Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Fedora User (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/)
-   -   Fedora 15 Classic gnome option (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/534331-fedora-15-classic-gnome-option.html)

Nathan Delboux 06-02-2011 10:35 PM

Fedora 15 Classic gnome option
 
Does anyone know if the Classic Gnome would become an option to use
if we don't like Gnome 3? or are just used to Gnome classic?



I'm all for change and don't really mind which way that Fedora heads
but i heard Ubuntu may have it an option with their Unity interface.
Good to keep the options open



Cheers

Nathan



On 06/03/2011 08:00 AM, users-request@lists.fedoraproject.org wrote:

Send users mailing list submissions to
users@lists.fedoraproject.org

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
users-request@lists.fedoraproject.org

You can reach the person managing the list at
users-owner@lists.fedoraproject.org

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
than "Re: Contents of users digest..."



Today's Topics:

1. Re: Fedora 15 boot delays - (Joe Zeff)
2. Re: Fedora 15 boot delays - (Tom Horsley)
3. Re: Fedora 15 boot delays - (Frank Murphy)
4. Re: Four Tweaks for Gnome 3 (Lars E. Pettersson)
5. Re: Four Tweaks for Gnome 3 (Genes MailLists)
6. Re: Four Tweaks for Gnome 3 (Joe Zeff)
7. Anaconda fails when installing F15 on VirtualBox
(aloysius@lavabit.com)
8. Re: Four Tweaks for Gnome 3 (Digimer)
9. Re: Four Tweaks for Gnome 3 (Pasha R)
10. Re: Fedora 15 boot delays - (Bob Goodwin)
11. Re: Four Tweaks for Gnome 3 (Rahul Sundaram)
12. Re: Preupgrade fc14 to fc15 failed, kernel is not installed
(Kevin J. Cummings)
13. Re: Four Tweaks for Gnome 3 (Ron Yorston)
14. Re: How to choose network path with two internet connection
(Kevin J. Cummings)
15. Re: Routing not working (JB)
16. /var/cache/abrt-di (Ranjan Maitra)
17. Re: Four Tweaks for Gnome 3 (Lars E. Pettersson)
18. Re: Preupgrade fc14 to fc15 failed, kernel is not installed
(Joe Zeff)






--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines

Stephen Gallagher 06-02-2011 10:49 PM

Fedora 15 Classic gnome option
 
On Fri, 2011-06-03 at 08:35 +1000, Nathan Delboux wrote:
> Does anyone know if the Classic Gnome would become an option to use if
> we don't like Gnome 3? or are just used to Gnome classic?
>
> I'm all for change and don't really mind which way that Fedora heads
> but i heard Ubuntu may have it an option with their Unity interface.
> Good to keep the options open


You're not likely to get much traction for this. The GNOME team doesn't
really want to continue supporting the 2.x line. You'll get some bugfix
support for it if you're running RHEL or its clones, but I highly doubt
that anyone is going to be sufficiently interested to maintain a
complete desktop environment that's abandoned by its upstream.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines

Patrick O'Callaghan 06-03-2011 12:21 AM

Fedora 15 Classic gnome option
 
Please don't reply to list digests. Changing the Subject line doesn't
make it OK. It's also pointless as it's trivially easy to compose a new
message to the list.

poc

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines

Olav Vitters 06-03-2011 09:46 AM

Fedora 15 Classic gnome option
 
On Thu, Jun 02, 2011 at 06:49:45PM -0400, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-06-03 at 08:35 +1000, Nathan Delboux wrote:
> > Does anyone know if the Classic Gnome would become an option to use if
> > we don't like Gnome 3? or are just used to Gnome classic?
> >
> > I'm all for change and don't really mind which way that Fedora heads
> > but i heard Ubuntu may have it an option with their Unity interface.
> > Good to keep the options open
>
>
> You're not likely to get much traction for this. The GNOME team doesn't
> really want to continue supporting the 2.x line. You'll get some bugfix
> support for it if you're running RHEL or its clones, but I highly doubt
> that anyone is going to be sufficiently interested to maintain a
> complete desktop environment that's abandoned by its upstream.

Sorry?

We have GNOME fallback in 3.x. The GNOME panel appearance has been
changed to match the way GNOME shell looks, but 1) you can change that
and 2) it is maintained. Due to all the platform changes, a few applets
weren't ported in 3.0, but there will be more applets in 3.2.

