Old 06-03-2011, 06:35 PM

Default Converting VMs from KVM to VirtualBox

Hi there,

Although the man page for qemu-img states i can convert between raw, qcow2 and vdi images, a raw KVM image I converted did not worked with VirtualBox. Could anyone confirm if this was supposed to work?

I used this command:

# qemu-img convert -O vdi centos.img centos.vdi

(yes, the VM was running CentOS 5)

And I tried to use centos.vdi as an image file when defining a hard drive for the VirtualBox VM.

Under Fedora 14, all updates installed, and VirtualBox 4.0.8 from Oracle repos.

[]s, Fernando Lozano

Old 06-03-2011, 07:06 PM
Fernando Cassia

On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 15:35, <fernando@lozano.eti.br> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Although the man page for qemu-img states i can convert between raw, qcow2
> and vdi images, a raw KVM image I converted did not worked with VirtualBox.

Wouldn´t it be easier to export to .ovf and then import the ovf image
into VirtualBox?.

The whole idea of OVF is to ease exchange of VMs from one program to another....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Virtualization_Format

"A lot of this (moving from one hypervisor to another) wouldn’t be
possible without the OVF, its great that so many people got behind it
so quickly. The last thing we need in the virtualization space is
vendor lock in. In short you can export your Virtual Machines into OVF
format and from there into your new hypervisors format. Most modern
hypervisors will support this. Interestingly, while VMware ESX(i)
supports it, VMware Server 2 didnt – but VMware provide OVFtool for
this very purpose."

http://opensourcegeek.org/tag/kvm/
FC

Old 06-03-2011, 07:19 PM

Hi Fernando,

>> Although the man page for qemu-img states i can convert between raw, qcow2
>> and vdi images, a raw KVM image I converted did not worked with VirtualBox.
>
>Wouldnt it be easier to export to .ovf and then import the ovf image
>into VirtualBox?.

And how do I do that? virt-manager has no export / convert option, and "man qemu-img" doesn't list ovf as a supported format.

[]s, Fernando Lozano

Old 06-03-2011, 07:20 PM
Tom Horsley

On Fri, 3 Jun 2011 16:06:06 -0300
Fernando Cassia wrote:

> The whole idea of OVF is to ease exchange of VMs from one program to another....
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Virtualization_Format

If he is like me, he never heard of OVF until just now :-).