FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 06-03-2011, 05:05 PM
Bill Davidsen
 
Default OpenOffice and Fedora

It seems that the future of OO is not so bleak as was originally
thought. OO is now handed to Apache, with the support of Oracle and IBM,
as well as others.

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2011/060211-faq-whats-the-future-of.html?source=NWWNLE_nlt_daily_am_2011-06-03


--
Bill Davidsen<davidsen@tmr.com>
We are not out of the woods yet, but we know the direction and have
taken the first step. The steps are many, but finite in number, and if
we persevere we will reach our destination. -me, 2010




--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 06-03-2011, 05:12 PM
Bruno Wolff III
 
Default OpenOffice and Fedora

On Fri, Jun 03, 2011 at 13:05:47 -0400,
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com> wrote:
> It seems that the future of OO is not so bleak as was originally
> thought. OO is now handed to Apache, with the support of Oracle and IBM,
> as well as others.
>
> http://www.networkworld.com/news/2011/060211-faq-whats-the-future-of.html?source=NWWNLE_nlt_daily_am_2011-06-03

Apache hasn't officially accepted the project yet. That is a multistep process
and is just getting started.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 06-04-2011, 01:07 PM
Bill Davidsen
 
Default OpenOffice and Fedora

Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 03, 2011 at 13:05:47 -0400,
> Bill Davidsen<davidsen@tmr.com> wrote:
>
>> It seems that the future of OO is not so bleak as was originally
>> thought. OO is now handed to Apache, with the support of Oracle and IBM,
>> as well as others.
>>
>> http://www.networkworld.com/news/2011/060211-faq-whats-the-future-of.html?source=NWWNLE_nlt_daily_am_2011-06-03
>>
> Apache hasn't officially accepted the project yet. That is a multistep process
> and is just getting started.
>
>
Noted, and thanks for clarifying that. The link below seems to indicate
that Apache is in favor of this, and I'm sure Oracle didn't just "toss
this over the wall" without checking to see if Apache was receptive to
accepting the project.

http://www.networkworld.com/community/apache-president-jim-jagielski-talks-openoffice-org?source=NWWNLE_nlt_daily_pm_2011-06-03

Clearly this is a developing story, I just wanted to make the point that
having two projects may thin the resources and reduce the progress of
either. I'd like to believe that won't happen, but I suspect it will.

--
Bill Davidsen<davidsen@tmr.com>
We are not out of the woods yet, but we know the direction and have
taken the first step. The steps are many, but finite in number, and if
we persevere we will reach our destination. -me, 2010



--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 06-04-2011, 03:35 PM
Antonio Olivares
 
Default OpenOffice and Fedora

> >> It seems that the future of OO is not so bleak as
> was originally
> >> thought. OO is now handed to Apache, with the
> support of Oracle and IBM,
> >> as well as others.
> >>
> >> http://www.networkworld.com/news/2011/060211-faq-whats-the-future-of.html?source=NWWNLE_nlt_daily_am_2011-06-03
> >>* * *
> > Apache hasn't officially accepted the project yet.
> That is a multistep process
> > and is just getting started.
> >
> >* *
> Noted, and thanks for clarifying that. The link below seems
> to indicate
> that Apache is in favor of this, and I'm sure Oracle didn't
> just "toss
> this over the wall" without checking to see if Apache was
> receptive to
> accepting the project.
>
> http://www.networkworld.com/community/apache-president-jim-jagielski-talks-openoffice-org?source=NWWNLE_nlt_daily_pm_2011-06-03
>
> Clearly this is a developing story, I just wanted to make
> the point that
> having two projects may thin the resources and reduce the
> progress of
> either. I'd like to believe that won't happen, but I
> suspect it will.
>
> --

We hopefully still have gnumeric and abiword They are still developed and maintained.

I try to make sense of why things went that way, but ORACLE is a for profit company and it did not want to hand over the code/resources to LibO foundation so they wanted to keep it alive and gave it over to Apache which uses a different license and code can be proprietary again and IBM and others step in and build their code and see how they can make profit in the end.

No one gives something for free, they want something back in return and this is what is happening here

But I get your point, it seems to many that the main reason is that Oracle does not want to give away what it bought from Sun and this way it keeps the code churning and moving .

Regards,



Antonio
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 06-04-2011, 07:11 PM
Fernando Cassia
 
Default OpenOffice and Fedora

On Sat, Jun 4, 2011 at 10:07, Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com> wrote:
> Clearly this is a developing story, I just wanted to make the point that
> having two projects may thin the resources and reduce the progress of
> either. I'd like to believe that won't happen, but I suspect it will.


After all, the small group of vocal anti-Oracle guys led by Novell´s
Meeks reached their goal: killing the for-profit Staroffice commercial
roduct based on OpenOffice.org code (which Oracle had renamed "Oracle
Open Office" (notice the lack of ".org" in the name, which was still
developed).

