Old 06-03-2011, 06:02 PM
Tim Evans

Default Chrome, FireFox Both Claim to be Default Browser; Chrome Wins

How do you demote one, when both claim to be default?
--
Tim Evans, TKEvans.com, Inc. | 5 Chestnut Court
UNIX System Admin Consulting | Owings Mills, MD 21117

Old 06-05-2011, 02:45 PM
John Aldrich

On Fri June 3 2011, Tim Evans wrote:
> How do you demote one, when both claim to be default?

Open Systemsettings and set your default browser there???? That's what I
did and it worked for me.

Old 06-05-2011, 02:51 PM
Tim Evans

On 06/05/2011 10:45 AM, John Aldrich wrote:
> On Fri June 3 2011, Tim Evans wrote:
>> How do you demote one, when both claim to be default?
>>
> Open Systemsettings and set your default browser there???? That's what I
> did and it worked for me.

Thanks. FireFox was already set as default; however, clicking on links
in e-mail still opens Chrome.

Old 06-05-2011, 02:55 PM
Steven Stern

On 06/05/2011 09:51 AM, Tim Evans wrote:
> On 06/05/2011 10:45 AM, John Aldrich wrote:
>> On Fri June 3 2011, Tim Evans wrote:
>>> How do you demote one, when both claim to be default?
>>>
>> Open Systemsettings and set your default browser there???? That's what I
>> did and it worked for me.
>
> Thanks. FireFox was already set as default; however, clicking on links
> in e-mail still opens Chrome.

Close thunderbird and go into ~/.thunderbird/yourprofiledirectory

edit mimeTypes.rdf and find the stanzas that refer to the browser. Look
for http and https Here are mine for chrome:

<RDFescription RDF:about="urn:scheme:externalApplication:http"
NCrettyName="google-chrome"
NCath="/opt/google/chrome/google-chrome" />
<RDFescription RDF:about="urn:scheme:externalApplication:https"
NCrettyName="google-chrome"
NCath="/opt/google/chrome/google-chrome" />

replace the chrome stuff with the the appropriate links for Firefox.

path -> "/usr/bin/firefox"
prettyName -> "Firefox"

--
-- Steve

Old 06-05-2011, 03:42 PM
Tim Evans

On 06/05/2011 10:55 AM, Steven Stern wrote:
> On 06/05/2011 09:51 AM, Tim Evans wrote:
>>>>
>>> Open Systemsettings and set your default browser there???? That's what I
>>> did and it worked for me.
>>
>> Thanks. FireFox was already set as default; however, clicking on links
>> in e-mail still opens Chrome.
>
> Close thunderbird and go into ~/.thunderbird/yourprofiledirectory
>
> edit mimeTypes.rdf and find the stanzas that refer to the browser. Look
> for http and https Here are mine for chrome:
>
> <RDFescription RDF:about="urn:scheme:externalApplication:http"
> NCrettyName="google-chrome"
> NCath="/opt/google/chrome/google-chrome" />
> <RDFescription RDF:about="urn:scheme:externalApplication:https"
> NCrettyName="google-chrome"
> NCath="/opt/google/chrome/google-chrome" />
>

> replace the chrome stuff with the the appropriate links for Firefox.

These stanzas did not exist, so I added them (with Firefox specified).

After re-starting Thunderbird, clicking on links in e-mails still opens
Chrome.

Old 06-05-2011, 11:56 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Sun, 2011-06-05 at 11:42 -0400, Tim Evans wrote:
> On 06/05/2011 10:55 AM, Steven Stern wrote:

> >> Thanks. FireFox was already set as default; however, clicking on links
> >> in e-mail still opens Chrome.
> >
> > Close thunderbird and go into ~/.thunderbird/yourprofiledirectory
> >
> > edit mimeTypes.rdf and find the stanzas that refer to the browser. Look
> > for http and https Here are mine for chrome:
> >
> > <RDFescription RDF:about="urn:scheme:externalApplication:http"
> > NCrettyName="google-chrome"
> > NCath="/opt/google/chrome/google-chrome" />
> > <RDFescription RDF:about="urn:scheme:externalApplication:https"
> > NCrettyName="google-chrome"
> > NCath="/opt/google/chrome/google-chrome" />
> >

> > replace the chrome stuff with the the appropriate links for Firefox.
> >

> These stanzas did not exist, so I added them (with Firefox specified).
>
> After re-starting Thunderbird, clicking on links in e-mails still opens
> Chrome.

You haven't mentioned which desktop you're using. You need to change the
*Gnome* defaults (even if you're using KDE) because Thunderbird and the
two browsers are all Gnome apps. Run gnome-control-center from a Shell
and proceed from there.

poc

Old 06-06-2011, 12:21 AM
Ed Greshko

> You haven't mentioned which desktop you're using. You need to change the
> *Gnome* defaults (even if you're using KDE) because Thunderbird and the
> two browsers are all Gnome apps. Run gnome-control-center from a Shell
> and proceed from there.

That is exactly what I've had to do for several releases now. So, I
concur with this diagnosis. :-)

Old 06-06-2011, 12:45 AM
Tim Evans

> On Sun, 2011-06-05 at 11:42 -0400, Tim Evans wrote:

>>> Close thunderbird and go into ~/.thunderbird/yourprofiledirectory
>>>
>>> edit mimeTypes.rdf and find the stanzas that refer to the browser. Look
>>> for http and https Here are mine for chrome:
>>>
>>> <RDFescription RDF:about="urn:scheme:externalApplication:http"
>>> NCrettyName="google-chrome"
>>> NCath="/opt/google/chrome/google-chrome" />
>>> <RDFescription RDF:about="urn:scheme:externalApplication:https"
>>> NCrettyName="google-chrome"
>>> NCath="/opt/google/chrome/google-chrome" />
>>>

>>> replace the chrome stuff with the the appropriate links for Firefox.
>>>

>> These stanzas did not exist, so I added them (with Firefox specified).
>>
>> After re-starting Thunderbird, clicking on links in e-mails still opens
>> Chrome.
>
> You haven't mentioned which desktop you're using. You need to change the
> *Gnome* defaults (even if you're using KDE) because Thunderbird and the
> two browsers are all Gnome apps. Run gnome-control-center from a Shell
> and proceed from there.

Gnome 3 default desktop. I have run gnome-control-center (several
times, as a matter of fact); FireFox is set as default browser.

Old 06-11-2011, 05:42 PM
Tim Evans

On 06/05/2011 08:45 PM, Tim Evans wrote:
> On 06/05/2011 07:56 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

>>> These stanzas did not exist, so I added them (with Firefox specified).
>>>
>>> After re-starting Thunderbird, clicking on links in e-mails still opens
>>> Chrome.
>>
>> You haven't mentioned which desktop you're using. You need to change the
>> *Gnome* defaults (even if you're using KDE) because Thunderbird and the
>> two browsers are all Gnome apps. Run gnome-control-center from a Shell
>> and proceed from there.
>
> Gnome 3 default desktop. I have run gnome-control-center (several times,
> as a matter of fact); FireFox is set as default browser.

Just a follow-up from the original poster here. Despite all the advice,
this issue still isn't resolved. FireFox is set as default browser, but
clicking on links in e-mail (Thunderbird) still connects to Chrome.
(Thunderbird preferences explicitly set FireFox for HTML files.)

Any other ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.