Old 06-03-2011, 11:27 PM
Dave Stevens

Default drupal 7 in F14?

Hi,

I've been learning about Drupal 7 on a CentOS install and it is more
convenient to use it on my F14 box for learning purposes. The install
was just a yum command, but I'm accustomed to finding and running the
install.php file to configure it. When I start an instance of firefox
as root and browse to that file I don't get the expected install
screen sequence but rather some ascii gibberish. Also the file
location is in /usr/share rather than as I would have expected in a
folder off /var/www/html.

Is there a reference for D7 in Fedora? There's no man page. I have a
couple of D7 books, it's the Fedora-specific bits I'm having trouble
with.

Advice much appreciated.

Dave

--
"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
Krishnamurti

Old 06-03-2011, 11:49 PM
夜神 岩男

--- On Sat, 2011/6/4, Dave Stevens <geek@uniserve.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been learning about Drupal 7 on a CentOS install and it is more*
> convenient to use it on my F14 box for learning purposes. The install*
> was just a yum command, but I'm accustomed to finding and running the*
> install.php file to configure it. When I start an instance of firefox*
> as root and browse to that file I don't get the expected install*
> screen sequence but rather some ascii gibberish. Also the file*
> location is in /usr/share rather than as I would have expected in a*
> folder off /var/www/html.
>
> Is there a reference for D7 in Fedora? There's no man page. I have a*
> couple of D7 books, it's the Fedora-specific bits I'm having trouble*
> with.
>
> Advice much appreciated.
>
> Dave

This was fun for me to figure out as well. Drupal 6 is what is in the F14 respositories, not Drupal 7 (unless there is a package name extension which differentiates between the two -- "yum install drupal" installs Drupal 6). Here are a few links that may clear things up a bit:
http://zxq9.com/archives/442
http://drupal.org/node/557910
http://drupal.org/node/1056404
Note that these are installations for Drupal 7 from drupal.org, not from the yum repositories for F14, as the repositories do not carry D7. This means you have to pay attention to the report panel inside Drupal and keep up with updates on your own (which is less fun than using yum update, obviously, but not hard).

Old 06-03-2011, 11:58 PM
Steven Stern

On 06/03/2011 06:27 PM, Dave Stevens wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been learning about Drupal 7 on a CentOS install and it is more
> convenient to use it on my F14 box for learning purposes. The install
> was just a yum command, but I'm accustomed to finding and running the
> install.php file to configure it. When I start an instance of firefox
> as root and browse to that file I don't get the expected install
> screen sequence but rather some ascii gibberish. Also the file
> location is in /usr/share rather than as I would have expected in a
> folder off /var/www/html.
>
> Is there a reference for D7 in Fedora? There's no man page. I have a
> couple of D7 books, it's the Fedora-specific bits I'm having trouble
> with.
>
> Advice much appreciated.
>
> Dave

I would strongly advise installing directly from the Drupal.org site and
not via the Fedora repos. The drupal site will always be more up to
date and will work in a way that matches Drupal's docs.

--
-- Steve

Old 06-04-2011, 12:35 AM
Dave Stevens

On Friday, June 03, 2011 04:49:04 PM 夜神 岩男 wrote:
> --- On Sat, 2011/6/4, Dave Stevens <geek@uniserve.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've been learning about Drupal 7 on a CentOS install and it is more
> > convenient to use it on my F14 box for learning purposes. The install
> > was just a yum command, but I'm accustomed to finding and running the
> > install.php file to configure it. When I start an instance of firefox
> > as root and browse to that file I don't get the expected install
> > screen sequence but rather some ascii gibberish. Also the file
> > location is in /usr/share rather than as I would have expected in a
> > folder off /var/www/html.
> >
> > Is there a reference for D7 in Fedora? There's no man page. I have a
> > couple of D7 books, it's the Fedora-specific bits I'm having trouble
> > with.
> >
> > Advice much appreciated.
> >
> > Dave
>
> This was fun for me to figure out as well. Drupal 6 is what is in the F14
> respositories, not Drupal 7 (unless there is a package name extension
> which differentiates between the two -- "yum install drupal" installs
> Drupal 6).

yes, I see that. Here's what I got:

[dave@davehost ~]$ yum list drupal
Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit
Available Packages
drupal.noarch 6.20-1.fc14
updates
[dave@davehost ~]$ yum list drupal*
Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit
Installed Packages
drupal7.noarch 7.0-4.fc14
@updates
Available Packages
drupal.noarch 6.20-1.fc14
updates
drupal-calendar.noarch 6.x.2.2-2.fc13
fedora
drupal-cck.noarch 6.x.2.8-1.fc14
fedora
drupal-date.noarch 6.x.2.4-1.fc13
fedora
drupal-service_links.noarch 6.x.2.0-1.fc14
updates
drupal-views.noarch 6.x.2.12-1.fc14
updates
drupal-workspace.noarch 6.x.1.4-2.rc1.fc13
fedora
drupal6-advanced-help.noarch 1.2-2.fc14
updates
drupal6-filefield.noarch 6.x.3.9-1.fc14
updates
drupal6-footnotes.noarch 2.5-1.fc14
updates
drupal6-image.noarch 6.x.1.1-1.fc14
updates
drupal6-video.noarch 6.x.4.2.beta2-2.fc14
updates
drupal6-views_bulk_operations.noarch 1.10-6.fc14
updates
drupal6-yubikey.noarch 6.x.2.0.beta2-1.fc14
updates
[dave@davehost ~]$

> Here are a few links that may clear things up a bit:
> http://zxq9.com/archives/442
> http://drupal.org/node/557910
> http://drupal.org/node/1056404
> Note that these are installations for Drupal 7 from drupal.org, not from
> the yum repositories for F14, as the repositories do not carry D7. This
> means you have to pay attention to the report panel inside Drupal and keep
> up with updates on your own (which is less fun than using yum update,
> obviously, but not hard).

Yes, I'll follow up on the references, thanks very much.

Dave

--
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to
grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Douglas Adams in one of the Hitchiker novels...

Old 06-04-2011, 12:36 AM
Dave Stevens

On Friday, June 03, 2011 04:58:23 PM Steven Stern wrote:
> On 06/03/2011 06:27 PM, Dave Stevens wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've been learning about Drupal 7 on a CentOS install and it is more
> > convenient to use it on my F14 box for learning purposes. The install
> > was just a yum command, but I'm accustomed to finding and running the
> > install.php file to configure it. When I start an instance of firefox
> > as root and browse to that file I don't get the expected install
> > screen sequence but rather some ascii gibberish. Also the file
> > location is in /usr/share rather than as I would have expected in a
> > folder off /var/www/html.
> >
> > Is there a reference for D7 in Fedora? There's no man page. I have a
> > couple of D7 books, it's the Fedora-specific bits I'm having trouble
> > with.
> >
> > Advice much appreciated.
> >
> > Dave
>
> I would strongly advise installing directly from the Drupal.org site and
> not via the Fedora repos. The drupal site will always be more up to
> date and will work in a way that matches Drupal's docs.

OK, thanks, Also see supergiantpotato's advice

Dave

Old 06-04-2011, 03:29 AM

I have Drupal 7.2, the latest version, working very well in Fedora 14.
May I suggest downloading Drupal 7.2.tar.gz* into /Downloads, extract it into a folder that will have the same name as teh archive, sudo cp that folder to /var/www/html/ -note the following / so it doesn't overwrite anything in /var/www/html

In Firefox do 127.0.0.1/drupal7folder and if you have the database set up it should start the install
Roger.

*
*

Old 06-04-2011, 03:32 AM