Old 06-04-2011, 06:12 PM
Vincent

Default Email problem, evolution asking for unknow password

Hello,
I just switched to F15, I had every thing working OK then the log in on
boot up stop appearing, then when I try to log in to evolution the
message appeared: "Enter password to unlock your login keyring the login
keyring did not get unlocked when you logged into the computer" I
entered the user password didn't accept, I try the root PW didn't accept
then I cancel several times and eventually allowed me to get the email.
by the way the user PW is still good because I used after I left the
computer unused for while. Any idea?

Also what is the intended way to shutdown without going to the terminal
ant type shutdown?
I will appreciate help, thank you
Vinny

P.S. I can't send email ether. It requires that not know PW

Old 06-05-2011, 06:15 AM
Pasha R

On Sat, Jun 4, 2011 at 9:12 PM, Vincent <vonelli@verizon.net> wrote:
> Hello,
> I just switched to F15, I had every thing working OK then the log in on
> boot up stop appearing, then when I try to log in to evolution the
> message appeared: "Enter password to unlock your login keyring the login
> keyring did not get unlocked when you logged into the computer" I
> entered the user password didn't accept, I try the root PW didn't accept
> then I cancel several times and eventually allowed me to get the email.
> by the way the user PW is still good because I used after I left the
> computer unused for while. Any idea?
>
> Also what is the intended way to shutdown without going to the terminal
> ant type shutdown?
> I will appreciate help, thank you
> Vinny
>
> P.S. I can't send email ether. It requires that not know PW

evolution looks for password to unlock default keyring, where it (and
most Gnome apps) store passwords. Usually, on fresh installation, when
some application tries to store password for the first time, it asks
you to create password for default keyring.
You can try running keyring manager (seahorse in command line) to see
if keyring was created. If it exists and you don't know password for
it, you can delete it (you will lose any saved passwords, of course)
and it should be recreated when evolution tries to save password
again.

To shutdown, click your user name in right top corner of the screen,
then hold 'Alt' button. Suspend menu item will change to shutdown.
There are some extensions that make shutdown menu item permanently
visible, just search this archive for it.

Old 06-05-2011, 10:15 PM
Vincent

> From: Pasha R <pashar.ml@gmail.com>
> On Sat, Jun 4, 2011 at 9:12 PM, Vincent <vonelli@verizon.net> wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I just switched to F15, I had every thing working OK then the log in on
> > boot up stop appearing, then when I try to log in to evolution the
> > message appeared: "Enter password to unlock your login keyring the login
> > keyring did not get unlocked when you logged into the computer" I
> > entered the user password didn't accept, I try the root PW didn't accept
> > then I cancel several times and eventually allowed me to get the email.
> > by the way the user PW is still good because I used after I left the
> > computer unused for while. Any idea?
> >
> > Also what is the intended way to shutdown without going to the terminal
> > ant type shutdown?
> > I will appreciate help, thank you
> > Vinny
> >
> > P.S. I can't send email ether. It requires that not know PW
>
> evolution looks for password to unlock default keyring, where it (and
> most Gnome apps) store passwords. Usually, on fresh installation, when
> some application tries to store password for the first time, it asks
> you to create password for default keyring.
> You can try running keyring manager (seahorse in command line) to see
> if keyring was created. If it exists and you don't know password for
> it, you can delete it (you will lose any saved passwords, of course)
> and it should be recreated when evolution tries to save password
> again.
which PW, it doesn't give me the opportunity to enter one I look at seahorse and
there is nothing.
Is this a new feature on F15 that was implemented through an update?
Because initially was working like in the previous release it never
asked for keyring PW, this is the first time that I am having problem.
I do not need the password for email how can I eliminate it.

> To shutdown, click your user name in right top corner of the screen,
> then hold 'Alt' button. Suspend menu item will change to shutdown.
> There are some extensions that make shutdown menu item permanently
> visible, just search this archive for it.

This worked fine thank you

Old 06-06-2011, 08:29 AM
Pasha R

On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 1:15 AM, Vincent <vonelli@verizon.net> wrote:
>> From: Pasha R <pashar.ml@gmail.com>
>> On Sat, Jun 4, 2011 at 9:12 PM, Vincent <vonelli@verizon.net> wrote:
>> > Hello,
>> > I just switched to F15, I had every thing working OK then the log in on
>> > boot up stop appearing, then when I try to log in to evolution the
>> > message appeared: "Enter password to unlock your login keyring the login
>> > keyring did not get unlocked when you logged into the computer" I
>> > entered the user password didn't accept, I try the root PW didn't accept
>> > then I cancel several times and eventually allowed me to get the email.
>> > by the way the user PW is still good because I used after I left the
>> > computer unused for while. Any idea?
>> >
>> > Also what is the intended way to shutdown without going to the terminal
>> > ant type shutdown?
>> > I will appreciate help, thank you
>> > Vinny
>> >
>> > P.S. I can't send email ether. It requires that not know PW
>>
>> evolution looks for password to unlock default keyring, where it (and
>> most Gnome apps) store passwords. Usually, on fresh installation, when
>> some application tries to store password for the first time, it asks
>> you to create password for default keyring.
>> You can try running keyring manager (seahorse in command line) to see
>> if keyring was created. If it exists and you don't know password for
>> it, you can delete it (you will lose any saved passwords, of course)
>> and it should be recreated when evolution tries to save password
>> again.
> which PW, it doesn't give me the opportunity to enter one I look at seahorse and
> there is nothing.
> Is this a new feature on F15 that was implemented through an update?
> Because initially was working like in the previous release it never
> asked for keyring PW, this is the first time that I am having problem.
> I do not need the password for email how can I eliminate it.

This feature (storing passwords in keyring) presents in several
releases already, since F12 at least. Try to create default keyring
without password using seahorse.

Old 06-07-2011, 01:08 AM
Vincent

> On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 1:15 AM, Vincent <vonelli@verizon.net> wrote:
> >> From: Pasha R <pashar.ml@gmail.com>

> This feature (storing passwords in keyring) presents in several
> releases already, since F12 at least. Try to create default keyring
> without password using seahorse.

I apologize for my ignorance, just don't know how getting around.
I try but couldn't find the way to fix, so I decided to reinstall F15
for now it works OK, I also check the new installation with seahorse and
found to be exactly the same.
I would still like to understand the mechanism just in case that happens
again.
thank you very much.
Vinny