Old 06-02-2011, 10:14 PM
"Erik P. Olsen"

Default Colour printing question.

I have an HP Photosmart 8400 printer which can be accessed from both a linux box
and a windows box. When printing the same image from the two boxes the windows
print is far superior to the linux print. I have used for testing an image
scanned by a flat bed scanner (HP ScanJet 7400c) and the colours from the
windows print are very close to the original document. The linux print looks
somewhat misty. How can I change the printing software so it will produce more
natural colours?

HP PhotoSmart 8400 Foomatic/hpijs
kernel-2.6.35.12-88.fc14.x86_64

--
Erik

Old 06-02-2011, 10:29 PM
Konstantin Svist

On 06/02/2011 03:14 PM, Erik P. Olsen wrote:
> I have an HP Photosmart 8400 printer which can be accessed from both a linux box
> and a windows box. When printing the same image from the two boxes the windows
> print is far superior to the linux print. I have used for testing an image
> scanned by a flat bed scanner (HP ScanJet 7400c) and the colours from the
> windows print are very close to the original document. The linux print looks
> somewhat misty. How can I change the printing software so it will produce more
> natural colours?
>
> HP PhotoSmart 8400 Foomatic/hpijs
> kernel-2.6.35.12-88.fc14.x86_64

Check printing options to make sure you don't have options like "ink
saver" and that the DPI is reasonably high.
If that doesn't help, check if windows driver installed a color profile
for the printer - you'll want to install it in Fedora, too.

Old 06-07-2011, 03:56 PM
"Erik P. Olsen"

On 03/06/11 00:29, Konstantin Svist wrote:
> On 06/02/2011 03:14 PM, Erik P. Olsen wrote:
>> I have an HP Photosmart 8400 printer which can be accessed from both a linux box
>> and a windows box. When printing the same image from the two boxes the windows
>> print is far superior to the linux print. I have used for testing an image
>> scanned by a flat bed scanner (HP ScanJet 7400c) and the colours from the
>> windows print are very close to the original document. The linux print looks
>> somewhat misty. How can I change the printing software so it will produce more
>> natural colours?
>>
>> HP PhotoSmart 8400 Foomatic/hpijs
>> kernel-2.6.35.12-88.fc14.x86_64
>
> Check printing options to make sure you don't have options like "ink
> saver" and that the DPI is reasonably high.
> If that doesn't help, check if windows driver installed a color profile
> for the printer - you'll want to install it in Fedora, too.

Thanks for replying.

There is no "ink saver" option or the like and DPI is set to 600.
I can't find any colour profile in windows and I don't know where to look for
similar file in Fedora.

However, I find in the printing settings values like Saturation = 100%, Hue
adjustment = 0 and Gamma = 1000. Tweaking these values does change the colour
impression somewhat but I haven't found the "correct" combination. So I assume
I'll have to continue tweaking until I am satisfied. I wish there were a
description on how to.

--
Erik

Old 06-07-2011, 08:35 PM
"Erik P. Olsen"

On 07/06/11 17:56, Erik P. Olsen wrote:
> On 03/06/11 00:29, Konstantin Svist wrote:
>> On 06/02/2011 03:14 PM, Erik P. Olsen wrote:
>>> I have an HP Photosmart 8400 printer which can be accessed from both a linux box
>>> and a windows box. When printing the same image from the two boxes the windows
>>> print is far superior to the linux print. I have used for testing an image
>>> scanned by a flat bed scanner (HP ScanJet 7400c) and the colours from the
>>> windows print are very close to the original document. The linux print looks
>>> somewhat misty. How can I change the printing software so it will produce more
>>> natural colours?
>>>
>>> HP PhotoSmart 8400 Foomatic/hpijs
>>> kernel-2.6.35.12-88.fc14.x86_64
>>
>> Check printing options to make sure you don't have options like "ink
>> saver" and that the DPI is reasonably high.
>> If that doesn't help, check if windows driver installed a color profile
>> for the printer - you'll want to install it in Fedora, too.
>>
> Thanks for replying.
>
> There is no "ink saver" option or the like and DPI is set to 600.
> I can't find any colour profile in windows and I don't know where to look for
> similar file in Fedora.
>
> However, I find in the printing settings values like Saturation = 100%, Hue
> adjustment = 0 and Gamma = 1000. Tweaking these values does change the colour
> impression somewhat but I haven't found the "correct" combination. So I assume
> I'll have to continue tweaking until I am satisfied. I wish there were a
> description on how to.

Changing Saturation to 200 did the trick.

--
Erik

Old 06-08-2011, 08:29 AM
Tim Waugh

On Tue, 2011-06-07 at 22:35 +0200, Erik P. Olsen wrote:
> Changing Saturation to 200 did the trick.

It would be helpful if you could file a bug report so that we can
hopefully make that the default behaviour for that printer at 100%
saturation in future.

Thanks,
Tim.
*/

Old 06-08-2011, 09:07 PM
"Erik P. Olsen"

On 08/06/11 10:29, Tim Waugh wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-06-07 at 22:35 +0200, Erik P. Olsen wrote:
>> Changing Saturation to 200 did the trick.
>
> It would be helpful if you could file a bug report so that we can
> hopefully make that the default behaviour for that printer at 100%
> saturation in future.
>
> Thanks,
> Tim.
> */