Old 06-04-2011, 09:31 AM
Alexander Volovics

Default F15: Using gedit and evince under lxde

I have been having problems with nouveau/nvidia under gnome3
on my desktop. So not to waste anymore time I installed F15 LXDE.

I rather like it, reminds me of my blackbox/fluxbox days.

However some LXDE apps are a bit raw compared to their gnome
counterparts, i.e. leafpad/gedit, ePDF/evince.

So I installed gedit and evince. I use gedit regularly, not
as an editor (I use vim) but as a wordprocessor in place of the
unwieldy OO/LO Writer.

The problem with gedit/evince under LXDE is that they do not
retain configuration settings and I see the following message:
$ gedit
GLib-GIO-Message: Using the 'memory' GSettings backend. Your settings
will not be saved or shared with other applications.

After installation in LXDE there is a folder ~/.config/gedit
with 3 files in it: accels, gedit-page-setup & gedit-print-settings.
I suspect that I can fix the above problem by editing either 'accels'
or 'gedit-page-setup'.
'accels' is rather complicated but 'gedit-page-setup' seems more
accessible:

[Page Setup]
PPDName=Letter
DisplayName=US Letter
Width=215.89999389648438
Height=279.39999389648438
MarginTop=6.3499999999999996
MarginBottom=14.224
MarginLeft=6.3499999999999996
MarginRight=6.3499999999999996
Orientation=portrait

It is not quite clear to me if these lines define the 'size' of gedit
(i.e. something like --geometry=80x40) or the 'position' of gedit on
the screen or both.

And I do not see anything to change the font and its size.

As the documentation on LXDE is rather sparse I don't know where
to get basic information before experimenting on my own.

Can anybody help or should I post to the Fedora LXDE list or a LXDE
forum?

Alexander

Old 06-04-2011, 03:32 PM
Rahul Sundaram

On 06/04/2011 03:01 PM, Alexander Volovics wrote:
> As the documentation on LXDE is rather sparse I don't know where
> to get basic information before experimenting on my own.
>
> Can anybody help or should I post to the Fedora LXDE list or a LXDE
> forum?

Better to ask in

Rahul