Old 06-04-2011, 06:07 PM
john wendel

Default T-Bird won't open URL

I'm getting the following error when I click on a URL in Tbird.

This is the 3.1.10 Tbird from F14 using Aurora browser (yeah I know,
it's broken and I get to keep the pieces).

Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure
code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)
[nsIExternalProtocolService.loadUrl]" nsresult: "0x80004005
(NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame ::
chrome://communicator/content/contentAreaClick.js :: openLinkExternally
:: line 188" data: no]

Anyone have any words of wisdom?

Thanks,

John

Old 06-04-2011, 06:27 PM
Steven Stern

On 06/04/2011 01:07 PM, john wendel wrote:

> I'm getting the following error when I click on a URL in Tbird.
>
> This is the 3.1.10 Tbird from F14 using Aurora browser (yeah I know,
> it's broken and I get to keep the pieces).
>
> Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure
> code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)
> [nsIExternalProtocolService.loadUrl]" nsresult: "0x80004005
> (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame ::
> chrome://communicator/content/contentAreaClick.js :: openLinkExternally
> :: line 188" data: no]
>
> Anyone have any words of wisdom?
>
> Thanks,
>
> John

Close thunderbird and go into ~/.thunderbird/yourprofiledirectory

edit mimeTypes.rdf and find the stanzas that refer to the browser. Look
for http and https Here are mine for chrome:

<RDFescription RDF:about="urn:scheme:externalApplication:http"
NCrettyName="google-chrome"
NCath="/opt/google/chrome/google-chrome" />
<RDFescription RDF:about="urn:scheme:externalApplication:https"
NCrettyName="google-chrome"
NCath="/opt/google/chrome/google-chrome" />

replace the chrome stuff with the stuff for your browser.

--
-- Steve