Old 06-02-2011, 06:07 PM
Bob Goodwin

Default Fedora 15 boot delays -

I was seeing some very slow boot times, probably self inflicted,
until I re-installed F-15 after which it worked quite nicely.
Until I disabled network manager and set up a non-dhcp network
with system-config-network.

Then I could connect to the internet by clicking on "Activate"
and the browser and e-mail functions worked but there was no
connection to the LAN. Ethtool reported there was no device. I
then did:
cp /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-p2p1
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1 and rebooted and eth1
came back on and I had access to my NFS, etc.

However the boot routine now stops at "Start LSB: The cups
scheduler" and sm-client, 60 seconds at each one which makes for
a long boot time. Normally that's only done once a day so it's
mostly an annoyance but I would like to fix it so it works right.

That or I guess there's really no reason I can't live with
network manager. It's just that I don't need it, these computers
are all "desk top" computers firmly rooted to my desks and
tethered to the 60 cycle main.

I guess what I'm looking for is advice, should I just turn up
network manager again or keep hoping that a solution comes along?

Bob.

Old 06-02-2011, 06:18 PM
"Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak"

> I guess what I'm looking for is advice, should I just turn up
> network manager again or keep hoping that a solution comes along?

Personally, I've found that NetworkManager finally "just works" on
"normal" static and dhcp-assigned desktops.

We used to remove it as part of the install process, but we use the
default install now (with NM).

My 2 cents...

- Mike

Old 06-02-2011, 06:24 PM
Bob Goodwin

On 02/06/11 14:18, Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak wrote:
>> I guess what I'm looking for is advice, should I just turn up
>> network manager again or keep hoping that a solution comes along?
> Personally, I've found that NetworkManager finally "just works" on
> "normal" static and dhcp-assigned desktops.
>
> We used to remove it as part of the install process, but we use the
> default install now (with NM).
>
> My 2 cents...
>
> - Mike

I suspect you're right.

I'm probably a victim of "well I've always done this." I will
most likely try to make things as they were with NM again.

Thanks.

Bob

Old 06-02-2011, 06:26 PM
Joe Zeff

On 06/02/2011 11:18 AM, Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak wrote:
> Personally, I've found that NetworkManager finally "just works" on
> "normal" static and dhcp-assigned desktops.
>
> We used to remove it as part of the install process, but we use the
> default install now (with NM).

When I went from F13 to F14, I found that my DNS entries were being
blanked out every time I booted. It stopped when I disabled NM and went
back to using just network to control things. I do have NM active on my
laptop, but only because network doesn't seem to handle WiFi properly
and I sometimes need to use it. I don't know why it doesn't work for
me, but I'm glad it works for you.

Old 06-02-2011, 06:30 PM
Tom Horsley

On Thu, 02 Jun 2011 14:07:45 -0400
Bob Goodwin wrote:

> I guess what I'm looking for is advice, should I just turn up
> network manager again or keep hoping that a solution comes along?

Did you enable "network" when you disabled "NetworkManager"? I
run that way all the time, and see no funny delays (in fact,
as mind numbingly complex as systemd is, I still like it
for the boot speed it brings - I find I boot a lot faster
than I used to :-).

I keep trying to use NetworkManager each new release, and it
keeps doing things that make that impossible, and I have to
turn it back off.

For instance: I have a wi-fi dongle I want hostapd to manage
as an access point, but as soon as I plug it in, NetworkManager
says, "Oh That's mine!" and yanks control away. Or I run a
bunch of virtual machines with a bridged network setup and
NetworkManager still has no support for bridge.