A lot of work has gone into GNOME panel and GNOME applets, totally
opposite from being abandoned.
--
Regards,
Olav
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines

Stephen Gallagher 06-03-2011 11:10 AM

Fedora 15 Classic gnome option
 
On Fri, 2011-06-03 at 11:46 +0200, Olav Vitters wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 02, 2011 at 06:49:45PM -0400, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> > On Fri, 2011-06-03 at 08:35 +1000, Nathan Delboux wrote:
> > > Does anyone know if the Classic Gnome would become an option to use if
> > > we don't like Gnome 3? or are just used to Gnome classic?
> > >
> > > I'm all for change and don't really mind which way that Fedora heads
> > > but i heard Ubuntu may have it an option with their Unity interface.
> > > Good to keep the options open
> >
> >
> > You're not likely to get much traction for this. The GNOME team doesn't
> > really want to continue supporting the 2.x line. You'll get some bugfix
> > support for it if you're running RHEL or its clones, but I highly doubt
> > that anyone is going to be sufficiently interested to maintain a
> > complete desktop environment that's abandoned by its upstream.
>
> Sorry?
>
> We have GNOME fallback in 3.x. The GNOME panel appearance has been
> changed to match the way GNOME shell looks, but 1) you can change that
> and 2) it is maintained. Due to all the platform changes, a few applets
> weren't ported in 3.0, but there will be more applets in 3.2.
>
> A lot of work has gone into GNOME panel and GNOME applets, totally
> opposite from being abandoned.


I was talking about the actual Gnome 2 desktop environment, not fallback
mode (which if I understand correctly is more of a skin on top of Gnome
3 than an actual feature-for-feature replica of Gnome 2)
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines

Albert de Jongh 06-03-2011 11:20 AM

Fedora 15 Classic gnome option
 
I must be missing all the ported applets - where are they?* I am thinking of - system monitoring applet, sensors applets, weather applet?

On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 11:46 AM, Olav Vitters <olav@vitters.nl> wrote:


A lot of work has gone into GNOME panel and GNOME applets, totally

opposite from being abandoned.

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines

Olav Vitters 06-03-2011 12:27 PM

Fedora 15 Classic gnome option
 
On Fri, Jun 03, 2011 at 07:10:12AM -0400, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> I was talking about the actual Gnome 2 desktop environment, not fallback
> mode (which if I understand correctly is more of a skin on top of Gnome
> 3 than an actual feature-for-feature replica of Gnome 2)

I already mentioned that is not the case[1]

See e.g.
http://www.vuntz.net/journal/post/2011/04/13/gnome-panel-is-dead,-long-live-gnome-panel!
--
Regards,
Olav

[1] aside from I mentioned: a few applets + layout
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines

Olav Vitters 06-03-2011 12:30 PM

Fedora 15 Classic gnome option
 
On Fri, Jun 03, 2011 at 01:20:13PM +0200, Albert de Jongh wrote:
> I must be missing all the ported applets - where are they? I am thinking of
> - system monitoring applet, sensors applets, weather applet?

weather is still coming, see
http://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-applets/tree/NEWS
(get gnome-applets 3.1.1)

The other ones not sure, I thought they were already ported.
--
Regards,
Olav
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines

Albert de Jongh 06-03-2011 12:55 PM

Fedora 15 Classic gnome option
 
Olav - there is no gnome-applets for gnome 3 currently packaged in fedora 15.* Unless I am really missing something.* I can only find the following in the repo:
Available Packages
Name******* : gnome-applets
Arch******* : i686

Epoch****** : 1
Version**** : 2.32.0
Release**** : 3.fc15

On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 2:30 PM, Olav Vitters <olav@vitters.nl> wrote:

On Fri, Jun 03, 2011 at 01:20:13PM +0200, Albert de Jongh wrote:

> I must be missing all the ported applets - where are they? *I am thinking of

> - system monitoring applet, sensors applets, weather applet?



weather is still coming, see

http://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-applets/tree/NEWS

(get gnome-applets 3.1.1)



The other ones not sure, I thought they were already ported.

--

Regards,

Olav

--

users mailing list

users@lists.fedoraproject.org

To unsubscribe or change subscription options:

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users

Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines



--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines

Olav Vitters 06-03-2011 12:57 PM

Fedora 15 Classic gnome option
 
On Fri, Jun 03, 2011 at 02:55:14PM +0200, Albert de Jongh wrote:
> Olav - there is no gnome-applets for gnome 3 currently packaged in fedora
> 15. Unless I am really missing something. I can only find the following in
> the repo:

Ah ok, didn't know. Then you'll have it in F16.
--
Regards,
Olav
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:15 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.