This led to Oracle´s layoff of all its OO.o developers. So "Libre"
office ends up without half the previous developers. All in the name
of "freedom" by the small LO minority, of course.

Ubuntu´s Shuttleworth sums it up very nicely here:

http://ho.io/libreoffice

--
Shuttleworth has a fairly serious disagreement with how the
OpenOffice.org/LibreOffice split came about. He said that Sun made a
$100 million "gift" to the community when it opened up the OpenOffice
code. But a "radical faction" made the lives of the OpenOffice
developers "hell" by refusing to contribute code under the Sun
agreement. That eventually led to the split, but furthermore led
Oracle to finally decide to stop OpenOffice development and lay off
100 employees. He contends that the pace of development for
LibreOffice is not keeping up with what OpenOffice was able to achieve
and wonders if OpenOffice would have been better off if the
"factionalists" hadn't won.

There is a "pathological lack of understanding" among some parts of
the community about what companies bring to the table, he said. People
fear and mistrust the companies on one hand, while asking "where can I
get a job in free software?" on the other. Companies bring jobs, he
said. There is a lot of "ideological claptrap" that permeates the
community and, while it is reasonable to be cautious about the motives
of companies, avoiding them entirely is not rational.
--

FC
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 06-04-2011, 07:36 PM
Miroslaw Baran
 
Default OpenOffice and Fedora

On 4 June 2011 20:11, Fernando Cassia <fcassia@gmail.com> wrote:


On Sat, Jun 4, 2011 at 10:07, Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com> wrote:

> Clearly this is a developing story, I just wanted to make the point that

> having two projects may thin the resources and reduce the progress of

> either. I'd like to believe that won't happen, but I suspect it will.





After all, the small group of vocal anti-Oracle guys led by Novell´s

Meeks reached their goal: killing the for-profit Staroffice commercial

roduct based on OpenOffice.org code (which Oracle had renamed "Oracle

Open Office" (notice the lack of ".org" in the name, which was still

developed).

Oh, look, it's Oracle's Mr. Cassia with his FUD again!
Dear sir, this time it took much too long for you to react properly; please make sure that you react faster, as it is proper and required from you.


[And please do work your story better; either Mr Meeks and his ghastly Novell troops are puny and insignificant – and unable to develop any software in a reasonable way OR they are so TERRIBLY COMPETENT, that even a huge corporation like Oracle was not able to compete with them and had to dissolve their brilliant troop of OpenOffice programmers; you can't really have this both ways and sound credible, you know.]

Â*SincerelyMiroslaw Baran

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 06-04-2011, 09:00 PM
Fernando Cassia
 
Default OpenOffice and Fedora

On Sat, Jun 4, 2011 at 16:36, Miroslaw Baran <miroslaw.baran@gmail.com> wrote:
> that even a huge corporation like Oracle

I´m not affiliated in any way with Oracle Corp.
I´m a freelance journalist struggling to make ends meet.

I was just a happy OpenOffice.org user and saw nothing wrong with
Contributor Agreements by Sun Microsystems. A vocal small group of
developers, led by Novel´s Mr. Meeks (by the way, Oracle is an evil
corporation, and what is Novell? a not-for profit venture? Did Novell
sign patent agreements with Microsoft? Did Novell promote Microsoft´s
.Net with its Mono venture? yes? no? Did Novell develop patches for
Microsoft´s OO-XML or not?).

In fact, I did purchase StarOffice, as a way to promote OpenOffice.org
development. (after all, it was Sun who footed the bill of most
OpenOffice.org programmers).

So is Canonical´s Shuttleworth an agent of Orace corp, as well, when
he says "He contends that the pace of development for LibreOffice is
not keeping up with what OpenOffice was able to achieve and wonders if
OpenOffice would have been better off if the "factionalists" hadn't
won. "

I´m sure Shuttleworth has a lot more "credibility" and inside
knowledge than me, I´m sure.

What I do know are the facts... there was a commercial product
(StarOffice) based on the FOSS OpenOffice.org, and now there is no
more. There were 50 devs on ORCL´s payroll working on OpenOffice.org
and now there are no more. There were big plans for the commercial
build of OO.o (StarOffice, renamed "Oracle Open Office" and developed
in parallel with the Oo.o base) and now there´s no more. Thank you!
LibreeOffice freedom fighters!

In fact I downloaded the automatic upgrade from Sun StarOffice 9 to
Oracle Open Office (built on Oracle´s OO.o 3.3 base) and it included a
bunch of new connectors and plug-ins between Oo.o and a wide range of
Oracle commercial software. You know, the kind of stuff that
Corporations would have loved and have surely bought, increasing the
profits and encouraging more devs on OpenOffice.org footed by Evil
Oracle.

But you know what? you win... applying a bit of doublespeak from
1984... less is more... defeat is winning... fork is king... Novell
does wonders (just look at how they sank their company), and Mono
rules.

FC
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:38 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org