Old 06-03-2011, 12:15 PM
Gary Waters

Default Reset gnome 3?

Is there some way to reset gnome 3's setttings? I have been googling
around about tips and tweaks for gnome 3 and noticed I am missing a few
things, such as "places," "recent documents," and the plus/minus signs
at the bottom right to add/remove desktops, etc...

Unless, of course, I'm simply doing something wrong? Could the gnome
tweak tool have caused this? Is there a better FAQ I could consult?

In other words, I can't seem to get this:

http://www.thevarguy.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Screenshot-2.png

GW

Old 06-03-2011, 01:10 PM
Ian Malone

On 3 June 2011 13:15, Gary Waters <linuxnutster@videotron.ca> wrote:
> Is there some way to reset gnome 3's setttings? I have been googling
> around about tips and tweaks for gnome 3 and noticed I am missing a few
> things, such as "places," "recent documents," and the plus/minus signs
> at the bottom right to add/remove desktops, etc...
>
> Unless, of course, I'm simply doing something wrong? Could the gnome
> tweak tool have caused this? Is there a better FAQ I could consult?
>
> In other words, I can't seem to get this:
>
> http://www.thevarguy.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Screenshot-2.png

I've no idea how to get it, but would like to know too. However the
url suggests it's from march 2010, so they may have decided before
release that it was dangerously useful and removed it.

--
imalone

Old 06-03-2011, 01:30 PM
Stephen Gallagher

On Fri, 2011-06-03 at 14:10 +0100, Ian Malone wrote:
> On 3 June 2011 13:15, Gary Waters <linuxnutster@videotron.ca> wrote:
> > Is there some way to reset gnome 3's setttings? I have been googling
> > around about tips and tweaks for gnome 3 and noticed I am missing a few
> > things, such as "places," "recent documents," and the plus/minus signs
> > at the bottom right to add/remove desktops, etc...
> >
> > Unless, of course, I'm simply doing something wrong? Could the gnome
> > tweak tool have caused this? Is there a better FAQ I could consult?
> >
> > In other words, I can't seem to get this:
> >
> > http://www.thevarguy.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Screenshot-2.png
> >

> I've no idea how to get it, but would like to know too. However the
> url suggests it's from march 2010, so they may have decided before
> release that it was dangerously useful and removed it.

That screenshot is extremely out of date. Those panels no longer exist
on their own. They appear as you start typing into the search field in
the overlay.

Old 06-04-2011, 09:36 AM
Gary Waters

On 06/03/2011 09:10 AM, Ian Malone wrote:
> On 3 June 2011 13:15, Gary Waters<linuxnutster@videotron.ca> wrote:
>> Is there some way to reset gnome 3's setttings? I have been googling
>> around about tips and tweaks for gnome 3 and noticed I am missing a few
>> things, such as "places," "recent documents," and the plus/minus signs
>> at the bottom right to add/remove desktops, etc...
>>
>> Unless, of course, I'm simply doing something wrong? Could the gnome
>> tweak tool have caused this? Is there a better FAQ I could consult?
>>
>> In other words, I can't seem to get this:
>>
>> http://www.thevarguy.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Screenshot-2.png
>>

> I've no idea how to get it, but would like to know too. However the
> url suggests it's from march 2010, so they may have decided before
> release that it was dangerously useful and removed it.

LOL! Ah yes. I have fedora 12 on my work laptop. There I am zipping away
getting stuff done at lightning speed...then I come home to gnome 3...

Old 06-04-2011, 09:38 AM
Gary Waters

On 06/03/2011 09:30 AM, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-06-03 at 14:10 +0100, Ian Malone wrote:
>> On 3 June 2011 13:15, Gary Waters<linuxnutster@videotron.ca> wrote:
>>> Is there some way to reset gnome 3's setttings? I have been googling
>>> around about tips and tweaks for gnome 3 and noticed I am missing a few
>>> things, such as "places," "recent documents," and the plus/minus signs
>>> at the bottom right to add/remove desktops, etc...
>>>
>>> Unless, of course, I'm simply doing something wrong? Could the gnome
>>> tweak tool have caused this? Is there a better FAQ I could consult?
>>>
>>> In other words, I can't seem to get this:
>>>
>>> http://www.thevarguy.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Screenshot-2.png
>>>

>> I've no idea how to get it, but would like to know too. However the
>> url suggests it's from march 2010, so they may have decided before
>> release that it was dangerously useful and removed it.
>
> That screenshot is extremely out of date. Those panels no longer exist
> on their own. They appear as you start typing into the search field in
> the overlay.

I was afraid somebody would say they were out of date. I found several
websites showing the same layout. At Least now I can move forward and
stop trying to get the "ungettable." Thanks...

Old 06-04-2011, 02:06 PM
Neil

Hi, maybe you can remove the .gconf/ dir of your home dir, if you do not care about other settings

Old 06-04-2011, 03:29 PM
Antonio Olivares

Hi, maybe you can remove the .gconf/ dir of your home dir, if you do not care about other settings
在 2011-6-4 下午5:39,"Gary Waters" <linuxnutster@videotron.ca>写道:
> On 06/03/2011 09:30 AM, Stephen Gallagher wrote:

>>> I've no idea how to get it, but would like to know too. However the
>>> url suggests it's from march 2010, so they may have decided before
>>> release that it was dangerously useful and removed it.

>> That screenshot is extremely out of date. Those panels no longer exist
>> on their own. They appear as you start typing into the search field in
>> the overlay.
>>

> I was afraid somebody would say they were out of date. I found several
> websites showing the same layout. At Least now I can move forward and
> stop trying to get the "ungettable." Thanks...

> --

I don't know if this would do the trick
$ rm -rf ~/.gnome*

like I used to do sometimes with the old migration to KDE 4.0.X series I used to do a
$ rm -rf ~/.kde
to get a pristine KDE after messing with the panels and getting some inconveniences

If you would hate to do that drastic cure, try the

Another option is to create a new user and ditch the old one

Regards,

Antonio