FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 06-03-2011, 08:25 AM
Neil Bird
 
Default Fedora 14: iPod not mounting

I just got an iPod Touch 4G for my son, and tried it in my Fedora 14 PC
(he has a school Windows laptop I can put iTunes on but I'd rather get it
working “properly” )

When I plug it in I get am error popup:


unable to mount ipod touch

dbus error org.freedesktop.dbus.error.noreply: message did not receive a
reply (timeout by message bus)


The only other indication is a new icon in the drivemount-applet (but
that then crashes when I choose “Mount iPod”!). I don't recall seeing
anything on the desktop (like when USB sticks or CDs are inserted).

I also don't see the thing creating a /dev device: my understanding was
that the iPod should still appear as a USB storage device.

Relevant messages:

Jun 3 06:26:03 xxx kernel: [323135.822095] usb 1-4.2: USB disconnect,
address 17
Jun 3 06:26:15 xxx kernel: [323147.915711] usb 2-2: new high speed USB
device using ehci_hcd and address 2
Jun 3 06:26:15 xxx kernel: [323148.034570] usb 2-2: New USB device found,
idVendor=05ac, idProduct=129e
Jun 3 06:26:15 xxx kernel: [323148.034573] usb 2-2: New USB device strings:
Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
Jun 3 06:26:15 xxx kernel: [323148.034575] usb 2-2: Product: iPod
Jun 3 06:26:15 xxx kernel: [323148.034576] usb 2-2: Manufacturer: Apple Inc.
Jun 3 06:26:15 xxx kernel: [323148.034577] usb 2-2: SerialNumber: xxx
Jun 3 06:27:15 xxx kernel: [323207.561628] usb 2-2: USB disconnect, address 2


Any suggestions as to what to look at next?

I shall try to find the USB IDs in the h/w database/udev/hal/whatever
files to see if it's one that just needs to be added, but short of that I'm
at a loss.

--
[neil@fnx ~]# rm -f .signature
[neil@fnx ~]# ls -l .signature
ls: .signature: No such file or directory
[neil@fnx ~]# exit

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 06-03-2011, 07:01 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan
 
Default Fedora 14: iPod not mounting

On Fri, 2011-06-03 at 09:25 +0100, Neil Bird wrote:
> I also don't see the thing creating a /dev device: my
> understanding was
> that the iPod should still appear as a USB storage device.

A simple iPod mounts as a storage device, but a Touch or iPhone is a
more complex beast with its own protocol. I'm at my work machine but
when I get a chance I'll check my home machine which already has this
set up.

Note that you can update music etc. using Rhythmbox or Amarok but you
won't be able to do everything (such as update the firmware) except via
iTunes. I do it with a Windows VM, which also requires a bit of setup.

poc

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 06-06-2011, 08:47 AM
Neil Bird
 
Default Fedora 14: iPod not mounting

Around about 03/06/11 20:01, Patrick O'Callaghan typed ...
> A simple iPod mounts as a storage device, but a Touch or iPhone is a
> more complex beast with its own protocol. I'm at my work machine but
> when I get a chance I'll check my home machine which already has this
> set up.

I think, in the first instance, it was the iPod being am @rse: it wanted
me to connect it to iTunes before it'd do anything (power-on only showed a
USB->iTunes picture).

We put iTunes on my son's laptop, and the iPod burst into life.

*Then* I connected it to my son's Linux login and it showed up. However,
I still get the same error (even after logging out and back in) in my login.
Most odd.


> Note that you can update music etc. using Rhythmbox or Amarok but you
> won't be able to do everything (such as update the firmware) except via
> iTunes. I do it with a Windows VM, which also requires a bit of setup.

It does indeed now show up installed music in Rhythmbox (and gtkpod);
however, we're incapable of installing music from that end. R says it's
there after a bit of chugging, but the iPod doesn't; nuplug it & re-insert
it & it's gone.

Pretty much all my music is in .ogg; I had presumed that R would convert
this to AAC or something upon copy, but iTunes is unwilling to do so, so
maybe it's that.

I've had to resort to exporting a selection to MP3 as “normal”, putting
that into a dri set up to share for Windows, and then copy it on from the
laptop's iTunes. Bit of a PITA, but at least it works.


I shall be trying a Windows VM at some point in the semi-near future, so
it you have any pointers in that regard, it'd be appreciated!

