-   -   Fedora 15 boot delays - (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/534239-fedora-15-boot-delays.html)

Frank Murphy 06-02-2011 06:40 PM

Fedora 15 boot delays -

On 02/06/11 19:30, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Thu, 02 Jun 2011 14:07:45 -0400
> Bob Goodwin wrote:
>
>> I guess what I'm looking for is advice, should I just turn up
>> network manager again or keep hoping that a solution comes along?
>
> Did you enable "network" when you disabled "NetworkManager"? I
> run that way all the time, and see no funny delays (in fact,
> as mind numbingly complex as systemd is, I still like it
> for the boot speed it brings - I find I boot a lot faster
> than I used to :-).

I concur very fast, even with nfs local.repo attached.

try it with yum-updateonboot with network
your at login before it's finished.
Any hint for it to wait until yum is finished?

Frank Murphy
UTF_8 Encoded
Friend of Fedora

Bob Goodwin 06-02-2011 08:23 PM

Fedora 15 boot delays -

On 02/06/11 14:40, Frank Murphy wrote:
> On 02/06/11 19:30, Tom Horsley wrote:
>> On Thu, 02 Jun 2011 14:07:45 -0400
>> Bob Goodwin wrote:
>>
>>> I guess what I'm looking for is advice, should I just turn up
>>> network manager again or keep hoping that a solution comes along?
>> Did you enable "network" when you disabled "NetworkManager"? I
>> run that way all the time, and see no funny delays (in fact,
>> as mind numbingly complex as systemd is, I still like it
>> for the boot speed it brings - I find I boot a lot faster
>> than I used to :-).

Yes I did the appropriate network/manager enable and disables.

I've enabled network manager again and disabled "network" and I
have the NM icon back and Ethernet must be good since it's
connecting to NFS.

The boot is faster, 1 min. 24 sec's instead of 3+ minutes, but
it stops a moment at cups scheduler and a lot longer "reloading
sm-client," once that's done I get a log-in prompt.

It's good enough the way it is now, not as good as before I
messed with disabling network manager, but everything seems to
be working well after boot.

I have another computer to install F-15 on. When I get to that
one I will know what not to do.

Thanks.

Bob
.

Tim 06-03-2011 11:02 AM

Fedora 15 boot delays -

On Thu, 2011-06-02 at 14:07 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> I was seeing some very slow boot times, probably self inflicted,
> until I re-installed F-15 after which it worked quite nicely.
> Until I disabled network manager and set up a non-dhcp network
> with system-config-network.
>
> Then I could connect to the internet by clicking on "Activate"
> and the browser and e-mail functions worked but there was no
> connection to the LAN. Ethtool reported there was no device.

Sound like the old: Something says NetworkManager is handling your
ethernet, and things wanting to use the network check to see whether
NetworkManager has said that the ethernet is up; but because
NetworkManager didn't bring it up, it says it's down.

The solutions to that were: Configure NetworkManager to *not* be
involved in that interface. Cave in and use NetworkManager to handle
that interface.

> I then did:
> cp /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-p2p1
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1 and rebooted and eth1
> came back on and I had access to my NFS, etc.

This sounds like the: The new ethernet is *not* called "eth" by
default, but named as per the BIOS hardware identifies it, yet you (or
something) expects eth-named devices.

> However the boot routine now stops at "Start LSB: The cups
> scheduler" and sm-client, 60 seconds at each one which makes for
> a long boot time. Normally that's only done once a day so it's
> mostly an annoyance but I would like to fix it so it works right.

Could be down to the first thing I mentioned: NetworkManager's still
considered to be in charge, and things are hanging around waiting for it
to do its thing.

I seem to recall there was an old thread mentioning that the time-out
could be adjusted to suit your purposes better.

I think you should have posted with NetworkManager mentioned in the
subject line, to stand a better chance of catching the attention of
those more familiar with bludgeoning it into submission. Boot delays
could be related to various different things, and the network geeks
might not read your message.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Bob Goodwin 06-03-2011 10:02 PM

Fedora 15 boot delays -

On 03/06/11 07:02, Tim wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-06-02 at 14:07 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>> I was seeing some very slow boot times, probably self inflicted,
>> until I re-installed F-15 after which it worked quite nicely.
>> Until I disabled network manager and set up a non-dhcp network
>> with system-config-network.
>>
>> Then I could connect to the internet by clicking on "Activate"
>> and the browser and e-mail functions worked but there was no
>> connection to the LAN. Ethtool reported there was no device.
> Sound like the old: Something says NetworkManager is handling your
> ethernet, and things wanting to use the network check to see whether
> NetworkManager has said that the ethernet is up; but because
> NetworkManager didn't bring it up, it says it's down.
>
> The solutions to that were: Configure NetworkManager to *not* be
> involved in that interface. Cave in and use NetworkManager to handle
> that interface.
>
>> I then did:
>> cp /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-p2p1
>> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1 and rebooted and eth1
>> came back on and I had access to my NFS, etc.
> This sounds like the: The new ethernet is *not* called "eth" by
> default, but named as per the BIOS hardware identifies it, yet you (or
> something) expects eth-named devices.
>
>> However the boot routine now stops at "Start LSB: The cups
>> scheduler" and sm-client, 60 seconds at each one which makes for
>> a long boot time. Normally that's only done once a day so it's
>> mostly an annoyance but I would like to fix it so it works right.
> Could be down to the first thing I mentioned: NetworkManager's still
> considered to be in charge, and things are hanging around waiting for it
> to do its thing.
>
> I seem to recall there was an old thread mentioning that the time-out
> could be adjusted to suit your purposes better.
>
> I think you should have posted with NetworkManager mentioned in the
> subject line, to stand a better chance of catching the attention of
> those more familiar with bludgeoning it into submission. Boot delays
> could be related to various different things, and the network geeks
> might not read your message.

Interesting points but I've already "thrown in the towel" and
re-enabled network manager. I'll save your comments in the event
I am inspired to take another shot at having it my way. This
works and I can better spend my time doing other things.

Thanks much.

Bob
.