:03 AM
Joe Zeff
 
Default Can't uninstall PackageKit without uninstalling gnome-shell, gdm, etc?

On 06/04/2011 07:49 PM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Users do something like yum remove evolution* and then get a huge list
> of dependencies and wonder why. Common mistake.

No, all I did was this:

yum remove evolution

I was glad I didn't use -y when I saw the huge list of other things it
was going to take out with it.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 06-05-2011, 07:23 AM
Rahul Sundaram
 
Default Can't uninstall PackageKit without uninstalling gnome-shell, gdm, etc?

On 06/05/2011 12:33 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 06/04/2011 07:49 PM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> Users do something like yum remove evolution* and then get a huge list
>> of dependencies and wonder why. Common mistake.
> No, all I did was this:
>
> yum remove evolution
>
> I was glad I didn't use -y when I saw the huge list of other things it
> was going to take out with it.

Post the output. Let's see it

Rahul

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 06-05-2011, 12:18 PM
Tom Horsley
 
Default Can't uninstall PackageKit without uninstalling gnome-shell, gdm, etc?

On Sat, 04 Jun 2011 19:16:05 -0700
Joe Zeff wrote:

> As an example, try
> removing evolution

Actually, I have no problem removing evolution,
it is evolution-data-server that takes the rest
of the system with it :-).
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 06-05-2011, 03:57 PM
Joe Zeff
 
Default Can't uninstall PackageKit without uninstalling gnome-shell, gdm, etc?

On 06/05/2011 12:23 AM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Post the output. Let's see it

How strange. The other time I tried it, it listed a whole bunch of
stuff including gnome-color-chooser. This time, nothing was listed that
wasn't evolution related. I sit corrected by my own computer.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 06-05-2011, 08:26 PM
Aaron Konstam
 
Default Can't uninstall PackageKit without uninstalling gnome-shell, gdm, etc?

On Sun, 2011-06-05 at 08:16 +0800, H Xu wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I didn't use PackageKit when I was using Fedora 14. Now it seems that I
> can't uninstall PackageKit without uninstalling those packages. Is this
> a package bug? Thanks.
>
> Regards,
> H Xu
> 06/05/2011

Are you sure you did not use it? Are you saying you ran yum update
periodically do the updates? How inefficient.
--
================================================== =====================
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow glazed with rain water beside
the white chickens. -- William Carlos Williams, "The Red Wheel Barrow"
================================================== =====================
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam@sbcglobal.net

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 06-05-2011, 09:14 PM
Tom Horsley
 
Default Can't uninstall PackageKit without uninstalling gnome-shell, gdm, etc?

On Sun, 05 Jun 2011 15:26:26 -0500
Aaron Konstam wrote:

> Are you sure you did not use it? Are you saying you ran yum update
> periodically do the updates? How inefficient.

No, how incredibly less annoying: There is no way to tell
what in the blue blazes PackageKit is doing. The progress
bar looks the same if you have a crappy connection to
the server and you are downloading a 10K update as it does
if you have a wonderful high speed connection and you are
downloading a 100MB update. With yum, you can actually
see what's happening.

And unless you disable the PackageKit notifications, you
find that every single time you try to run yum manually,
you get a message that says PackageKit has it locked already
(I think it waits till it sees you type "yum", then
immediately goes off and checks for updates :-).

Plus, I have better things to do than constantly dismiss
the popups saying, "Hey! There's updates! Don't you
want to install updates! You can't possibly have anything
else to do can you? Why don't you install updates?"
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 06-06-2011, 12:49 AM
john wendel
 
Default Can't uninstall PackageKit without uninstalling gnome-shell, gdm, etc?

On 06/05/2011 01:26 PM, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Sun, 2011-06-05 at 08:16 +0800, H Xu wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I didn't use PackageKit when I was using Fedora 14. Now it seems that I
>> can't uninstall PackageKit without uninstalling those packages. Is this
>> a package bug? Thanks.
>>
>> Regards,
>> H Xu
>> 06/05/2011
>
> Are you sure you did not use it? Are you saying you ran yum update
> periodically do the updates? How inefficient.

This is sarcasm, right?

John
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:24 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org