--
[neil@fnx ~]# rm -f .signature
[neil@fnx ~]# ls -l .signature
ls: .signature: No such file or directory
[neil@fnx ~]# exit

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 06-06-2011, 02:05 PM
Patrick Kobly
 
Default Fedora 14: iPod not mounting

It's been a while since I synced my iPhone or Touch with any of the Linux tools (I usually use iTunes under virtualbox)... Under gtkpod, there was a menu item "eject" or "write changes"... After copying the files, whichever client you're using needs to rebuild the music database on the device.

PK


On 2011-06-06, at 2:47 AM, "Neil Bird" <neil@fnxweb.com> wrote:

> Around about 03/06/11 20:01, Patrick O'Callaghan typed ...
>> A simple iPod mounts as a storage device, but a Touch or iPhone is a
>> more complex beast with its own protocol. I'm at my work machine but
>> when I get a chance I'll check my home machine which already has this
>> set up.
>
> I think, in the first instance, it was the iPod being am @rse: it wanted
> me to connect it to iTunes before it'd do anything (power-on only showed a
> USB->iTunes picture).
>
> We put iTunes on my son's laptop, and the iPod burst into life.
>
> *Then* I connected it to my son's Linux login and it showed up. However,
> I still get the same error (even after logging out and back in) in my login.
> Most odd.
>
>
>> Note that you can update music etc. using Rhythmbox or Amarok but you
>> won't be able to do everything (such as update the firmware) except via
>> iTunes. I do it with a Windows VM, which also requires a bit of setup.
>
> It does indeed now show up installed music in Rhythmbox (and gtkpod);
> however, we're incapable of installing music from that end. R says it's
> there after a bit of chugging, but the iPod doesn't; nuplug it & re-insert
> it & it's gone.
>
> Pretty much all my music is in .ogg; I had presumed that R would convert
> this to AAC or something upon copy, but iTunes is unwilling to do so, so
> maybe it's that.
>
> I've had to resort to exporting a selection to MP3 as “normal”, putting
> that into a dri set up to share for Windows, and then copy it on from the
> laptop's iTunes. Bit of a PITA, but at least it works.
>
>
> I shall be trying a Windows VM at some point in the semi-near future, so
> it you have any pointers in that regard, it'd be appreciated!
>
> --
> [neil@fnx ~]# rm -f .signature
> [neil@fnx ~]# ls -l .signature
> ls: .signature: No such file or directory
> [neil@fnx ~]# exit
>
> --
> users mailing list
> users@lists.fedoraproject.org
> To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
> Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 06-06-2011, 08:02 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan
 
Default Fedora 14: iPod not mounting

On Mon, 2011-06-06 at 09:47 +0100, Neil Bird wrote:
> Around about 03/06/11 20:01, Patrick O'Callaghan typed ...
> > A simple iPod mounts as a storage device, but a Touch or iPhone is a
> > more complex beast with its own protocol. I'm at my work machine but
> > when I get a chance I'll check my home machine which already has this
> > set up.
>
> I think, in the first instance, it was the iPod being am @rse: it wanted
> me to connect it to iTunes before it'd do anything (power-on only showed a
> USB->iTunes picture).
>
> We put iTunes on my son's laptop, and the iPod burst into life.
>
> *Then* I connected it to my son's Linux login and it showed up. However,
> I still get the same error (even after logging out and back in) in my login.
> Most odd.
>
>
> > Note that you can update music etc. using Rhythmbox or Amarok but you
> > won't be able to do everything (such as update the firmware) except via
> > iTunes. I do it with a Windows VM, which also requires a bit of setup.
>
> It does indeed now show up installed music in Rhythmbox (and gtkpod);
> however, we're incapable of installing music from that end. R says it's
> there after a bit of chugging, but the iPod doesn't; nuplug it & re-insert
> it & it's gone.
>
> Pretty much all my music is in .ogg; I had presumed that R would convert
> this to AAC or something upon copy, but iTunes is unwilling to do so, so
> maybe it's that.
>
> I've had to resort to exporting a selection to MP3 as “normal”, putting
> that into a dri set up to share for Windows, and then copy it on from the
> laptop's iTunes. Bit of a PITA, but at least it works.
>
>
> I shall be trying a Windows VM at some point in the semi-near future, so
> it you have any pointers in that regard, it'd be appreciated!

One of the goodies just announced today by The Steve as part of IOS 5 is
over-the-air syncing and updating. In fact he claims you'll be able to
run an IOS 5 device without having a computer, not even to set it up out
of the box.

poc

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:54 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org