Old 06-03-2011, 01:47 PM
Linuxguy123

Default Massively parallel (8 to 10 stream) music server/generator ?

We are considering the purchase of a house.

It has about 8 "zones" ie kitchen, living room, bedroom, patio, library,
etc.

Each zone has 2 to 4 speakers in it, all of which are wired such that
they terminate in the utility room.

The builder of the house did not provide any wiring for an A/V
controller in any of the zones, nor an IR extender.

I'd like to build a server that generates music for each of the zones.
I'm thinking that it would serve web pages that would allow users to
select various music material and direct it to one or more zones via any
device that supports a web browser.

On the hardware end of things, I'm thinking one could use 1 USB sound
card plus an amplifier for each zone.

How many USB sound cards could a single i5 ish PC running linux in
console mode feed ? (MP3, wav, flac formats)

Sometimes one will want to play the same music simultaneously across
multiple zones. Ie, during dinner, one might want to play music in the
kitchen and the dinning room. Is there a way to sync playback between
multiple USB sound cards ?

Is there a better way to generate music for this house ?

Thanks

Old 06-03-2011, 05:40 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Fri, Jun 03, 2011 at 07:47:41 -0600,
Linuxguy123 <linuxguy123@gmail.com> wrote:

> On the hardware end of things, I'm thinking one could use 1 USB sound
> card plus an amplifier for each zone.

If these draw power from the usb hub, you'll need to watch the total amount
of power being used.

> How many USB sound cards could a single i5 ish PC running linux in
> console mode feed ? (MP3, wav, flac formats)

Probably as many as your hardware will support.

> Sometimes one will want to play the same music simultaneously across
> multiple zones. Ie, during dinner, one might want to play music in the
> kitchen and the dinning room. Is there a way to sync playback between
> multiple USB sound cards ?

You should be able to get pulseaudio to play the same stream to multiple
devices. I would expect them to be relatively close to in sync. I am not
sure how to easily do this.

Old 06-04-2011, 11:57 AM
Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu

On Fri, 2011-06-03 at 07:47 -0600, Linuxguy123 wrote:
> I'd like to build a server that generates music for each of the zones.
> I'm thinking that it would serve web pages that would allow users to
> select various music material and direct it to one or more zones via any
> device that supports a web browser.
>
> On the hardware end of things, I'm thinking one could use 1 USB sound
> card plus an amplifier for each zone.
>
> How many USB sound cards could a single i5 ish PC running linux in
> console mode feed ? (MP3, wav, flac formats)
>
> Sometimes one will want to play the same music simultaneously across
> multiple zones. Ie, during dinner, one might want to play music in the
> kitchen and the dinning room. Is there a way to sync playback between
> multiple USB sound cards ?
>
> Is there a better way to generate music for this house ?

Check out LinuxMCE. It'll do a lot more than just pump music out to
your various zones. That's what I'm going to deploy.

I'd offer more details here, but I think you'd be better off reading the
site and trolling the forums. When you're ready, get a forum account
and start asking questions - lots of people willing to help!

Regards,

Ranbir

--
Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu
Linux 2.6.32.26-175.fc12.x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Old 06-05-2011, 04:52 PM
Linuxguy123

On Sat, 2011-06-04 at 07:57 -0400, Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu wrote:

> Check out LinuxMCE. It'll do a lot more than just pump music out to
> your various zones. That's what I'm going to deploy.
>
> I'd offer more details here, but I think you'd be better off reading the
> site and trolling the forums. When you're ready, get a forum account
> and start asking questions - lots of people willing to help!

Thanks for the link. It looks pretty impressive.